Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides LSD and Migraine treatment

ViewAskewed

Greenlighter
First off "Hello"
This is my first time posting on bluelight, apologies if this is a reoccurring question. And if you could point me the way if its already been answered, but i searched barred it and couldnt find a straight answer.

SWIM heard A couple of years ago off a doctor that it might be worth trying a low dose of Lucy to effectively treat my cluster headaches, SWIM doses about once a year, started on 50ug and on the same night redosed 50ug. SWIM went through a pretty mind blowing experienced followed by a quick 45 minutes of the worst pain hes ever been through. But it worked, turning Cluster head aches into migraines and eventually migraines into headaches. Swim experienced another attack a year later but could only get 225ug. Once again it worked.
SWIM will never admit to anyone but his friends that it "sort of works" making the attacks more than bare able.

So my question is, does anyone actually know how LSD actually treats migraines/cluster headaches? SWIM tried a myriad of different opiate based pain killers to no avail.
Ive gotten no real solid info on how it works.

Thanks for any responses!

Welcome!

I'm not sure even the cleverest neurologist would be able to tell you, but I await answers just in case. I dont think migraines nor the mechanism by which psychedelic drugs ease them is particularly well understood yet.

As I have suffered from migraines all my life & had one a week ago, I am curious, do you dose LSD once the migraine starts? Or do you use LSD a certain number of times a year to prevent the headaches? I'm very pleased you have found relief from cluster headaches, which sound unbearable!

Swim finds that one dose of LSD and a couple of psylocybin trips in between a 12 month gap helps significantly. Although I wont claim it to be a "cure"

Although last night proved in SWIMs case they still lurk around, but the attack only lasted 3-4 hours (enough to make you contemplate straight biblical blasphemy to relieve) which they used to last up to 15.

Also have started recently recording the effects on general pain (2 who suffer from headache problems, and 2 who dont) between SWIM and 3 other people.
One of them found significant relief from acute headaches from both mushrooms, and LSD.

Obviously its being recorded by only observation and word of mouth.
Im doing it to determine if the dosages have an effect, as well as variables including weight, height, general health, habits, and all sorts .
You'd go through a lot of effort to keep these bad boys at bay. SWIM hopes one day he can help others who suffer.

Sorry, some other sites are really jumpy on the use, expecting everything to be SWIM'd or SWIY'd haha

this is very interesting indeed and IMO the cutting edge of psychedelic research, I am very interested in your approach and encourage you to take (and share) the most detailed notes you are comfortable with...for science...obviously

Psilocybin, LSA and LSD have been used in studies treating cluster headaches with positive results. Some of the first migraine medications were ergot derivatives and at least one was developed by Albert Hofmann. BOL-148 (2-bromo-LSD) is a non-psychoactive relative of LSD and was also used in an early US study to treat cluster headaches.

I also get terrible migraines and would love it if my main medication was LSD! Sadly occasional LSD use doesn't seem to prevent all migraines for me, but maybe it helps -- I don't take a long enough break from LSD to find out. Triptans work reasonably well for me -- they are tryptamine-based. I'm curious if micro-dosing psilocybin or LSD at onset of migraine would have a similar effect. Why wouldn't it? But I haven't tried it because I never feel like tripping when a migraine is setting in :? I'm interested to hear from people who have tried this.

Clusterbusters is a good resource for more information on the topic:
https://clusterbusters.org/medical-research-reports-studies-case-reports-links/

I would highly recommend switching to psilocybin mushrooms for cluster headaches, this rules out getting a bad product. Even if your tab or drops test positive for LSD, crystal purity is still unknown.

Si Ingwe said is best, I don't think many people know the answer it is truly a miracle to those who need it.

A bit of 4HO-DMT powder under the tongue at onset of headache...maybe a mg or two... Seems like a fairly benign and relatively safe thing to do(?)

OP ignore this, no offense swimhadadream but with cluster headache threads never ever recommend anything besides Psilocybin and LSD.

I could be wrong but what they are working with right now in EU is 2-Bromo-LSD? Someone correct me if I am wrong

OP ignore this, no offense swimhadadream but with cluster headache threads never ever recommend anything besides Psilocybin and LSD
4-ho-DMT is Psilocin, the active chemical in mushrooms.

My girlfriend has commented that the frequency and severity of her migraines has decreased dramatically after only ingesting LSD twice this year.

I don't get headaches, but I do experiment with psychedelics. While experimenting it is useful to isolate and remove variables. Psilocybin is rapidly dephosphorylated in the body into psilocin (4-HO-DMT). My line of thinking was to bypass this metabolism by having quick dissolving psylocin lozenges made for sublingual/bucal use. I do not claim to be educated on this topic.

But I haven't tried it because I never feel like tripping when a migraine is setting in :?

I cannot imagine how anyone would... If I heard that applying either shrooms or LSD or any psychedelic to my system while I was having a migraine might help, I might try it. All I have to do is eat a chocolate bar, & I'm pretty much guarranteed a migraine within days. I havent eaten an entire chocolate bar since the 80's :(

ah it's not that big a deal, but I like chocolate, & coz I will have a Rollo, a couple of M&M's or some other teeny fucking bit of chocolate, once in awhile, I am still blessed with a migraine once in awhile, for my trouble. My mum had 'em, & hers eased as she got older. Mine are easing too. Instead of an entire day of torturous agony of the head, I suffer only an hour or two nowadays, if that. I still don't think it's that fair that I should suffer any kinda headache just for eating a couple M&Ms but thems the breaks, I guess.

The fact that tripping might have eased my headaches had never really crossed my mind, & in all honesty, I don't think it has, because the pattern of my headaches is following that of my mums, who I am 1000% certain never took LSD or any other drug.

My girlfriend has had a migraine with a pain level of 7-8/10 for over a year now and half a gram of mushrooms completely diminished it to nothing for a day and down to a 4-5/10 pain level for the three days following.

... she sounds like a great candidate for micro-dosing of LSD or psilocybin. She clearly needs something to help day-to-day. Perhaps she should try using inactive doses, every day for a couple weeks, see how that goes. I honstly cannot imagine how I would survive with a constant migraine. I think I'd rather be dead. I'm really sorry for her :(

Psilostrips for headaches like baby aspirin for heart issues...I imagine a more educated future where stuff like this could be a pharmaceutical possibility

Last edited:
I remember watching a documentary and it did say that LSD does help with the pain of cluster headaches or migranes or whatever there called, but the idiot in the documentary said he wouldn't take LSD because it is a drug and it would be bad example for his teen daughters, who probably take LSD anyways :L

Inside LSD - Trip Into Hell? Around 12:00

I used to get migraines sometimes, cannabis helped for mine, it'd be intense & make me sick, give me a 'whitey', but after the whitey was done I'd finish the joint & be able to sleep, wake up without a migraine, it seemed to make it shorter & easier to deal with. It was really hard to smoke a joint with a migraine, but anything to help with that kind of pain was welcome, although it intensifies it a lot. I used to feel it in my stomach. Maybe it was an effect of gluten for me though, since found out I'm coeliac. Migraleve would help only if I took it at the first alerts a migraine might start & sometimes it didn't work even then.

I think I only got them in years when I hadn't tripped at all, but it could just be coincidence. I just went through 2 or 3 phases of getting migraines every month or so for a couple of years at a time. Not had any for years & I'm not sure what stopped them, it wasn't tripping, as far as I remember (some years I get a lot of mushrooms, other years I'm not bothered), probably just getting older.

Last edited: