• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and brain cells

Hah fair call. Still its odd that no-one has looked at the visual cortex, especially given the possible link to schizophrenia

Well, I think thats why the looked at prefrontal cortex, because most of the symptomes of schizophrenia are thought disturbances, and not really seeing whack things. But still, I can't believe they didn't even do a little "Oh, and btw we looked at the visual cortex, for all you people who know that I'm really interested in hallucinogens".

VelocideX said:
That's not really off-topic -- it relates to LSD and damage, whether to the cells or the biological structure as a whole.

What bothers me is the fact that after taking lots of hallucinogens people report grainy vision / "visual snow" (as its referred to). I'm curious as to what causes that...

I dont use acid or shrooms or well any pschedelics anymore - well to any quantity. I've dabbled with a few RCs in the past few years. I've only take acid once in the last 5 years.

Anyways, I have "tv vision" or snow or grainy vision, whatever you want to call it. I used to attribute it to LSD. I started taking LSD when I was around 19 or 20 and took it pretty frequently for the next 2 years or so then just stoped because I felt I was starting to get some weirid visual effects and thoughts that weren't as normal as to what I was accustomed. Everything except TV vision has dissappears and they all disappeared rather quickly, within 3 months.

As I've gotten older, I've discounted that TV vision was attributed to my LSD intake. I think it's something that I only noticed after took LSD. Because I can clearly remember laying around my yard looking up at the sky and seeing the grain in the clear blue sky. Same with trails - if I look for them, I'll definately see them.

Maybe LSD just makes us pay attention to things that we normally wouldn't notice. That's certainly true with some things about acid.

That is all.

^ ^ I'm going to have to agree moreso with what you just said, DrEIMiller. I mean, I'm also not discounting what anyone else has said, but I tend to feel intuitively that the "long-term effects" that a lot of people notice after taking large amounts of psychedelics were there all along. The psychedelic experience caused me to notice a lot of stuff, and now I can't go back to NOT noticing that stuff.

I find this concept to be comparable to when I taught myself to program in QuickBasic, when I was like 11 years old. After I got good at writing programming code, and was constantly playing games on my computer, I couldn't help but "deconstruct" (in my head) each game I would play. I would sit there and think about the program code that went into the drawing of the character, or I would wonder about all the different IF/THEN statements I was encountering in the playing of the game.... basically I was changed for life after "expanding my mind" to program code, and I could never enjoy computer games on the same level ever again.

Another similar analogy is about when I first started teaching myself to play guitar. I loved music, and it just made me feel good, like a drug. Then after a while, after my skills increased, I couldn't listen to music without deconstructing it into chords, and keys, and time signatures. It changed my life, and my perception of life, and I must deal with it forever until I die.... But it's not such a bad thing.

I feel the same things have happened from my psychedelic usage. It changed my life. I can't look at a tree without simultaneously seeing all the individual leaves, and the birds, and insects, and leaking tree sap. I no-longer just see a tree anymore.

People can call that HPPD if they want. I don't care. All I know is it hasn't negatively impacted my life in any way that I see all the minute details of existence now. In fact, quite the opposite, it has caused me to take things a lot more seriously. Some people might say I've gone overboard, because I can't walk down the street anymore without glancing down at my feet (through my peripheral vision) to make sure I don't step on any insects or small critters... Some might not understand that. But it's all subconscious to me. I'm not walking down the street Rainman-style saying "don't step on the ants, dont step on the ants, dont step on the ants...."

I just think psychedelics point out all the details that were there all along, and eventually you just can't NOT notice them. I can see how some people with a weaker mind might not be able to handle this....

Church

Hmm, I guess I don't have HPPD then. The only symptom that rang true for me was seeing floaters while looking at a blue sky. Yeah that happens to me... but I remember it happening when I was 12 years old, before I ever touched a drug, so I don't know what that means...

Church

yeah, that happens to everyone, I think that is the one example where your idea might be true. "I've got HPPD, and when I look at the sky, I see floaties, shit that must be caused by the HPPD".

Church said:
Hmm, I guess I don't have HPPD then. The only symptom that rang true for me was seeing floaters while looking at a blue sky. Yeah that happens to me... but I remember it happening when I was 12 years old, before I ever touched a drug, so I don't know what that means...

Church

That's caused by the liquid in your eye solidifying into small particles, which float around in your eye.

Everyone has them.

Can't vouch for this personally, but my brother in law says he knows a guy who did too much acid and isn't the same anymore. Don't know exactly what caused it. I've never met the guy.

this tv-vision or grainy vision is something i had hole my life and drugs has nothing to do with it,the symptoms get worse whem i'm tired or drunk ands almost completely go away when i'm on mdma.

BilZ0r said:
There is some evidence that cannabis does damage brain cells, so I wouldn't completely discount that theory.

Because of many influencing factors, I doubt we'll ever know if cannabis causes any cognitive imparement as a result of brain damage.

Does cannabis cause schizophrenia? Or are schizprenia-sufferers attracted to the drug etc.?

People who (generally) have a lower IQ may be attracted to the drug (e.g. juvenile delinquents etc.).

I doubt recreational doses of all cannibinoids are likely to cause any cognitive imparement/brain damage. However, subtle changes may take place that may make you more susceptible to mental illness. I doubt this can be regarded as brain 'damage'.

I like pizza.

Brain damage vs. subtle changes in your brain chemistry (e.g. levels of certain neurotransmitters). Perhaps I'm getting confused...