View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and brain cells

Novus Opiate

Bluelighter
We've all read the effects of acid, chromosone damage (which has been since disproven and still pretended to be a danger), flashbacks, and psychological problems with shizophrenics and mentally ill people.

My question is, what about the effects on brain cells? Does LSD kill brain cells? Surely if alcohol and weed damage brain cells then LSD does? Does LSD make you stupid?

Seriously though, if it didnt kill brain cells, then we are looking at the perfect drug. If you arent mentally ill, then there are no disadvantages to this drug! Flashbacks? FUCK OFF, thats a free trip right there and i doubt its existance anyway.

So whats to stop us from tripping hardcore all day night for like a month? Ive heard of liver damage, sure... But what if we want to go John Lennon styles and be a real "day tripper".

Your thoughts below thanks!

LSD doesn't damage brain cells and neither does marijauna. Alcohol definately does however.

You can't "hardcore everyday for like a month" because tolerance to LSD builds incerdibly fast, so that dose that you took on Monday, does less and less everyday until Friday - that same dose won't do shit to you. You have to keep upping and upping your doseage.

I think there's a part in the Electric KoolAid Acid Test where Kesey takes more and more acid everday, trying to see what happens if you're just tripping "hardcore everyday for like a month" - I think he gets pretty disenchanted with acid after that.

Does LSD kill brain cells?

No

Surely if alcohol and weed damage brain cells then LSD does?

Who said marijuana causes injury to the brain. Everything I've read suggests cannibinoids probably exert a protective effect on neural tissue under certain circumstances.

Does LSD make you stupid?

No.

X

It sounds to me from the 'tone' of your post that you tend to believe a lot of the lies out there about drugs. For instance, marijuana does NOT cause brain damage (get that through your head first)... and LSD certainly does not either. Also, LSD use has nothing to do with your liver... no damage will result there. And finally, your statement about there being no disadvantages to this drug seems to suggest a little naivete on your part... I personally love acid, it's my favorite molecule, and I've ingested it more than any other drug out there... but NOTHING is free from disadvantages. There's no such thing as the perfect drug for EVERY time and EVERY place.

So whats to stop us from tripping hardcore all day night for like a month?

How about, eventually we might want to interact with the people on the ground? As enlightened as we get (or feel that we get) while tripping, none of it matters until we come down and integrate it into sober society. I tripped every day for about 3 months, years ago, and all it did was widen the gap that I felt existed between me and the rest of society. Not that this was a bad thing, but eventually I realized there's no point being a god among people who aren't aware of it...

Church

There is some evidence that cannabis does damage brain cells, so I wouldn't completely discount that theory.

Meanwhile, Novus Opiate, I think your attitude towards drug use has a long way to go. Flashbacks seem to happen (search for HPPD), and its not a 'free-trip', it's not even plesant. Whats to stop you tripping all day and all night? Well despite availability, the idea that you might want to live a normal life and actaul do some useful things with your life.

And when it comes it Electric Cool-Aid Acid Test, not only do they get kinda bored of it, how many of the gang go completely insane from chronic LSD/stimulant use? Like 3 out of 12.

Last edited:
Ok you guys seem to have taken my post with some negative connotations, and assume i am wrong in saying what i have said. Let me clear things up.

Firstly, the evidence on wether or not marijuana damages the brain or not is highly questionable. We know it doesnt "kill" brains cells, but there are many other factors that havent been taken into account. My observations are that on the one hand, society likes to pretend that marijuana is bad mmmkay, and that yes it does damage your brain to such an extent that you cannot operate properly in society. You guys, or regular drug users, have the exact opposite approach and will quite happily abuse it and pretend it has no effect on your brain in the long term. I have many many druggy friends, 95% of which are idiots. They cant remember shit. I dont want to get too much into this arguement because you guys will no doubt defend your views to the grave so ill leave it at that...

Secondly when i say that theres no real harm is tripping non-stop for a month, im not implying that we should all do it. Im only saying that if that is the right action for me, then ill quite happily do it so long as my brain doesnt get raped in the long term (not being able to concentrate, think as well as i do now). Flashbacks are not a real issue for me, ill quite happily accept any nightmares that my brain throws my way because i always learn from my experiences and even the bad, or downright scary/hurting ones.

Much like marijuana, the evidence suggesting that LSD doesnt cause any harm to the brain is also questionable. To say outright that LSD doesnt cause brain damage is naive on your part as well. Instead of just masterbating all over this thread, why not put some real thought into wether or not it does harm the brain, or perhaps i am asking the wrong people?

Novus Opiate said:
Much like marijuana, the evidence suggesting that LSD doesnt cause any harm to the brain is also questionable.

Wrong, and wrong. Please show me some sources that back up this "questionability." Also, there have been no legitimate results from any marijuana study that suggest it damages brain cells, whereas there are results that suggest it might actually prevent this damage!

To say outright that LSD doesnt cause brain damage is naive on your part as well.

No, it's quite simply the result of there never having been any evidence of brain damage. I don't know how much simpler it can get. Dr. Hoffman, the fella that discovered LSD, made it a point to mention that little tidbit of information in his book, LSD: My Problem Child. Unfortunately I don't own that book, so I can't get a reference at the moment, unless someone knows of an HTML verison of the book?

Church

mrsumone, thanks for that link! I'll scan through it after work tonight and find a good source for mr Novus.

Church

“Damage” does not always lie in the destruction of a brain cell. Trauma can come in lots of forms.

It is indisputable that there have been, and will be, people that suffer psychological “damage” from taking highly psychedelic substances with out proper set or setting.

Their brain cells may not be on the proverbial frying pan, but for a small minority of users, emotional distress induced by a LSD experience may cause lasting negative consequences.

To say that LSD causes no “damage” what so ever for all users is naïve. Any type of extreme experience has the potential to harm a person on some level.

^ ^ I don't think that was ever an issue of dispute really... I personally thought we were talking about "brain damage," which generally refers to cells being damaged.

Psychological "damage" (if you want to call it that) is always a possibility with any kind of experience, whether it's winning the lottery, or fighting in a war, or whatever.

Church

True dat.... I guess it seems a bit off topic. Of course an argument could be made that extreme physical or psychological stress may, in fact, cause some types of brain damage. Could be, that this damage (specualtion here) is reflected in the lingering conditions such as PTSD.

Brains are so complicated. So cool.

Last edited:
Church said:
Wrong, and wrong. Please show me some sources that back up this "questionability." Also, there have been no legitimate results from any marijuana study that suggest it damages brain cells, whereas there are

This article here discusses the in vivo evidence for cannabinoids being neurotoxic.

As far as in vitro evidence goes, its preety obvious that high concentrations THC kills brain cells. See:Downer et al., 2003, Campbell, 2001 and Chan et al., 1998.

Last edited:
I'm not 'stupid', but last month when I had a large stash of liquid I was dosing everyday along with my friends for about a month, sometimes dosing everyother day, but for the most part I'd be trippin everyday for about a month straight. I don't notice any issues with my intelligence, but I have noticed that this increased my anxiety, made my symptoms of HPPD worst, and I'm also a lot more irritable than I used to be.

Bilzor, I read through that entire link you gave above and the results of those experiments were inconclusive at best. I appreciate you digging up the information, though.

Church