Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(LSD/4 hits) Awoke in a hospital bed

plainview

Greenlighter
This was my 5th time trying acid. Every previous trip had been completely carefree.

So I took my hits with two other friends (4 sugar cubes each) around 9:30 pm in my room at university. The room isn't an ideal location for tripping as it looks like a prison cell but all of my previous trips had been in the same location or an indentical room in the same student halls.

To try and put ourselves in a good mindset we watched one episode of a sitcom (Bored to Death) followed by one cartoon episode (Adventure Time). The first indication that something wasn't right was that the cartoon (which is pretty surreal) made me feel a little uneasy, I thought it was just too silly and yearned for something more grounded.

After the cartoon had ended we started listening to music. My friends and I had created a gigantic music playlist which consisted of one three song playlist each followed by an album each plus a Dylan album to top it all off, (a pre-requsite surely?) with the aim of watching a film and playing some video games later in the night.

We arranged it so that my playlist started first and that my album played last meaning that after my playlist had ended I wouldn't hear any music that I had chosen for nearly two hours.

Selflishly, I just could not enjoy my friend's music for the most part and spent the first two hours distracting myself with a Bridget Riley art book which contained a bunch of opitcal illusions. Like in all of my previous trips, I had cellotaped some multi coloured lights to the ceiling which bathed the room in some pretty glorious light. Usually staring at these lights was a pleasant sight but this time I looked up to see patterns of skulls surrounding each light bulb. I was kinda alarmed as I had not seen anything like this before so I took my eyes off the celing and retreated back to reading my weird art book.

For some reason I soon became unreasonably irritated by my two friends. I felt that one of them was fidgeting far too much and ruining my vibe, the other was just kind of losing it, not really in a negative sense just laughing and dancing like an idiot.

Once my album began my mood dramatically improved, and by the 4th song I felt incredible. I asked my friends whether they wanted to take down the lights off the ceiling and hold them in our hands as we had done during previous trips. Once we took the lights down (which was a bit of struggle but felt at the time as epic as raising the American flag over Iwo Jima) and I held them in my hands the trip really began to pick up. I'm confident I experienced some form of ego death. For a few minutes at a time I began to stop feeling as if I was a person and felt like I was just expereincing raw sensual stimuli. The second half of my album was probably one of the best feelings I have ever felt. It was just pure ecstasy. Once my album finished Dylan started and we were all just amazed by the power of the experience. I switched on my tv which was hooked up to my pc and brought up some trippy images of Dylan and we sat and just laughed hysterically at how joyous we all felt. I began to have the morbid thought that if I had to die it may as well have been at that point in time because although I'm happy with my life I just couldn't imagine feeling any better than I did at that moment.

Around 10 minutes later I experienced some uncomfortable sensations in my chest and began to slightly panic. I left my room (which was swelteringly hot) and went next door and lay on my friends bed to get some air. Even with the discomfort in my chest I was still feeling overwhelmingly euphoric.

It's at this point in the night that my memory begins to fail me. My friends came into the same room to have a cigarette. After I had calmed down and my chest discomfort had subsided we talked about how good we felt, just general positive things. I then went next door picked up my guitar and amp and brought it into my friend's room. For some reason I was under the impression I could play guitar really well (I can barely play the thing) and started telling my friend's that I needed to practice because for some reason I believed that the trip had enabled me to know how to play. Just after this I had the strange thought that my friends and I were sharing the exact same thoughts.

The next period is really hard to remember. For some reason I went back into my room in a panic and threw a massive bag of crisps (chips) against the wall. That's the last memory I have of being in my halls that night.

At this point I can't rely on my own recollections to explain what happened. I have fragments of memories of running around the city but nothing distinct, it was like being in a really murky, unclear dream. I have hazy images of walking up to people and experiencing strage delusions about the universe that I can barely recall. Something about shouting out letters and colours in different orders and combinations so that I wouldn't die or I would become immortal or something crazy.

At some point I remember being forced down to the ground and later being put into a van whilst handcuffed. As I said at the time I didn't think any of what was happening was real and I tried to "unimagine" the handcuffs around my wrists as If I was in a bad dream and could change my reality just by thinking it. After this point I have some confused memories of being taken into a hospital by police and being asked questions by nurses. I kept hearing the police and doctors mention that I was on LSD and couldn't remember telling them what had happened so I continued to believe that I was dreaming.

My first lucid memory after this point was lying in a hospital bed on the A&E ward. I was completely confused as to where I was, what had happened to me and even whether I was still alive. I looked down to see that my ankle and wrists were severely inflammed and I had wounds all over my body. I was being watched over by some terrifying looking Somalian security guard with a lot of missing teeth. I asked him what happened and he told me I needed to wait for the doctor to arrive. Shortly after a nurse came to see me and told me that I had fractured my ankle and that I had been brought in by the police who I had been violent with. I could barely believe what she was telling me because generally I'm pretty terrified of confrontation and I have never been in a fight in my life.

I went though a series of scans and various nurses asked me questions about what happened but I still wasn't confident that what I was expereincing was reality and thought that I might wake up at any moment. I made a trip to the bathroom and saw that my face was just a mess. I had a massive bump on the side of my head, a gash above my eyebrow and a lot of brusing around my right eye and cheek as if I had been punched.

I think that I was brought into the hospital around 5 am and I was discharged around 4pm.

Once I limped back home on crutches my friends came into my room looking pretty angry and asked me to explain myself. I told them that I had very little memory of what happened that night and that they would know more about what happened to me than I would. They informed me that I had ran out of my room without any shoes whilst talking gibberish that started with full sentences about discovering the meaning of life and then just degraded into individual words. Apparently I was screaming this nonsense as I ran down the stairs and into the building's foyer, a security guard tried to help me but I pushed him off and ran into the street. After scaring a lot of people and doing myself harm someone called the police who restrained me for my own safety and took me straight to hospital.

The whole experience was just a nightmare. I can barely remember anything let alone fracturing my ankle and being arrested.

What I'm curious to know is why did this happen? As I've said I've done LSD 4 times previous to this in almost the exact same circumstances (same room, same people etc.). I didn't feel any different to how I've felt the previous occasions I tripped, I'm not depressed and I don't suffer from any mental health problems or anything.

I'm sure you could get many different answer's to 'why' this happened.

My answer would be that this is just LSD. It's not a toy and it has a capability to do anything it pleases. Your experience doesn't sound that much different than my first (and only!) LSD experience. As happened with me, it sounds like you just simply did too much, not that you had a method of measuring how strong each tab was.. but you know what I mean.

Don't be surprised if memories of that night slowly begin coming to your consciousness in the next couple months. Unfortunately, they will probably be mixed with false memories and hallucinations that only confuse matters.

Best of luck to you my friend, and if you decide to partake again in the future, always start with 1/2 to 1 tab, as you experienced it's impossible to tell how strong just one is

Yeah classic case of way too much acid.

I've had single drops of liqqy that felt like 3+ doses, and you better believe I always test a batch with a single drop first.

I had a very similar experience in April.. I have no memory of the night but was told what happened.. Which was all very out of character for me..

I've tripped on acid hundreds of times and had candy flipped on numerous occasions..

All I remember are flashes which I thought I was dreaming..

When the ole ego dissolves its 'fight or flight', and you fought it my friend...

Sounds like such a crappy place to be in......I had been thinking that I want to try acid at some point in the next 6 months, maybe now I'm not so sure

I know its a case of having too much and that this experience is an exception rather than the rule, but hmmmm......

I guarantee you, one tab is a totally different ball game than four. It's not four times stronger, it's more like one to the power of four.

Last person I saw eat four tabs also ended up in the hospital but that was his first time, and I have no idea what he was trying to prove.

Don't let the unwise decisions of others turn you off at least trying what is an astoundingly beautiful substance.

I'm not going to deny that this wasn't a really nasty, traumatic thing to happen but I don't think you should be deterred completely.

As I've said the first four instances in which I dropped acid (I never took more than 3 hits btw) were totally carefree and some of the most profound moments I have ever witnessed.

From my very limited experience I would suggest to never take more than 2 hits, just because you can never be too sure how much of the substance you are actually taking. I used to think the exact opposite to this, but it's better to have too little than too much.

I guarantee you, one tab is a totally different ball game than four. It's not four times stronger, it's more like one to the power of four.

Last person I saw eat four tabs also ended up in the hospital but that was his first time, and I have no idea what he was trying to prove.

Don't let the unwise decisions of others turn you off at least trying what is an astoundingly beautiful substance.

Yeah I see what you mean.

What I don't really get though is that from what I've read during the early days of LSD (60s etc.) doses tended to be massively higher than they are today. So did people back then tend to only take small doses because surely four hits today would equal barely one hit in the past?

it's more like one to the power of four.

haha isn't one to the power of four just one? I think you're trying to say it has an exponential dose response curve though, which I agree with to some extent

Yeah I see what you mean.

What I don't really get though is that from what I've read during the early days of LSD (60s etc.) doses tended to be massively higher than they are today. So did people back then tend to only take small doses because surely four hits today would equal barely one hit in the past?

nah people have been having bad trips on varying doses since the beginning of the widespread use of LSD. Not everyone will react the same way you did off of 4 hits, the chemical affects everyone differently and there are definitely people that take way more LSD than 4 hits and are fine and other that take half that amount and have similar trips to this report

haha yeah excuse my stoned mis wordings. I meant one dose to the power of four though, so however many micrograms to the power of four. Hopefully your tabs aren't loaded at 1ug ;)
It wouldn't be totally exponential I don't think, but that's the most accurate way I think it can be described, at least by myself.

But yeah, it's all about set and setting.
I've had one nightmarish trip, and that was on a single tab. I've done much higher doses since, and had done higher doses before said experience.
It was just a bad attitude, and bad judgement that caused that experience for me. (Set and Setting always)

Don't get confused, dosage certainly does not determine whether a trip is good or bad.

The best advice I can offer is test your product. New batch of liqqy, tabs you've never taken, a new dealer, Doesn't matter.
I always test a new lot of acid to determine generally how strong it is. Usually with 1 dose, but often I'll cut board in half to test it first up, as you never know.

For example not a month ago, I had a strip of four tabs that altogether were about the same strength of a single tab a friend of mine had in his possession.
That one bad trip was enough for me to never underestimate the potential of LSD, not at any dose.

this is why its always a good idea to have someone who is *not* tripping to play babysitter... and that person needs to be someone that A) is skilled in the art of talking to someone who is in a completely altered state of mind to not do someithing stupid, B) can physically stop that person from hurting themself, others, or running off, etc...