• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

lsat advice

PlurPsyed

Bluelighter
Pretty self explanatory. I'm taking the lsats in a week and a half. Was wondering if anyone had any useful advice especially pertaining to the reading comprehension section. Also is adderall a good idea for this test or is a potential recipe for disaster? Would like to hear others experiences with taking this exam. I'm a little freaked out at this point.

Pretty self explanatory. I'm taking the lsats in a week and a half. Was wondering if anyone had any useful advice especially pertaining to the reading comprehension section. Also is adderall a good idea for this test or is a potential recipe for disaster? Would like to hear others experiences with taking this exam. I'm a little freaked out at this point.

Wow. I would say you should be freaked out if you haven't cracked an LSAT study book yet. The first time I took the GRE I studied for a couple of months. In retrospect I prolly should have studied more and longer but hey, that's my fault. I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure the LSAT is more difficult than the GRE.

As for the adderall, I don't know shit about the drug itself. But I would recommend NOT using it unless you are an experienced user. If you are not experienced using it in stressful test-taking scenarios then the adverse effects it has on your body could stress you out to the point of completely fucking up the exam. I am very sensitive to stimulants so I know that I personally wouldn't touch the stuff because I wouldn't be able to relax and chill right before the test. ymmv.

Good luck and don't freak out too bad. You can always take it again.

It's not at all clear whether you're just starting to think about this (with a week to go before the exam?) or whether you're looking for last-minute tips. I'm going to assume the former (because I don't know anything about Adderall) and say this: if you haven't studied for the LSAT, then you shouldn't take it. It's that simple.

And when it comes to the LSAT, studying means taking practice exams like it's your full-time job for months. That's honestly what it takes. You can't possibly wing it. And even though you can take it again -- as many times as you want to, in fact -- a low score doesn't just disappear. When I took it (late '90s), I took a leave of absence from work, took Princeton Review, studied all summer in preparation for the fall exam, and then delayed until the winter exam in order to study an extra couple of months. There's absolutely zero point in taking it just to get it over with. It doesn't work that way, and you'll destroy your chances of being admitted to a law school that's worth paying for.

The LSAT ... it really is that serious and that difficult. I don't remember much of anything from law school or the bar exam. But I remember the LSAT like it was yesterday.