• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Lowering Ph levels of organic solvents with various weak acids

Sertürner

Bluelight Crew
I am a chem student and most of my work has been about lowering Ph levels of H20 using strong acids such as HBr or HClO4 or weak acids such as HNO2 or HF.

I am wondering if the principles apply to using weak acids like citric acid or acetic acid to change the Ph of organic solvents such as alcohols and non-polar solvents.

As an example: If I need x amount of acetic acid to lower the Ph of H20 from 7 to 4, would the same amount of acetic acid be required to lower the Ph of ethanol (let's assume the Ph of ethanol is 7 instead of 7.4) to 4 as well? Or would I need to take other things into account?

Since Ph is a measurement of H+ ions dissociated in solution, what factors are in play when measuring H+ concentration in a solution that is not H20?

Last edited:
pH is ill defined in solvents without water.

pH is ill defined in solvents without water.

Yeah since pH is just the -log of [H+] dissociated in H20 I could not think of how to go about doing this. I guess litmus paper will just have to do without calculating pH and [H+].

Thank you @sekio

Does this help? I have no idea if it does, lol.

It helps a bit thank you. I will just be using litmus paper I think and that will tell me approx what I am at. Wish I could know on paper though through the math.