• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Lower Sex Drive on Benzos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ba6161

Greenlighter
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, forgive me if I am. I was prescribed temazepam a little over two months ago for insomnia/sleep anxiety, and I take one 30 mg capsule a night as prescribed by my doctor. I used to have a huge sex drive up until I started taking this and was wondering if this is common. My sex drive is affected all day even when I'm not on the drug, my orgasms are mediocre now and my ejaculation amount is smaller compared to what it used to be. I've never had anything like this happen to me until I started taking a benzo so I'm just curious if this is normal. I'd honestly rather sleep like crap and have a huge sex drive and normal orgasms again than continue to take this. When I was sleeping horribly I'd wake up in the morning horny, and be horny throughout the day, but now I wake up with very little sexual desire at all. I have no dependence to it, I'll go a few nights without taking it if I'm sleeping fine, so no worries there. I've also been a lot more sad and have more worried thoughts during my days since I started taking it if that needs to be known. Thanks in advance everyone!

Lowered libido is a possible side-effect of benzodiazepine use unfortunately. This isn't the case for everyone, but for many, myself included, it is. Given the fact that a reduced libido is a life-changing issue for you (I'm not saying it shouldn't be) and the other negative effects you mentioned, benzodiazepines may not be the appropriate remedy for your insomnia. Increased depression seems to be a less common side-effect from this class of drugs, but I happen to experience this as well. When I take any benzodiazepine, I become more liable to severe apathy/depression. The rebound anxiety, however, isn't that strange.

What other medications have you tried for your insomnia? There are a few out there and these days Temazepam (Restoril) is far from a first-line choice for most prescribers.

Yup, benzos and all other downers kill my sex drive..a very unfortunate side effect and one which is not easily remedied..the only thing u can do is take a stimulant which then raises anxiety..

U think benzos hurt sex drive don't go near Ssris...lol..

And yeah, benzos tend to increase depression/apathy and increase anxiety in many users..reading all this makes me want to stop taking benzos lol but they are so effective for anxiety..

I've never experienced benzos interfere with my sex life. Opiates? sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.