• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Low dose Doxepin interactions with LSD. Will it potentiate or diminish the trip?

Zapgunn

Bluelighter
I take low dose Doxepin (10mg) every night as a sleep aid. Recently came into contact with some LSD and plan on taking it soon. How do tricyclic antidepressants affect LSD or other hallucinogens? When I was taking SSRI's (Lexapro) the medication diminished the trip so much, for both acid and shrooms, that it wasnt even worth the time or money to try to trip while taking the medication. I've googled around and have read reports that Doxepin (or other TCA's) might actually potentiate the trip! I haven’t read any experiential reports that claim this is actually true. I did see one report of a person claiming that Doxepin greatly reduced his acid trip, but he was on a MUCH higher dose than me (100mgs) and wasnt sure if it was a bad batch of LSD or not.

So how do y'all think my very low dose doxepin will affect the trip? Should I wean off of it to get full effects? Also if it does potentiate it, should I take a lower dose? I'm planning on taking it in a rave setting... so not really looking for it to potentiate it too much lol. Hoping it doesnt affect my trip much at all 🤷‍♂️

Doxepine is a potent antagonist at the major binding site of serotonergic hallucinogens, so good possibility that it will diminish the trip. Yet your dose is maybe low enough for to be selective for H1, and/or the LSD binding tightly enough to break though the antagonism.

I found shrooms to have virtually no effect when taken with venlafaxine, but 1cP-LSD didn't care about the venla and brought full-on visuals. It's all about the specific binding affinities.
Oh, psychedelics have been shown to be effective antidepressants (inducing neurogenesis, that is probably) even in the presence of an antagonist! So the LSD isn't lost even if the acute trip should be abolished.

You shouldn't notice much of a difference from just 10mg doxepin, but it could reduce effects some.

I would skip it the day of and maybe the day before if you can.