• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles Low Blood Sugar - Edibles

Dcole461

Bluelighter
Hello all,

In the past year or so I've switched mainly to edibles because my tolerance is so high. I can smoke all the weed I want with no negative effects other than faster heart rate, sometimes a bit of anxiety, but I have that anyway lol

However, if I have too much in edibles, I have what I think are the symptoms of low blood sugar. Intense chills/shaking, anxiety, irregular heartbeat. Eating gummy worms or other sugary snacks seems to help a lot but they just take away the negative symptoms temporarily (I have to keep eating it constantly or symptoms return minutes later), but they definitely don't allow me to enjoy the high.

I've tried breaking up my dose, so rather than taking 90mg at once, I'll take 15-30mg each hour for 4 hours with a 2 hour break after that and that seems to help. But I don't get as high as I want.

I use cannabis medically and recreationally. I'll eventually see my MJ doc, but don't really want to go in now. Does anyone have experience with this or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Switching to edibles is a bit like a new drug, you will get all the benefits you get from smoking but your recreational high will be more psychedelic and possibly more of a trigger for anxiety. I am unaware of any real negative from using edibles vs smoking, the delta 11 is much more psychedelic but the health benefit from not smoking or breathing in heated vapour should easily offset this.

Anxiety isn't directly caused by marijuana but being high can trigger it. I like to remind myself there is nothing to be anxious about besides anxiety and it really isn't an issue. To be fair I am on a medical marijuana prescription and I have chosen edibles vs smoked for years. I used mindful meditation practices and educated myself about both my medical condition and the drug I was using.

Learning the simple fact that my marijuana was the safest drug I've ever had, so much safer than my sugar and coffee it became a very non anxious headspace

Good luck and yeah breaking up doses does help get past the anxiety at first but once you learn to just dismiss it as not accurate thinking edibles becomes a smooth good day and smoking occasionally is still a great recreational high.

Weed has some weird relationship with insulin. It does this to me too. I'm prone to hypoglycemia and taking over 100mg in edibles pretty much guarantees I get hypoglycemia if not eating properly

Eat a lot of protein and fat along with your edibles, and you'll feel much better. Avoid simple carbs/sugars like the plague.

My solution is a protein shake with a lot of peanut butter and chocolate casein protein. Will keep you straight for hours.

Really could be anxiety due to the ROA. Hard to know if it’s hypoglycaemia. Do you experience cold sweats as well? I’d definitely get a blood glucose monitor because it would be interesting to know what your blood sugar levels are when you’re having those symptoms. They aren’t very expensive on amazon.

Just in case though that it is hypoglycaemia, you need to be taking a fast acting carb to raise that sugar level up, like pure orange juice or coke, candy can help too if you’ve nothing else. Then you need to be thinking about your diet. As was said above you wanna be concentrating on ensuring you’re getting enough proteins, fats and complex carbs. Apples with peanut butter and wholegrain crackers for snacks is a good idea. If you google reactive hypoglycaemia diet you’ll get more ideas of what to eat to help keep your sugar levels stable.

I definitely would be going to the dr though or making sure I get a blood glucose monitor. It’s really important to know if it is hypoglycaemia. When you’ve ruled that out then anxiety would be the likely culprit and you’re having a panic attack.

happens to me too, lots of delta-9 fucks with your nervous system signals like crazy. i know i've dosed too high when muscles start spazzing out. i was able to get hooked up to an EKG machine once when i was so lit i couldn't even measure my own pulse but the readings on the machine were completely normal. the mind believes terrible things are happening but the body is actually fine and it's just the nervous system getting a workout

OP when I take edibles, it’s typically 10+ mg. Once, ~12hours after 20 mg dose, I had my weekly nurse visit @dialysis nurse just 12 hours later. oops....but she recorded a very low blood pressure. And it is something I’ve found when measuring my own blood pressure too.

I think smoking definitely lowers my blood sugar though. I gotta get that tested one day.

Tom

It may be the sugar content of the edibles? I usually go most of the day without eating just fine, but I find that if I put real sugar in my coffee or have half a donut with my coffee, the sugar causes my insulin to spike and then my sugar plummets.

Try eating the edible after a meal of complex carbs. Try an egg and a small bowl of oatmeal or something similar 😊