• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder (Help!)

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
Not going to give too many details, but I'm in love w/ someone who has Borderline Personality Disorder. And it sucks. She led me on for about a month before becoming girlfriends w/ someone w/ more money and now treats me like total crap. I know I should "move on, she's not worth it", which I'm trying to do. Just looking for similar experiences or insights into BPD in general. (I'm usually pretty knowledgeable about mental illness, but this is one of the most confusing/disturbing ones I've ever encountered).

Thanks <3

I had a borderline sister and mother. It's to the point where i have not said a word to either of them in a long time.
My Fiancé is borderline too... though its not working anymore between us.
I'm like a magnet for them fuck.
My advice is move on... they are to unstable... ilived with my sis and mum all my life and still have no way of just living a normal life...with them.

The best way to describe it is as an "emotional roller coaster" ride. Those with BP have much insecurity. They experience a variety of rapidly changing feelings.

Their feelings of emptiness stem from the fact that they have a poor sense of self-esteem. Borderlines do not know who they are and can spend a life time trying to find out. This may be evidenced through numerous career changes, frequent moves to different geographical locations and attempts to fit in with others.

Borderlines lack trust in others and do not value themselves highly, as a result they tend to feel they are unworthy of love and that they will be let down by those close to them. This is understandable when interactions with parents and family members were abusive, they have been taught not to trust. They expect to be let down even abused.

As a result of their lack of self-esteem they tend to choose dominant partners who are able to give their life purpose and meaning through association. They fear abandonment which is either real (such as the impending break up of a relationship) or imaginary e.g. distrust of a partners fidelity. They also undertake in behaviour that perpetuates their own abandonment.

Borderlines tend to have strong feelings of guilt seeing themselves as "bad", "not good enough" or when sexual abuse has occurred "dirty". They may even feel they deserve the punishment they get when their adult relationships become abusive - it's comfortable to them because they may be used to it.

Sex is usually an ordeal for Borderlines if sexual abuse occurred in their childhood as they associate the act with their abuse.

Borderlines are angry people reacting inappropriately to trivial situations. They can rage when their needs are not met (having a sense of entitlement despite their apparent lack of self-worth) or when they fail to be good enough and can remain angry for a long time after the event.

When relationships end normal people grieve then accept that it is in effect over and move on with their lives. Borderlines will often "to and fro" impulsively ending a relationship then go on to regret their decision. They feel overpowered by emptiness and not knowing who they are and become desperate to go back to their ex who largely defines their existence. This can happen several times before the relationship finally ends.

Being the partner of a Borderline can be a harrowing experience and inevitably partners have thoughts of leaving. If a Borderline has been dumped (or suspect they will be) they will say and do anything to win back their ex. This may include attempting to or make threats to commit suicide in order to show their commitment to "die for love", gauge the depth of her ex's feelings or even to make them feel sorry for what they did to hurt them. Of course suicide is also a way out of the despair they feel. These attempts to avoid abandonment may work in the short term but they do nothing to keep a partner long term. They do not reinforce feelings of love, more often that not it just evokes guilt and pity.

Borderlines tend to fall in love quickly, their relationships develop fast and may burn out just as fast. They do not take the time to get to know the person they are attaching themselves to, their values or their character. They open themselves up to the other person quickly possibly having sex on their first date, moving in with their new partner within a few weeks and getting married within a few months. They will have an inflated view of their partner - that their new love interest is the best thing that has ever happened to them, good and true.

Not long after the relationship starts reality starts to creep its way in. A Borderlines partner may do something that shows they are not perfect and the situation does a complete 180 degree turn. The Borderline sees their partner as distasteful and unworthy, this is deflation.

The Borderline can only see in black and white, someone is either "all good" or "all bad" at one time. This is known as "splitting". For example, imagine that a woman spends all day in the kitchen preparing a surprise meal for her partner. She cooks all his favourite dishes, dims down the lights and sets the table just so. She has thoughts about how great her partner is, how much they love them and how well the evening is going to go. The partner comes home an hour late, possibly because work was busy and there was heavy traffic etc. With a Borderline there is no "he's late, I wonder why? I'm upset because my effort has been spoiled but then again I didn't warn him. well he looks upset he's late let's enjoy what we can." there is only "he doesn't appreciate what I do for him, he doesn't love me, he's useless". So they rage, say hurtful things and lash out. Later on when they calm down they reflect on what they have done and become afraid of abandonment they will try to make amends. Their relationships can be extremely passionate where good "make up sex" seems to support the idea that the relationship is meant to be but ultimately the relationship starts to suffer and often ends as quickly as it started.

This black and white view of others is also mirrored in their view of themselves. Borderlines think: "when you are good, you may feel entitled to special treatment and live outside the rules made for others. You may feel entitled to take whatever you wish and to have everything good al to yourself. When you are bad, you may feel entitled to nothing. You may feel responsible for all that is evil and expect punishment. If punishment does not come, you may invite it from others or inflict it on yourself" (pg. 15). He goes on to explain that a Borderline has the ability to affect other people's feelings and behaviours on the basis of the intensity and changeability of their feelings (projection/transference).

Borderlines experience paranoia and dissociation when they are under stress. They fear people are conspiring to harm them and experience a "loss of awareness, time, location or their identity." Most people experience dissociation to some degree in their lives e.g. daydreaming in lectures or whilst driving a car. People with BPD may experience more regular and lengthier episodes to the point where they have lost days and can't remember where they have been or what they have done - it feels as if they are losing their mind or having a nervous breakdown. It is not uncommon for normal people to experience such dissociation during periods of stress.

Borderlines love love - they are obsessed by it and will do anything to ensure they get it. To them it is a means of filling up their loneliness and lack of Self through another person rather than an expression of regard or caring for someone as an equal partner.

While their need for love is apparent they don't know how to return love. In reality they are afraid of intimacy and do not have the emotional strength to fight their fears of inadequacy or abandonment in a manner that makes it possible for them to return love. After the passion of new love subsides they become bored, often moving on to a new partner. If they continue in the relationship "instead of deepening concern and communication, there ensues a struggle for control. The arena of this often violent struggle may include time, money, sex, fidelity, spiritual beliefs, children, or physical and emotional distance. The centerpiece of the struggle is the threat of abandonment."

Borderlines do not trust others and as such their relationships are fraught with battles. They are manipulative and will hurt others when their needs are not being met by raging or sometimes by physically hurting themselves or less likely their partners. Because partners get frustrated and try to regain their own power they may "strike back or flee."

Borderlines do not love themselves, in fact they practice self-hatred. Psychologists often comment that anyone who doesn't love themselves can't truly love others.

Regardless of how a person with Borderline Personality Disorder alters and tailor her appearance and actions to please others, she often presents with a clear and characteristic personality pattern over time. This pattern usually evolves through three stages: The Vulnerable Seducer, The Clinger, and The Hater. This evolution may take months, and sometimes even years to cycle through. In the later periods, the personality often swings wildly back and forth from one phase to the next.
-----------
a quote from "Romeo's Bleeding" -
The world ails her. Physical complaints are common. Her back hurts. Her head aches. Peculiar pains of all sorts come and go like invisible, malignant companions. If you track their appearance, though, you may see a pattern of occurrence connected to the waning or waxing of your attentions. Her complaints are ways of saying, "don't leave me. Save me!" And Her maladies are not simply physical. Her feelings ail her too.

She is depressed or anxious, detached and indifferent or vulnerable and hypersensitive. She can swing from elated agitation to mournful gloom at the blink of an eye. Watching the erratic changes in her moods is like tracking the needle on a Richter-scale chart at the site of an active volcano, and you never know which flick of the needle will predict the big explosion.

But after every emotional Vesuvius she pleads for your mercy. And if she has imbedded her guilt-hooks deep enough into your conscientious nature, you will stay around and continue tracking this volcanic earthquake, caught in the illusion that you can discover how to stop Vesuvius before she blows again. But, in reality, staying around this cauldron of emotional unpredictability is pointless. Every effort to understand or help this type of woman is an excruciatingly pointless exercise in emotional rescue.

It is like you are a Coast Guard cutter and she is a drowning woman. But she drowns in a peculiar way. Every time you pull her out of the turbulent sea, feed her warm tea and biscuits, wrap her in a comfy blanket and tell her everything is okay, she suddenly jumps overboard and starts pleading for help again. And, no matter how many times you rush to the emotional - rescue, she still keeps jumping back into trouble. It is this repeating, endlessly frustrating pattern which should confirm to you that you are involved with a Borderline Personality Disorder. No matter how effective you are at helping her, nothing is ever enough. No physical, financial or emotional assistance ever seems to make any lasting difference. It's like pouring the best of your self into a galactic-sized Psychological Black Hole of bottomless emotional hunger. And if you keep pouring it in long enough, one-day you'll fall right down that hole yourself. There will be nothing left of you but your own shadow, just as it falls through her predatory "event horizon." But before that happens, other signs will reveal her true colors.

Sex will be incredible. She will be instinctually tuned in to reading your needs. It will seem wonderful - for a while.

I would suggest trying to convince that person to seek professional help, preferably in the form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT - This one might be better; it's a form of CBT specifically designed for Borderline). No matter how hard any non-professional tries, they're probably not going to make anything better; they'll probably make things worse and the relationship will almost certainly crash. The prognosis for people with Borderline is much better than it used to be; it's basically curable, since it's more of a coping mechanism than a biological disorder.

Last edited:
I would recommend moving on. Find someone else who is not going to put you through all this.

^ Yes. Of all the people to choose, you must ask yourself why you would choose this person. What is it about you that makes you find this person compelling - and, perhaps, find a healthy person unexciting?

I'm not saying this with any judgment, because I have plenty of demons of my own, but you are the one with the problem here. She treats you badly and you are still wanting her. You should have moved on at the first sign of this. Try to find out what is at work inside you. Gaining that insight may take a while, but it's worth it to start now. Life may seem unlimited, but it is actually shorter than you may imagine, and it is not worth wasting your time with bad relationships.

The only problem with "just moving on" is that Borderline is a very severe disorder, and 8-10% of sufferers commit suicide. It seems like they're just assholes, but it's hard to understand the amount of pain that they go through. "Just moving on" might help you, but in the long run it isn't going to help that person. And on top of that, they're just going to end up hurting more people. Since she's just going to act the same with everyone, she's never going to get any satisfaction with life.
If you really care about her, I think trying to get her to seek help is the best thing you could do for her.

^ wtf?

you have a duty of care to yourself.

move on. she has. its not your job to fix the world. people are responsible for their own needs first and foremost.

family and friends are important, girlfriends who ditch you for someone else aren't your problem anymore.

EXACTLY. let the new guy deal with it..

^ wtf?

you have a duty of care to yourself.

move on. she has. its not your job to fix the world. people are responsible for their own needs first and foremost.

family and friends are important, girlfriends who ditch you for someone else aren't your problem anymore.

After reading Penguin's description, I'm fairly convinced my current/ex girlfriend is bipolar to a noticeable degree. It's like no matter how much you give them they never seem to find that it's enough to make them feel secure.
I don't really want to comment more on this since I left the house last night.

my post was about borderline personality disorder, not bipolar. However, those who have bipolar often have one of the personality disorders (histrionic, psychopathic, BPD, narcissistic).

I remember the quote from the DSM IV manual on mental disorders for borderline personality disorder -- "Don't leave me. I hate you."

lol!!!

I have a sister who's borderline, and honestly, I could never date someone who's borderline. It's too much, just too much...

I would suggest trying to convince that person to seek professional help, preferably in the form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) or Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT - This one might be better; it's a form of CBT specifically designed for Borderline). No matter how hard any non-professional tries, they're probably not going to make anything better; they'll probably make things worse and the relationship will almost certainly crash. The prognosis for people with Borderline is much better than it used to be; it's basically curable, since it's more of a coping mechanism than a biological disorder.

this.

i was diagnosed as having bpd and dbt changed my life for the better. i still have some of the same issues, but they're much more manageable to me now.

I agree that moving on from the relationship is important, but I completely disagree that people need to look out for #1 first. The most rewarding thing in life is loving others, particularly loving others that are hard to love. In my opinion, it's this kind of thinking that leads to narrow-mindedness, greed, and in the grand scheme of things suffering in general. I understand that each person has a responsibility to make sure that they are mentally and physically healthy enough to do what is required in life, but the best way to help yourself is often to help others. If one person is unselfish and knowledgable enough to help this girl get to where she needs to go, it could prevent years of suffering for multiple people, that person included.

Now I understand that the relationship is not going to work. Pursuing a relationship with her, romantic or not, could end up hurting both of you. In this respect I agree with pofacedhoe. But if you still care about her, I would really suggest trying to get her help. She probably won't listen to you; maybe try to talk to her new boyfriend. If she doesn't get help, then in that case you really can't do much else, and you mustn't blame yourself or her. It's the disability, and she can't control how she acts. Also note that if the girl does get help, it would make her and you feel much better, even though the relationship is gone. Like I said, helping others is helping yourself. This could also prevent him from having to suffer the same fate.

Again, whether or not she gets help, you can feel confident that you did what you could, and that you can't do anything else.

EDIT:

Sorry, switch boyfriend/girlfriend in this post. If this is a heterosexual relationship, I take it that you are a girl. Also, nobody is going to give you perfect advise; if you're confused about what to do and still really care about her, you could try to ask a counselor yourself about what to do in your situation. That's probably the best option.

Last edited:
my (i suspect BPD, not a doctor tho) ex started calling me autistic when i stopped responding to her crazy shit. i suggested she might have BPD and would benefit from talking to someone about it and she went mental - "you're abusing me, you're so mean, why are you so mean?!?!", yet calling me autistic as an insult is fineee, one rule for them, different for everyone else, different rules on different days, just a whole load of bullshit. avoid.

Blaming someone with borderline for acting out is like blaming a person without a leg for not being able to walk. Borderline is a serious disorder which stems from extreme inner pain and the inability to deal with one's emotions. I've read an analogy that relates borderline to third degree burn patients; you wouldn't expect a burn patient to respond well to physical touch that another person could handle. And just like how a bad burn comes from exposure to extreme heat, borderline very frequently results from traumatic childhood experiences, especially sexual abuse.

I find it saddening that people are all over helping those that are "feeling bad", but as soon as they have major problems they are abandoned. The people that need help the most in this world are least likely to get it.

As a side note, though, I would definitely advise against dating someone with borderline who is not actively dealing with their problems. This will probably hurt them and you.

I've just gotten out of a 6 month relationship with a girl who was borderline.

She ended up leaving me for her abusive ex-boyfriend who raped her multiple different times and then left her.

I realize now that it's pretty much a futile effort to attempt to change yourself or act in a way to suit what you envision their needs are. We just can't pull it off.

I realize now that it's pretty much a futile effort to attempt to change yourself or act in a way to suit what you envision their needs are. We just can't pull it off.
Yeah, that is a terrible idea. Borderline is not easily fixed (though it does mellow out, often completely, around 35 years of age) and trying to fix it by changing yourself to suit their needs is not going to work. Only a trained professional can do what is needed to help people with borderline manage. That's why I suggest trying to get a borderline person who you care about to seek help. They probably won't listen, but it's the best you can do.

I agree that moving on from the relationship is important, but I completely disagree that people need to look out for #1 first. The most rewarding thing in life is loving others, particularly loving others that are hard to love. In my opinion, it's this kind of thinking that leads to narrow-mindedness, greed, and in the grand scheme of things suffering in general. I understand that each person has a responsibility to make sure that they are mentally and physically healthy enough to do what is required in life, but the best way to help yourself is often to help others. If one person is unselfish and knowledgable enough to help this girl get to where she needs to go, it could prevent years of suffering for multiple people, that person included.

Now I understand that the relationship is not going to work. Pursuing a relationship with her, romantic or not, could end up hurting both of you. In this respect I agree with pofacedhoe. But if you still care about her, I would really suggest trying to get her help. She probably won't listen to you; maybe try to talk to her new boyfriend. If she doesn't get help, then in that case you really can't do much else, and you mustn't blame yourself or her. It's the disability, and she can't control how she acts. Also note that if the girl does get help, it would make her and you feel much better, even though the relationship is gone. Like I said, helping others is helping yourself. This could also prevent him from having to suffer the same fate.

Again, whether or not she gets help, you can feel confident that you did what you could, and that you can't do anything else.

EDIT:

Sorry, switch boyfriend/girlfriend in this post. If this is a heterosexual relationship, I take it that you are a girl. Also, nobody is going to give you perfect advise; if you're confused about what to do and still really care about her, you could try to ask a counselor yourself about what to do in your situation. That's probably the best option.

i didn't say look out for number 1 as in be selfish and greedy. what i said was that YOU are responsible for YOUR needs, and unless its your children or your parents or close friends its not your RESPONSIBILITY to be trying to change someone's behaviour. we all have to learn for ourselves.

its clear this girl doesn't care about the OP so why should he go out of his way to help her? i dont see the logic. he needs to avoid her and it will improve his life.

also having a personality disorder is not the same as having third degree burns. i call bullshit on that dramatic crap. essentially what needs to happen in borderline personality's is that they need to grow up, and i have friends with BPD who cheat, take drugs, get in fights, and i love 'em but i'm not a wailing wall of sympathy for self inflicted crap. be honest with yourself about the effect your behaviour has on your life and take responsibility for it. nuff said

Last edited:
I think most people with BPD wish they could..."be honest with themselves and about there behaviour and take responsibility for it." That's a choice they don't have and I think it takes a big person to stick with someone (if they are seeking help) Its hard to see what a person with this disorder should be held accountable for. I think people who really love them are the only ones who can choose and that must be the hardest decision to make. My heart goes out to all of you who live like we do.