View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Louisiana becomes the 25th medical marijuana state

poledriver

Bluelighter
LOUISIANA BECOMES THE 25TH MEDICAL MARIJUANA STATE

louisiana-medical-marijuana-2.jpg

On Thursday Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards signed Senate Bill 271, a bill that makes Louisiana the first state in the south to create a comprehensive medical marijuana program.

The new law replaces language in the current medical marijuana law that said physicians had to “prescribe” medical marijuana patients, something that is impossible under federal law due to marijuana’s status as a Schedule I drug. The new law also removes glaucoma as a qualifying medical condition. Approved conditions now include:

Spastic quadriplegia
Symptoms from chemotherapy
Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
Crohn’s Disease
Multiple Sclerosis
Muscular Dystrophy
Seizure disorders
Severe spasms
Spasticity

Under the new law medical marijuana will be produced by a single cultivator and distributed to patients through up to 10 pharmacies, a model we have not yet see in the rush to reform medical marijuana laws across the country.

“Seriously ill Louisianans are grateful to Gov. Edwards and the legislature for their efforts to fix our unworkable medical marijuana law,” said David Brown, president of Sensible Marijuana Policy for Louisiana. “SB 271 brings us closer to providing relief to the suffering of our most vulnerable residents. We hope that they will continue that work by approving SB 180 to ensure that medical marijuana patients and providers are protected from criminal sanctions. Patients shouldn’t be treated like criminals for using the medicine that works best for them.”

A separate bill, Senate Bill 180, is currently being considered in the House. If passed SB 180 would provide legal protections for patients.

source:http://www.southerncannabis.org/louisiana/louisiana-becomes-25th-medical-marijuana-state/

http://drugplus.info/louisiana-becomes-the-25th-medical-marijuana-state/

I think they're actually #26... Ohio legalized through the legislature last week and was claiming #25.

=D Ah-eye-eeee-e-ee-e!

Close enough...At this point I'd risk death by gators and crocs if I could get help. I call those GYNs and GASTROS in Mississippi.

I have a "life" sentence of pain and the desperation caused by the pain. I do not live life. I endure it.

Half the states in the US allow medical use of this ancient, healing plant. The other half will punish you if you use it for medicine, despite the robust scientific evidence showing that it helps several conditions.

All of the states in the US allow recreational use of alcohol, a proven neurotoxin that plays a role in a huge proportion of the violent acts and car accidents that occur each day.

Doesn't exactly inspire trust in governmental policy. :|

Isn't this the same state that proposed mandatory jail time for ppl caught with any amt of heroin? Pretty sure I read somewhere they have more non violent drug users incarcerated than any other state...might be per capita but damn.