Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Louie

Season 2 has so much more depth than Season 1. I LOVED the Afghanistan episode. There is such balance between his comedy and something really insightful. Louis CK really is my favorite comedian.

As an aside my grandmother use to call Brazil nuts "nigger toes" too. She's pretty damn old and until recently didn't even register that the name was racist (she has a phone though ;)) so I laughed a LOT during that episode.

I like Louis C. K. a lot. I really do. But this show is just depressing. Yes, there are a couple of funny episodes, but for the most part it's a laugh-free, downer of a show.
i like it a lot, but i gotta agree; it can be a serious downer.
me and my boyfriend but on an episode the other day (the one before it was the masturbating one), and it was funny for the first half, then got REALLY downer/depressing. it was the one where he was at the comedy club and met up with someone he started out with who never made it big. then the guy told louie how he was going to kill himself and they had a 5-10 minute dialogue about suicide/louie trying to talk him out of it. then ended.

total downer, we just wanted to laugh at his sick humor. then we've got suicide thrown in our face. if i was high and the show randomly turned into that...that could've ruined my night. not feeling that...
i do love the show in general though but sometimes he gets way too dark.
Just stayed up all last night watching season 1 on Netflix.

HOLY SHIT Loius CK strikes gold. This show is life itself: depressing yes, funny at odd moments and heart-wrenchingly honest about human behavior.
thought this was the 1st season! deff gunna have to download the first now
^ Agreed. I'm all caught up on season 2, and I really think that he made a good choice going with FX.

Any major network would cancel this in a heartbeat. Even faster than Lucky Louie. It's too dark and it's too artsy for a mainstream audience.

Personally, I'm really enjoying it. I can rewatch an episode 2-3x which says a lot.
i'm really impressed with FX lately. they're easily becoming one of the best networks for comedy. better than comedy central. with this, it's always sunny, and wilfred. 5 years ago i couldn't tell you what was on FX. (i know there's others but these are the ones i alone watch. and as a 19 year old girl, i don't quite think i'm the demographic for that channel but it's deff hitting my age, 40 year old women, and my 10 year old brother. so they're doing something right)

im watching that right now. the violin player on the subway platform playing with the bum in the background had me howling. so awesome!

LOL that was so funny. so typical new york. i love the show for that too, so many NYC based shows glamorize the city. louie shows you the reality of it, in his own twisted funny way. he interprets the city the same as i do from what i've seen so far, love it.

This is a great show, but NOT because it's several-laugh-per-minute funny.

It's actually more of a dramedy - you're supposed to connect with him as a frail HONEST human being.

With each additional episode, your connection with him (and your appreciation of his honesty) will increase (my prediction).

Holy fuck I am agreeing with LL.

Just finished watching the episode with Dane Cook and yeah, this show is groundbreaking.

edit: wow, did I really just use Dane Cook and groundbreaking in the same sentence?

Last edited:
It's a weird show to watch high, and probably one of the few in existence that is better whilst sober.

I just saw him perform a stand up show.

Most awesome thing I've ever seen.

Yeah his live shows are great

Funny story
Seen him at a festival a few years ago and laughed so hard I started choking lol

It was after everyone else stopped laughing and Louie noticed I was about to die and stopped and made sure I was ok, I gave him a thumbs up while taking a drink of my water and he continued
Trufax

Just found this gem 2 days ago...i usually stick to HBO,as a rule,but sometimes i get bored and will cruise through on demand to see what else is out there(minus the commercials). I am a BIG Louie C.K. fan and I can't believe I didn't know he had another show-he had a show on HBO a few years ago-Lucky Louis,I think-but they dropped it after 1 season.
I watched 3 episodes the other night when I found it and almost lost my shit. He is seriously one of THE funniest comedians of all time...and I love the "dramedy" feel of this show. The most subtle jokes will make me laugh til I hurt. He is fucking AMAZING!!!

I missed the 1st 10 or 11 episodes so I was only able to watch 3. Is this the 1st season??? I need to get this show on DVD fo sho!

He is seriously one of THE funniest comedians of all time...and I love the "dramedy" feel of this show. The most subtle jokes will make me laugh til I hurt. He is fucking AMAZING!!!

He's just so damn relatable. Whenever I'm watching him I'm constantly thinking things like "yes, exactly!". If a great comedian is someone who is capable of articulating what everyone in the audience is thinking, then Louis is definitely one of the greats.

i finally got round to checking this out. i wouldn't describe it as particularly groundbreaking - holistically, it watches like just another situational comedy. that said, i definitely connect with the very human approach and, in every episode, there are a few moments when his attention to small, passing details really made me smile.

alasdair

Did you just "check it out", or go through at least the whole of season 1? The first few episodes start out similar to the more out-there comedies you may be used to. With every episode, it drifts further and further from the mold, and season 2 scraps it entirely (and admittedly, some of the comedic value in lieu of dramatic "messages").

Remember, he even turned Max "the heretic" Power! =D

Just FYI guys, Louie just released "Live at the Beacon Theatre" and put up the money himself to record and distribute it. He's selling it for $5 a pop through his website. Well worth it!

^ I can attest to the wellness of the worth of the it in question!

Did you just "check it out", or go through at least the whole of season 1? The first few episodes start out similar to the more out-there comedies you may be used to. With every episode, it drifts further and further from the mold, and season 2 scraps it entirely (and admittedly, some of the comedic value in lieu of dramatic "messages").
i'm most of the way through season 1. i'll revisit the thread when i'm done with season 2.

alasdair

Just purchased Live at the Beacon, first thing I've paid to download in ages, but I support Louis in all his endeavors, there's just nobody else like him out there. I was not disappointed! One of his funnier specials, and probably the best description of what it's like for me to be high ever put to words. I empathize with this guy so much. Well worth the $5, I hope he puts out more like this in the future.

and probably the best description of what it's like for me to be high ever put to words.

I thought this while watching as well.

Something that gets on my nerves a little is when shows or people try to depict the experience of being stoned, and get it just a bit off (or way wrong). I think Louie just captures it perfectly (in this special, and in that ep in season 1 where he smokes weed with his neighbour.)

Something that gets on my nerves a little is when shows or people try to depict the experience of being stoned, and get it just a bit off (or way wrong).
given that different people react to different drugs differently, surely it's possible - even likely - that somebody else's characterisation of being high may differ from yours? as such, isn't it inappropriate, and a little harsh, to say they're wrong?

i've heard only good things about the beacon show, i need to get it.

alasdair

^ I feel that many depictions of the stoned experience can be too cartoonish and based in simplistic stereotypes.

I find that Louie CK seems to have a knack for depicting "real" reactions and dialogue in his show in general, and this was no different for the stoned experience. However, even acknowledging the subjectivity involved, I still have praise for Louie's attempts to go beyond the cliched (instead, seemingly drawing from his own appraisal of his own experiences).

^ i appreciate that. i'll check in again once i've seen it and we can compare notes.

minor pedantic aside but the artist is 'louis' (ends in s) ck and the character is 'louie' (ends in e).

alasdair

Yeah I think it's an intentional play on his part. Louis can be interpreted two ways depending on your dialect, whereas Louie is always pronounced "lew-ee". In interviews he refers to his own name as "lew-iss" in web site names and such to avoid confusion.

I love this guy to bits, he's all about clarity of communication and brutal honesty.

One of my good friends brushed her boob on Louis CK last week at a comedy club... it was accidental, and she's a comedian, in New York, but I still thought it was pretty awesome.