• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Dosing Losing appetite after using THC?

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a documented phenomenon at all? I’ve found that in the last few months, after I imbibe in some weed (all ROAs) I lose my taste for food. Even if I’ve just spent 40 minutes cooking it…

My appetite is normal when I’m sober. I used to find thc would increase my appetite a lot. I’ve been smoking for 3.5ish yrs. At times that has been daily smoking, and other times months long breaks. I doesn’t feel like a tolerance thing per se. Possible early hyperemesis syndrome?

Worth noting is that I take 15 mg mirtazipine every night. That itself increased my appetite a lot when I first began taking it. But that subsided after about a month of taking it

For me, cannabis stimulates binge-eating behavior but doesn't really enhance the experience of food. I used to follow the impulse to munch but now after years of using i'm more inclined to postpone food because i've learned that it's not really worth it since i become less comfortable in my own body while high. I prefer to try and exist mostly on a mental plane. Also, i often drink beer which satiates me a bit without causing weird worries about mouthfeel and particles getting stuck in places.

In other words, the renowned weed munchies is mostly a novelty to me - unlike the high itself which i'll probably never get tired of.

@thegreenhand

I take 5? Mg Mirtazipine each night. It never affected my appetite; though at first it caused me to sleep more (mow it doesn’t)

I’ve found certain Sativa’s, although they don’t make me less hungry - they make me sorta forget about food. Supposedly flower high(er) in THCV can dull the appetite. This is with smoking or vaping. Now when I have edibles, it’s non stop eating. Go figure?

Tom

Mirtazapine and Olanzapine has been used as a combination medication in treating anorexia ive been on both and both did increase my appetite olanzapine did much more though. I'm also going to mention that THCV is shown to decrease appetite, are you sure you havent recently just picked up a strain high in that?
Also though if you are smoking you need to remember you have all the ash and tar and crap in your mouth that would put me off eating anyway but i vape it only (ok unless i have months worth of vape resin then i smoke it lol)

Interesting I didn’t know that about the THCV. That’s a very plausible culprit

I normally use a dry herb vape, typically at higher temps but not combusting it. Occasionally I’ll share a blunt or joint with some friends buts that like 1-2 times a month. Edibles around the same frequency.

Perhaps the vape relseases lots of THCV at the temps I’m using. Unfortunately, I typically don’t know the strain I have as I live in Ohio where it’s illegal. Sometimes I’m able to get stuff Michigan dispensaries but not all the time.

And yeah mouthfeel is a big part of it. The cottonmouth makes it hard to chew sometimes