• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Losing a gut or weight?

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
Does going for a walk help you lose a gut or weight?

or Do people have to go for a run?

I need to get rid of my gut cos it looks like i'm twenty seven weeks pregnant.

So despite popular belief running/cardio is not the way to lose weight, it can but needs to be mixed with HIIT AND lifting.

I’m assuming your a woman, and women often feel lifting will “bulk them up” but you need a base level of lean muscle to keep burning fat even during rest. This is why people who do just cardio gain weight back so easily.

You won’t get much anywhere just walking IMO. Unless you hike hours each day.

Maybe start with 60 min walk 5-7 days a week (you need to go for ya least 30 before you really even start to burn calories), but also add in pushups, crunches, bicep curls, and squats. If all you can do is 1 of each to start, do it, but slowly work up.

You won’t ever get bulky like a male even with weight training exercises, you want that lean muscle for a number of reasons.

If your a male, my bad.. lol. None of that applies. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, my partner has her doctorates in this shit and I’ve done a fair amount of independent research myself to get where I’m at today health wise.

-GC

Come up is great, last A LONG TIME and is quite euphoric.
So despite popular belief running/cardio is not the way to lose weight, it can but needs to be mixed with HIIT AND lifting.

I’m assuming your a woman, and women often feel lifting will “bulk them up” but you need a base level of lean muscle to keep burning fat even during rest. This is why people who do just cardio gain weight back so easily.

Maybe start with 60 min walk 5-7 days a week (you need to go for ya least 30 before you really even start to burn calories), but also add in pushups, crunches, bicep curls, and squats. If all you can do is 1 of each to start, do it, but slowly work up.

You won’t ever get bulky like a male even with weight training exercises, you want that lean muscle for a number of reasons.

If your a male, my bad.. lol. None of that applies. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, my partner has her doctorates in this shit and I’ve done a fair amount of independent research myself to get where I’m at today health wise.

-GC
I'm male, does that make any difference or does all the same stuff you said still apply?

It all still applies, maybe even moreso.. So I’m male, in my 30’s, single digit body fat get complimented often yet I never run or do much cardio. My only cardio is dancing..

Start by trying to focus on larger muscles or exercises that incorporate multiple muscle groups. If you can start to get larger muscles up and running again, that will help burn fat all the time.

Also based on your gut you may be dealing with hormone issues related to diet, you eat a heavily sugar laden diet? If yes, cut out all the sugar you can. No soda, no candy, even watch the condiments you use.

Obviously your body will be craving like mad, replace it with rich fatty foods in the mean time. Fat is demonized but so long your eating healthier fats they’re actually good for you.

Wait as long as you can until the end of the day before eating any sugar, so you don’t start binge throughout the day.

-GC

-GC
While these things will likely help with weight loss, none of them are what actually causes weight loss. Caloric deficit is what causes weight loss, as it's entirely possible to do all these things and gain weight, if one is eating at a sufficient caloric surplus. All the weight lost their metabolic process is breathed out as carbon dioxide, so as long as someone is breathing, they are burning calories. The reason people don't typically lose weight without exercising is because of a caloric surplus.

Exercise and weight training can have a lot of positive benefits to assist in weight loss, like burning more calories with higher muscle mass, increased metabolism, or more calories burnt per day, as well as a lot of benefits not related to weight loss, like improved mood. Truth is, you are burning calories in your sleep.

The whole lean muscle vs bulky muscle is largely myth. How much muscle mass you have will largely be a result of genetics, diet, and training style. In order to build muscle, one needs to eat around 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight, as well as train until muscle failure. Targeting specific muscle groups to failure and alternating days for recovery time will lead to the most muscle growth, this would be a body builder style workout. Exercises like running or biking are called cardio because they train the heart more so than any other muscle group. Both style of exercises will burn calories, as calories is just a representation of energy spent.

Does going for a walk help you lose a gut or weight?

or Do people have to go for a run?

I need to get rid of my gut cos it looks like i'm twenty seven weeks pregnant.
Any sort of exercise will work, the best is a combination of weight training and cardio, in my opinion, especially if you are trying to lose weight/fat. As stated above, caloric deficit is what causes weight loss. So if your goal is to simply lose weight, staying in a caloric deficit would suffice. However, since you state specifically that you want to lose belly fat, I'd suggest that you look into the metabolic process and what is called ketosis. To put it simply, your body normally uses glucose(sugar) for energy. This glucose can come from carbohydrates, protein converted to glucose, or converted fat. When the body doesn't have enough glucose, it enters what is called ketosis, at which point it starts converting fat into glucose.

So, that is in short, why it's important to count macronutrients as well as calories, as eating 1000 calories of carbohydrates will have a different impact than eating 1000 calories of protein and fat. The ketogenic diet is somewhat controversial, although it seems proven to be effective, it isn't entirely necessary to cut out carbs completely to lose weight or burn fat(not to mention it's entirely possible to gain weight/fat on a ketogenic/0 carb diet if eating at a caloric surplus). I think it's important to find what works for you. There is going to be a balance between calorie restriction and exercise, if the goal is to lose weight/burn fat. If you want to gain muscle mass, there is going to be more focus on calorie intake and exercise. It really depends on your individual goal and body type. It's also entirely possible to burn fat while gaining muscle. The 5-10hrs/week working out is the easy part, staying disciplined on your diet the rest of the week is a lot harder, imo.

Any sort of exercise will work, the best is a combination of weight training and cardio, in my opinion, especially if you are trying to lose weight/fat. As stated above, caloric deficit is what causes weight loss. So if your goal is to simply lose weight, staying in a caloric deficit would suffice. However, since you state specifically that you want to lose belly fat, I'd suggest that you look into the metabolic process and what is called ketosis. To put it simply, your body normally uses glucose(sugar) for energy. This glucose can come from carbohydrates, protein converted to glucose, or converted fat. When the body doesn't have enough glucose, it enters what is called ketosis, at which point it starts converting fat into glucose.

So, that is in short, why it's important to count macronutrients as well as calories, as eating 1000 calories of carbohydrates will have a different impact than eating 1000 calories of protein and fat. The ketogenic diet is somewhat controversial, although it seems proven to be effective, it isn't entirely necessary to cut out carbs completely to lose weight or burn fat(not to mention it's entirely possible to gain weight/fat on a ketogenic/0 carb diet if eating at a caloric surplus). I think it's important to find what works for you. There is going to be a balance between calorie restriction and exercise, if the goal is to lose weight/burn fat. If you want to gain muscle mass, there is going to be more focus on calorie intake and exercise. It really depends on your individual goal and body type. It's also entirely possible to burn fat while gaining muscle. The 5-10hrs/week working out is the easy part, staying disciplined on your diet the rest of the week is a lot harder, imo.
Can't I just go for a run and cut out the carbs/sugar?

Can't I just go for a run and cut out the carbs/sugar?
you could, but excess protein can be converted to glucose and then to fat when glucose stores are full, which is why caloric deficit is needed not just low carb/no carb diet, not accounting for fat intake either. As explained above, you could just eat less, or you can exercise more, or both. Depends on what your willing to do to reach your goal, many types of diets and exercise. Counting macros is best, as it accounts for all types of calories.

Running 1 mile burns roughly 120 calories, and you need to be at roughly 500 caloric deficit daily to lose 1lb per week. The average male needs to eat around .37g of protein per lb of body weight, so roguhly 60g/day. So for the average male, that is 2000 calories/day with atleast 240 calories coming from protein(~60g protein x 4cal per g = 240 cal), which still leaves a fair amount of room for carbs in moderation.

If the goal is simply just to lose fat, not body weight, then cutting carbs almost entirely can cause your body to go into ketosis, in which is switches from glucose to fat as primary energy source. Keep in mind you will be burning fat when in caloric deficit as well.

Yeah walking isn't gonna burn very many calories, you'd be better off doing something more strenuous. I burn about 585 calories riding my bike for only 42 minutes or so but I haul ass. lol

In order to build muscle, one needs to eat around 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight, as well as train until muscle failure.

What the hell. hahaha....some clarification, please: I've always read that it is 1g proteint/kg body weight desired. These would obviously be vastly different amounts.

For example, I weigh ~73kg/160ishlbs Now, if I want to build muscle do I eat, say 75-80g or protein a day whilst training or 160g of protein?

Also, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about this I'd like to ask you about excess protein intake:

As you can probably guess from the numbers above, I'm in decent shape weight-wise (I'm 5'11" tall), however I think I consume way too much protein.
My diet consists largely of fat (mostly from olive oil, eggs, nuts, seeds, and fish) as is and given what it consists of a large amount of protein as well.
I'm pretty sure I eat excess protein. For example, my dinner last night consisted of a 500g salmon fillet and a salad, no carbs. Until I read your post above I had no idea about excess proteing converting to glucose and then being stored as fat.
Is there anything inherently unhealthy about this?
Does it, for example, store fat around the organs or cause plaque build up in the arteries as opposed to being visible fatty tissue?
My body fat percentage is a decent ~13-15%, I think....it's been a few years since I've measured it, but I look pretty well the same.

It may complicate matters that my diet never changes but my level of physical activity does.
I rock climb regularly and have a physical job, but only do weight training 4 months a year (in winter when my outdoor job is slower).
I recently quit smoking and hope to add a cardio routine (stationary bike) to my exercise regime this winter and to start playing football (soccer for you American out here) again next summer. I miss it terribly....I don't think I've ever been as high as I have been on the football pitch (including the time I ate 7g of mushrooms).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers. :)

Last edited:
Does cymbalta cause weight loss? I hate that I've lost weight, makes people think im out of control with my using.

What the hell. hahaha....some clarification, please: I've always read that it is 1g proteint/kg body weight desired. These would obviously be vastly different amounts.

For example, I weigh ~73kg/160ishlbs Now, if I want to build muscle do I eat, say 75-80g or protein a day whilst training or 160g of protein?

Also, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about this I'd like to ask you about excess protein intake:

As you can probably guess from the numbers above, I'm in decent shape weight-wise (I'm 5'11" tall), however I think I consume way too much protein.
My diet consists largely of fat (mostly from olive oil, eggs, nuts, seeds, and fish) as is and given what it consists of a large amount of protein as well.
I'm pretty sure I eat excess protein. For example, my dinner last night consisted of a 500g salmon fillet and a salad, no carbs. Until I read your post above I had no idea about excess proteing converting to glucose and then being stored as fat.
Is there anything inherently unhealthy about this?
Does it, for example, store fat around the organs or cause plaque build up in the arteries as opposed to being visible fatty tissue?
My body fat percentage is a decent ~13-15%, I think....it's been a few years since I've measured it, but I look pretty well the same.

It may complicate matters that my diet never changes but my level of physical activity does.
I rock climb regularly and have a physical job, but only do weight training 4 months a year (in winter when my outdoor job is slower).
I recently quit smoking and hope to add a cardio routine (stationary bike) to my exercise regime this winter and to start playing football (soccer for you American out here) again next summer. I miss it terribly....I don't think I've ever been as high as I have been on the football pitch (including the time I ate 7g of mushrooms).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers. :)

Pretty sure it's 1.6g protein per 1KG(edit) of body weight, which comes out to roughly 1g/1lb. I don't have a specific source for this other than my friend who is a dietician and trainer, although I've read from a few places that it's roughly 1g/kg to sustain life.

As far as I know, a high protein, high fat, low carb diet isn't necessarily unhealthy- assuming you are eating within a healthy caloric range and eating healthy fats, many people lose body fat and even put on muscle. Some argue the ketogenic diet is bad for the heart, a lot of it is still up for debate imo. It's definitely possible to have an unhealthy 0 carb diet, and if eating in a caloric surplus, you will gain weight. I'm not certain, but I would assume excess protein still gets converted to glucose while in ketosis, but I could be wrong because the whole metabolic process changes. There's people who eat only meat and appear to be healthy, so I'm not sure I'd say eating too much protein is unhealthy, just that it can potentially lead to fat gain. Only mention that because I've heard people say protein can't be converted into fat.

Pretty sure fat cells start to grow around organs and the skin at the same time. So just eating in caloric surplus will cause both, not sure one type of diet causes more fat growth than another- although hormones definitely can play a role, and eating excessive carbs can affect the hormone insulin, which in turn can fat growth. As far as cholesterol, not really sure. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on it, as with a lot of nutrition science currently.

Check out these videos, this guy is a lot more knowledgable and has quite a few videos on the subject at hand.

Last edited: