• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lorazepam Solubility/ IV prep info

jljar5

Greenlighter
So, after reading through a bunch of threads on other forums with a bunch of off-topic none-sense I'd like to create an actually informative thread.

So please stick to pertinent information, I don't need to hear:"just sublingual it", "just snort it", "that's impossible" or "you're an idot". If you don't have anything constructive to say please keep it to yourself or troll some other forums.

Benzos vary in their solubility in different substances, but I know and lorazepam in particular is available for injection using propylene glycol and propylene glycol 400. I have found one article on solubility, although I'm afraid I don't completely understand the complete amounts enough to translate it into any working knowledge... Anyway here's the article http://kar.kent.ac.uk/25031/ (303.2 K = 41 deg F)

Another issue is alcohol is damage to veins. I do know it is directly proportional to the concentration and total amount of alcohol used.

If anyone has any knowledge regarding the proper amount and type of alcohol that can be used, and the proper alcohol to water ratio I would appreciate it. From the above article I'd guess ethanol would suffice. Anyway SWIM will try their best understanding of it in a little while when their lorazepam arrives... I will be sure to ask SWIM what they find out.

Here is one of the problems I see with this. It would be so hard to tell if, say, 25% of it ends up in the final solution compared to almost 100%. So if you end up IVing it and feel some effects, it will be hard to gauge how much of it has actually dissolved using that solvent. That's something to keep in mind when you give the feedback.

No SWIM'ing on BL mate. It isn't a pool.

I have been injected diazepam, midazolam and lorazepam and I can honestly say the extra 10% bioavailability it gives you is not amazing, and you certainly don't get any rush so to speak. The only one I consider truly worthwhile for IV is midazolam.

Also be careful with IV'ing alcohol solutions... I would never do it myself, propylene glycol all the way.

I gotta agree with Tripman here, IVing lorazepam is not going to be much more effective than simply swallowing it orally...there isn't a huge bioavailability jump since the oral BA is already 90% or so. Makes it kind of pointless.

Not to mention the inherent dangers of injecting alcohol.

In my opinion, I'd steer clear of attempting to IV them altogether...I simply cannot see a way this will end well.

Sorry I don't have time at the moment to properly answer this question & give you more information.
But for starters let me point you at the following thread as a starting point for some information regarding your question.

Benzodiazepines Solubilities in Water

I believe there's also a thread regarding solubility in PEG & the like but not positive & don't have time to search atm.
Perhaps a search will turn up some more information. Regardless hope the above link helps answer your question a bit.

First of all, if your smart, SWIM EVERYWHERE.

Second sorry for the delayed report.

SWIM tried this twice, and the problem SWIM believe that ran into was similar to what TommyBoy was talking about, one shot SWIM seemed to feel the ethanol more, the other SWIM is pretty sure they got a rush from it.

As for tripman I don't think anyone is considering IV'ing benzos for 10% increase in bio-availability. It's the same reason I used to shoot heroin instead of swallow. Not the bio-a but the RUSH. Which like I said before did get a bit of one but IMO the variables are too hard to control in most domestic settings to make it a consistently viable ROA. Anyway it was a fun experiment for SWIM :)

Usin SWIM is not only not allowed it makes you look...hmm what's the word...cowardly. Everyone knows it's you, so own your abuse/use. Also, usin SWIM won't protect you legally.
As for not wantin to hear "take it sublingual", hate to tell ya but that's almost always the best way of takin benzos.

Apparently someone has trouble reading the first post...
Well you can go around posting personal shit, but I prefer "swimming" thank you very much. If that's not allowed I'll start talking about my dog, cuz he's a huge drug addict. I didn't comment on your stupidity for not using it so I find it funny you saying somnething about someone being Safe rather than Sorry on a knowledge/prevention/discussion drug forum. Post your address with your name too, it helps you look less cowardly. lol Back to topic:

actually no, please chech your info before you post it, and stick to topic, Lorazepam is bad for oral absorption due to poor lipid solubility.

Anyone know solublility of loraz in anything BUT water or choloroform? I can find those....
Like perhaps Ethanol or maybe lower ph of some liquid will increase solubility? I think I read that about ativan but I'm not sure...

Hi jljar5 :) While people could/should have explained it in a much nicer way (and perhaps they would have today, considering this thread is over a year old - I was surprised you were still reading it), it's true that we don't allow the use of terms like "SWIM" or "my dog" here on Bluelight. For the Bluelight User Agreement:

The use of ineffective self-incrimination avoidance terms is forbidden. Terms include but are not limited to: SWIM; my dog; my cat; a mouse; my pet hamster.

These terms don't protect you, everyone knows you are talking about yourself, and using such terms only looks silly and make it more difficult to understand posts. I know they are allowed or even encouraged/required on some sites, but not here.

If I understand this source correctly, lorazepam solubility:

in water: 0.0485 mg/ml
in water with 60% ethanol: ~17mg/ml
in water with 60% propylene glycol: ~3mg/ml
in water with 60% polyethylene glycol 200: ~8mg/ml
in water with 40% ethanol: ~2mg/ml

It also says:
To prepare the liquid form (aqueous solution) of lorazepam containing 2 mg of lorazepam/ml, it is necessary to have more than 50 % (w/w) of propylene glycol, or more than 40% (w/w) of polyethylene glycol 400, polyethylene glycol 200 or ethanol.

Source: The Improvement of Lorazepam Solubility by Cosolvency, Micellization and Complexation

Im about to use vodka as the alcohol to help with thr solubility..and i also have vg(vegetae glycerine)which jm hoping is close enuff to propylene glycol.

If anyone sees this as stupid or dangerous,plz lmk b4 i do it.

Just curious. I have been injected with lorazepam in the emergency room for agitation from benzodiazepine withdrawal. And I swore it had to be soluble in water but it isn't to my dismay. I learned that midazolam is the only water soluble benzo. So my question is: how exactly do the hospitals have ampule upon ampule of this benzodiazepine. I know they are produced in high tech labs and formulated by chemists. There has to be a method to safely prepare lorazepam for intervenious use. We just need the chemistry procedure they use to make the amps for IV use in an emergency setting. And also I have a question. Since the ratios of solubility for lorazepam are best yielded using ethyl alcohol like "ETHYL ALCOHOL DENATURED 200 PROOF" and water at a 50/50 ratio of distilled sterile water and use according to the solubility ratio quoted from above: "n water with 60% ethanol: ~17mg/ml" that allows for minimal alcohol use for highest mg yield per ml of liquid. It says 60% but in my opinion 100% ethyl alcohol would allow you to use roughly 40% less alcohol per ml. Alcohol and water evaporate at room temperature. I don't know the boiling point that would destroy the dissolved lorazepam. But medium heat such as 120° to 150° should be adequate to evaporate the water and alcohol solution leaving behind pure dissolved lorazepam that would be a white crystalline powder. My question is: could you take that powdered lorazepam since it's already been dissolved in a solution and add it to 1 ml of sterile water. Since it's already been solulated into a pure form that would be soluble in sterile water especially if you vigorously shake the prepared solution. Or would it just be straight pure lorazepam and still insoluble in an aqueous solution. Just a thought.

No SWIM'ing on BL mate. It isn't a pool.

I have been injected diazepam, midazolam and lorazepam and I can honestly say the extra 10% bioavailability it gives you is not amazing, and you certainly don't get any rush so to speak. The only one I consider truly worthwhile for IV is midazolam.

Also be careful with IV'ing alcohol solutions... I would never do it myself, propylene glycol all the way.
I second this sentiment-I've IV'd lorazepam, clonazepam, alprazolam, and diazepam before and for the hassle it was never worth the effect which was near identical to oral if even that with the exception being combined with certain drugs but the other drug is always what came through strongest. In a hospital setting I've had midazolam IV also and again it was combined with a strong opioid. On its own I seriously doubt you will be impressed at all.

^ dunno man, mid panic attack i was given IV mida on its own and it was one of the most beautifully serene moments of my life.

horses and courses i guess.