• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lorazepam seems more than 10x stronger than diazepam

TheAzo

Bluelighter
Every source I can find states that Lorazepam is ~10x stronger than diazepam.

So, I normally take 20mg diazepam (most weekends, once per week, though i didn't take any last weekend), and I had just gotten some Lorazepam, because I remembered it being particularly enjoyable with weed.

I broke a 2mg (Wyeth-Pakistan, in blister pack) pill in half and took the larger piece (probably 1.1-1.25mg) - it seemed like the effects were much stronger than 20mg diazepam.

The effects were, i'd say, a good 2x stronger than i would have expected based on the benzo equivilencies. Does anyone else find that Lorazepam is stronger, at least with regards to producing euphoria and synergizing with weed than other benzos at "equivilent" doses?

Should I be suspecting my pills (that my diazepam is weak or my lorazepam is strong)?

Thanks

I dont have any experience with lorazopam, but do with every other benzo, and from what your saying. It just sounds like lorazopam works better for you then valium. Plus it is a stronger benzo..

So you should just suspect that it's a better benzo for you, and weed always does make benzo's feel stronger. For me 40mg's of valium is as high as I would go for a buzz, any higher would be a waste, yet if I was taking xanax I could take endless amounts. So everyones different.

dude its tha opposite for me. 2 mg of lorazepam seems to do nothing, yet a ten mg diazepam has me relaxed and feelin good. tha only time lorazepam has gotten me messed up is with alcohol, if u take 2 mg or more and drink youll be messed up and wont remember shit in tha morning. when my step grandpa passed away he left me and my cousin a bottle of liquid lorazepam and we took drops all day long and drank and i didnt remember what happend for like a whole week,

two of my favorite benzos.

it varies from person to person. preference and response between different benzos is so subjective.

sometimes i feel like 10mg of valium is stronger than 1mg of ativan, sometimes i fell they are even, sometime i feel like the ativan is stronger. it just depends on which i have been taking more of around that time.

everyone reacts differently to different benzos... i can easily handle 200mg of valium or 30mg of clonazepam, but 20 mg of xanax will get me a nice "buzz"...

however i have never tried lorazepam having heard so many bad things about it

The difference is lorazepam has a quick onset and short half-life. Diazepam is the opposite.

potency by weight of the two is 10mg. diazepam = 1mg. lorazepam.

so 10mg. of lorazepam would generally be 10x stronger than 10mg. diazepam. however i find diazepam even at lower weight equal doses to be more intoxicating than lorazepam.

remember that benzo potency by weight charts aren't completely spot on. for example it says 1mg. lorazepam = 1mg. flunitrazepam(Rohypnol or "roofies, which are famously strong), and 3mg. flunitrazepam fucks me up while 3mg. lorazepam makes me a little sleepy.

Last edited:
i can easily handle 200mg of valium or 30mg of clonazepam, but 20 mg of xanax will get me a nice "buzz"...

whoa thats a lot of benzos. do you have really high tolerance or something? im pretty sure id be passing out at like 20mg of valium.

I find Lorazepam weaker than Diazepam. I don't find Diazepam to be very strong but, to me, Lorazepam is the most subtle of all benzodiazepines except for some of the more exotics (less prescribed). In my opinion I'd say that 2mg Lorazepam = 10mg Diazpam. Just from my experience with the two.

Thanks for responses. I'm surprised by how much variation there is between people with their responses to different benzos - you see those charts, and you just think "Oh, okay, they're all the same, just gotta adjust dose" - and i knew that was an oversimplification, but not how much of one it is.

That lorazepam + weed was just amazing. I was dancing with joy after smoking a bowl of good weed, on what i believe to be ~1.25mg lorazepam.

20mg of Valium is really fun and all, but not quite that much fun.

potency by weight of the two is 10mg. diazepam = 1mg. lorazepam.

so 10mg. of lorazepam would generally be 10x stronger than 10mg. diazepam. however i find diazepam even at lower weight equal doses to be more intoxicating than diazepam.

Which of those is a typo?

I'd personally choose Valium (Diazepam) over Ativan (Lorazepam) any day. Ativan doesn't really do much of a damn thing to me... I mean, Valium doesn't have too much of an effect either on me these days, but no question it's better than Ativan in my opinion.
& naturally I'd choose Xanax over any other Benzos any day. (Well, I guess I technically do choose Xanax over all other Benzos any/every day, since I'm prescribed Xanax... But that's besides the point).

Another thread I want to join, sorry for bringing up a 5 year old thread, but it's better than making a whole new one, according to BL rules.

So, I have both 2mg Lorazepam pills, and 10mg Diazepam pills.

I'm currently tapering off Benzo's using Clonazepam. I'm about 25% done. going down .5mg every week. I'm currently at 6mg, and tomorrow I'll be at 5.5mg. I started at 7.5mg.

Anyways, between the 2. I seem to enjoy Ativan better than Valium. 2mg of Ativan feels like 15-20mg of Valium to me.

The only advantage Valium has over Ativan is it's muscle relaxant properties, and its very long half life. Other than that, Ativan gives me more Sedation, makes me more happy (takes away depression), helps me sleep better, etc.

IMO, Ativan is just under than stronger Benzo's, Xanax and Klonopin. Those are way more potent than both Ativan and Valium.

But Ativan is a VERY relaxing Benzo, and I'd take a 2mg Ativan over a 10mg Valium any day.

The difference is lorazepam has a quick onset and short half-life. Diazepam is the opposite.

Other way around, for most people at least. A dose of diazepam is rapidly absorbed, but also distributed to fat within the body; it has a biphasic half-life, with major clinical effects (at therapeutic doses) from 4-8 hours, with residual, mild effects from the diazepam and its active metabolites. It peaks at 30-60 minutes. Lorazepam peaks at 90-120 minutes, but despite its 10-20h half-life, has a longer period of major clinical action than diazepam. Diazepam does have a long half-life compared to lorazepam, and active metabolites compared to no active ones, which has implications for withdrawals and tapering, but the actual duration of an equivalent dose of lorazepam is longer.

For me, diazepam "feels" stronger subjectively when I take a dose sober, but I do find that it should be around 15mg as opposed to 10mg compared to most others on the equivalency charts. When I have actual anxiety, or need muscle relaxant or anticonvulsant action, lorazepam is less sedative with far stronger and more clear-headed, powerfully anxiolytic action. Diazepam is more inebriating (and recreational) but lorazepam more potent medically, except as a hypnotic.

Ativan at 1.5mgs causes amnesia for me & is as strong as 10mgs of valium......Valium IMO is definitely better than Ativan.

Well at least I'm not alone, Lorazepam is the weakest Benzo, IME! That just me, I've taken 10mg of ativan and felt calm and my eyes would not focus for the life of me!! But 20mg of Diazepam I'm stumbling around, I can barely stay awake if I lay/sit down. So... idk

I like valium better..
Bromazepam is becoming my fav benzo though..

My best friend used to experience what he described as "psychedelic-style" visuals from taking lorazepam. He was pretty well experienced with benzodiazepines like clonazepan and alprazolam, but the lorazepam really took him for a ride. He was laughing, joking, yelling out the car window just acting a fool. It was hilarious.

No it isn't. Lorazepam is the weakest of all. It's made for little old ladies. Diazepam(valium) is way stronger. Alprazolam is even stronger. Ativan is by far the worst Benzo unless you have 0 tolerance and can't handle stronger benzos