• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lorazepam makes me mildly nauseated, any ideas?

JarBag

Bluelighter
I've been taking Lorazepam on and off for a couple years. I notice now when I take it I get slightly nauseated. Never enough to really bother me, but tonight it's particularly bothersome. I have google'd the shit outta this one, but can only find results pointing towards its use as an anti-nausea medication. The more I take the worse it gets (along the day\night, or just as time is going on.) I also have mild gag reflex to it, like after taking it, not before taking.. I could pop like who knows how many in one go since they're so small and not gag to that. They dissolve so fast if you make a mistake ingesting them anyway.

What gives? Any ideas?

1. very low dose benzo = not very effective for anxiety, sleep, no nausea.
2. low dose = mild anxiety, increased nausea.
3. medium\moderate dose = lack of anxiety, not therapeutic for sleep because of nausea.
4. higher doses = great for sleep, no anxiety, pretty bad nausea.
5. very high doses = Pure contentment. I can sleep fine. No anxiety. Don't notice the nausea by this point.

I think the reason I become less nauseated at very high doses is because I have reason to believe I notice the taste of Lorazepam less. That's something I forgot to mention and I think it may partially be the culprit. I usually get an after taste in my mouth like one would get from lunesta.

Thanks, Jar

Peace

P.S. you may notice some odd neurochemistry with me from other threads I've made: i.e. HPPD gone with MDMA.

Last edited:
Interesting, I don't recall having experienced or heard of nausea from lorazepam before.

By taste do you mean a lingering weird taste that doesn't go away even with brushing your teeth?

Are you male or female?

Do you know the manufacturer of the lorazepam so I can check the inactive ingredients?

Did the nausea only start recently?

Any recent changes in your health or meds?

i would recommend first try changing brand (i'm sure merck, biogran etc. all make a generic version) lorazepam can be taken sublingually tastes of mint (i think ativan does at least) and dissolves fast if that doesn't change anything you could switch benzo.

Have any of your habits changed since you started getting the nausea otherwise?

Last edited:
All benzodiazepines are effective anti-emetics used in cancer patients, the side effect your experiencing is highly rare but does exist. I would assume the benzodiazepine would cause you some dizziness, in turn causing nausea. If your experiencing dizziness or nausea there's a whole bunch of OTC anti-emetics you can get at the pharmacy.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Interesting, I don't recall having experienced or heard of nausea from lorazepam before.

By taste do you mean a lingering weird taste that doesn't go away even with brushing your teeth?

Are you male or female?

Do you know the manufacturer of the lorazepam so I can check the inactive ingredients?

Did the nausea only start recently?

Any recent changes in your health or meds?

1. Nor had I
2. That's exactly what I mean, but way less noticeable than say, lunseta.
3. Male
4. Is Ranbaxy the name you're looking for? Otherwise I am not too sure.
5. More so, I noticed it a couple months ago, but it's gradually getting worse.
6. Can't say there really has been any changes I can think of.

i would recommend first try changing brand (i'm sure merck, biogran etc. all make a generic version) lorazepam can be taken sublingually tastes of mint (i think ativan does at least) and dissolves fast if that doesn't change anything you could switch benzo.

Have any of your habits changed since you started getting the nausea otherwise?

I am on ativan I am pretty sure, yeah, I have noticed it dissolves VERY fast.
Do you know if that would have any impact on the insurance? As Ativan currently doesn't cost much at all.
Nope.

All benzodiazepines are effective anti-emetics used in cancer patients, the side effect your experiencing is highly rare but does exist. I would assume the benzodiazepine would cause you some dizziness, in turn causing nausea. If your experiencing dizziness or nausea there's a whole bunch of OTC anti-emetics you can get at the pharmacy.

That makes sense, I think that explains why I couldn't find anything at all on google or medical websites.
The thing is, I don't really notice dizziness, but more clearheadness, but maybe it's there and I don't notice it.
I may have to consider an anti-emetic, then. The idea of more medicine sounds kind of dull though.

Also it's the next day and I still have naseau, it usually lasts well into the next day.
Mild appetite suppressant as well, which is not what I need at all I think it suppresses my appetite due to the nausea.

Peace

Hmmm usually ativan is prescribed to cancer patients to help control nausea. Benzos are one of the best anti emetics I have used, so idk what to tell yah

Well, thanks for all the help thus far, everybody.

I would like to note that 2mg (prescribed lorazepam) I took a bit ago had me almost leaning over the toilet. Fine before taking, fading off now. This is rather typical.

Is this perhaps a response of my body saying 'too much lorazepam?' I'm not sure if that sounds far fetched. I definitely need it less now in general, but I for sure take breaks to not get dependent.

Someone close in my family is dependent and she came waking me up one morning crying since her doctor was no longer in practice and her klonopin had run out. She had been on it 20 years, so I was kinda freaking the fuck out (in my mind), didn't want her to have seizures and she was already going through withdrawals just missing one dose. It all worked out in the end. Sorry for that side story.

Just almost threw up. Maybe I should contact my doctor or pharmacist or something really. It just makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just almost threw up. Maybe I should contact my doctor or pharmacist or something really. It just makes no sense.
Yes you definitely should talk to your doctor.

There are a number of possibilities. You could be having a paradoxical reaction that was exacerbated by taking lorazepam for a long time - it is actually not uncommon for a drug sensitivity (not really a true allergy) to show up after you have used the drug a lot. You could be sensitive to one of the inactive ingredients in the pills. Or you might have a health condition that is making you more sensitive to lorazepam (this does happen, I don't mean specifically with lorazepam, but some illnesses/etc can make you have a strange taste in your mouth, have weird reactions to meds etc). Hopefully your doctor can consider all the possibilities and possible solutions, I think aside from trying to figure out if there is something else going on with your health the first thing to do would probably be to try a different brand, and if that doesn't help maybe a different benzo.

I assume you are taking generic lorazepam, not brand name Ativan? There should be other generics you could try.

*Do you have any problems with dairy? Ranbaxy lorazepam contains lactose and nausea/vomiting are symptoms of lactose intolerance.

and if that doesn't help maybe a different benzo.

I assume you are taking generic lorazepam, not brand name Ativan? There should be other generics you could try.

*Do you have any problems with dairy? Ranbaxy lorazepam contains lactose and nausea/vomiting are symptoms of lactose intolerance.

The thought of taking another benzo saddens me, I have generally not enjoyed other benzos, (recreationally or therapeutically.) Etizolam worked wonders, but don't even bother wishing me luck on that : P

Yeah, generic. Although every time I go to the Doctor's she says Ativan.

Very interesting you brought up the dairy. I wouldn't say I'm lactose intolerant, maybe mildly. But I definitely will usually only keep it down to one cup of milk and a bowl of cereal spread throughout the day, too much milk makes me feel like shit. Never noticed it with cheese though. Although, wouldn't I have noticed these symptoms of the lorazepam longer ago? I have been that way with milk for quite some time.

^ As I told you the side effect is rare but can still occur. It's listed as one of possible side effects of lorazepam on the datasheet.

Find a new benzodiazepine, and if it can't be avoided all together find an anti-emetic. They're free of harsh side effects and some are OTC. My recommendation would be domperidone (Motillium) which I believe to be the gold standard.

^ As I told you the side effect is rare but can still occur. It's listed as one of possible side effects of lorazepam on the datasheet.

Find a new benzodiazepine, and if it can't be avoided all together find an anti-emetic. They're free of harsh side effects and some are OTC. My recommendation would be domperidone (Motillium) which I believe to be the gold standard.

Yeah. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think they generally list every 'possible side effect' to save their asses. I wouldn't be surprised if necrotizing fasciitis was somewhere on their list. Since when the lists are made it can be anyone who experiences those and any side effects at that time, and it may have had nothing to do with the drug.

Lorazepam has by far been my favorite benzo. I have tried quite a few, nothing came close (minus etizolam, but that's not a possibility, and I guess it's not technically a benzo anyway). So I may try the anti-emetic route for a bit, or try switching Lorazepam brands like swimming mentioned. No other benzo has given me nausea, nor helped me like lorazepam, so it's not really quite that simple really.

I wouldn't say anti-emetics are "free of harsh side effects", specifically anti-dopaminergics.
It can have the side effect, akathisia. Which in my book is the worst possible psychological side effect.

Very interesting you brought up the dairy. I wouldn't say I'm lactose intolerant, maybe mildly. But I definitely will usually only keep it down to one cup of milk and a bowl of cereal spread throughout the day, too much milk makes me feel like shit. Never noticed it with cheese though. Although, wouldn't I have noticed these symptoms of the lorazepam longer ago? I have been that way with milk for quite some time.

Actually it's not uncommon for someone to have symptoms of lactose intolerance that show up/worsen over time or come and go. For example acquired lactase deficiency may develop in a person during illness, taking medications, or under stress. It's also normal for cheese and yogurt to be better tolerated than milk. It's very possible that it's just a sensitivity to the lorazepam, as Chromophobia suggested, but I do think it's worth trying a different brand just in case it helps.

When you mention taking more benzos saddens you, do you realize no one is suggesting taking additional benzos on top of the lorazepam you already take., but actually switching to an equipotent dose of a different benzo, say alprazolam or something similar ( in half life and effects). Maybe you just are having an adverse reaction to the ativan. Just clarifying in case it wasn't clear what people have been meaning. If you already got that, then this post is kind of pointless and I apologize.

I have a friend who has asthma, and can't take lorazepam. For some reason it makes it flair up really bad, while other benzos are fine for him. Just more or less, saying that things effect people differently based on a wide variety of factors that can't be fully understood or analyzed in general, let alone over the internet.

Consider a switch of generics, as I know people will argue to no end that it makes no difference, but it really can if you do your research. If all else fails switch to an equivalent dose of a different medication as others have suggested.

Consider a switch of generics, as I know people will argue to no end that it makes no difference, but it really can if you do your research. If all else fails switch to an equivalent dose of a different medication as others have suggested.

Yeah, I'd say you're right, trying a generic switch first may be the help. As others suggested some other inactive ingredients so makes sense.

And I agree with your second point, as much as I hate that idea, I'm sure there is something out there that will be at least fairly similar. Not all benzos are the same like some people think.

When you mention taking more benzos saddens you, do you realize no one is suggesting taking additional benzos on top of the lorazepam you already take., but actually switching to an equipotent dose of a different benzo, say alprazolam or something similar ( in half life and effects). Maybe you just are having an adverse reaction to the ativan. Just clarifying in case it wasn't clear what people have been meaning. If you already got that, then this post is kind of pointless and I apologize.

Yeah, I wouldn't take two types benzos anyway, most likely, especially as a cause of anti-anxiety. Yeah, I don't like alprazolam, at all. Obviously that wasn't what you meant, but thus far, lorazepam is my favorite. No worries for clarifying.

In case anyone is interested, if I take more than 0.5mg now I seem to get a hangover after like 2-3 hours, which sucks because I take it less now but when I do it's usually because I need it. The hangover can generally be prevented if you take more, then making it worse, a temporary solution to a future problem that will now be worse. It's more of a nighttime thing, but if I do too much at all, baaang, Naap and shit for half the day next day for up to 16 hours.

Not trying to resurrect a possibly dead thread or asking for advice either. I just found this a unique situation, I respond to substances oddly a lot. Such as basically no pupil dilation from LSD or MDMA, but dilated on drugs it happens to basically no one on. Obviously that didn't relate, but just throwing that out there. I'm sure I could name a lot more. Or the fact my HPPD goes away on MDMA, and only MDMA, and nothing else ever thus far. This baffles me. I have terrible HPPD, but natural herbs and tiredness makes it way worse, so it's kind of hard to stop everything to let it possibly fade, it doesn't bother me much anyway. Rarely notice it unless I think about it.

Back on topic: I would ask for a switch of medicines, but I'm afraid if I do, my doctor will say it's time to ween.. As that's what she's been getting at recently, just since I've been on it almost a couple years now. I am not addicted or dependent on them thankfully.
Unfortunately, I am still an anxious person a lot so I generally use a substance to let me be me, not sure if that sounds sad or not.

Peace.

P.S. Nausea is still present, less milk in general now since I think I feel better with less, but I don't think that was the problem.
I think the nausea may have been my bodies natural way of trying to reject a drug I still sometimes need in low doses since it associates it with 'problems' I had, escapism as opposed to recreation I'd say. Benadryl is the same way for me, as well as other minor drugs like Sudo or DMAA.

"lactase deficiency may develop in a person during illness, taking medications, or under stress." - Swimming

^^This could make sense too though.

I'm surprised no one else said this could be entirely psychosomatic. Not to say you're crazy, just that you're siking yourself out. A LOT of side effects from drugs come from people mental state. Most of the time, if you think it's going to happen, it does.

Your symptom is so ridiculously uncommon that I wouldn't be surprised if it's all in your head and you're making it happen just cause you think of it. Just by reading your post above I can tell you get anxious when taking any drug and probably only think of the worst.

Again, not meant to be mean, but your mental state plays a hugeeeeeeeee role in how a particular drug effects you.

Yeah, I agree to an extent, but the thing is, I'll pop them, then say be walking 20 minutes later and randomly feel like vomiting and not know why then a couple minutes later usually figure it out. And it's always after lorazepam. I am a strong believer in placebo, but of all things, why would benzos have to do this to me more than any other substance? And the hangover is for real, you can't make yourself feel as bad as it gets, it's not rebound anxiety either. It's like if you were rolling 300mg of molly, there's a point where you know it's not placebo : P And I never 'look' for side effects, (unless you include looking for the lamictal rash here and there) because where you look you will manage to find them a lot. But when you are leaning over a toilet about to throw up, didn't have to do much searching.

And I didn't take it as you being mean.

But yeah, mental state is almost everything in drugs imo.
Sudo causes bad vasoconstriction for me.
DMAA causes too much anxiety.
Benadryl brings back bad feelings.
Almost two years later with lorazepam, why now?

Glad you took my post the right way =D Some people lately seem to think I'm trying to call them crazy, when all I'm trying to do is give a possible explanation for their symptoms.

I agree with you based on you saying you were walking, which would likely indicate you weren't thinking about it at all, and even not knowing why you felt like vomiting at first. That doesn't seem to be placebo. Your symptoms are still definitely rare though, while possible. Seems unfortunate.

What really strikes me as weird is the comedown you say it gives you. I've personally never had ANY sort of comedown from taking a benzo. The effects sort of just.... go away lol. I would definitely talk to your doctor about switching to another benzo. My doc is pretty open about any new benzo I want to try to see if it's better for my anxiety. I started on xanax and talked to my doctor a couple weeks ago about possibly trying out klonopin to see if I get better effects from it, as medically prescribed that is. I do take it for stimulant comedowns whenever I can, which leads me to running out sooner as my dose is usually much higher.

Keep in mind, lorazepam is one of the most weak, if not the weakest, prescribed benzo.

I recommend you switch to Alprazolam if it's purely anxiety you take your medication for. Alprazolam really hits anxiety hard and has a really quick onset. After having just finished my 30x 0.5mg Clonazepam script, I don't feel as though it really does as much for my anxiety as I'd like it to, compared to being on Alprazolam before at the same dosage. The longer half life is what interests me, along with much stronger muscle relaxing properties which should further ease my anxiety, I would think ! But it's anxiolytic effects don't seem strong enough for me. It's said to be equal to Alprazolam on a mg basis, 0.5mg of Alprazolam is the same as 0.5mg of Clonazepam (according to the benzo equivalency chart), but for me personally I would say 0.5mg of Alprazolam is equal to about 1mg of Clonazepam.

I'm going to try to switch to a new benzo and test one more out. I'm going to ask my doctor to switch me to Diazepam. I had already pitched it to him and he said it's not typically prescribed for anxiety/panic attacks because of it's long half life, and I agreed and said I'll just go with Clonazepam. I'm hoping I can persuade to let me try it though. I actually feel the long half life will do me wonders.

Yeah, definitely rare I'd say.. And definitely unfortunate, because other than the nausea\hangover feeling, it meshes well with me.

I hadn't had it till recently, it's just this really like.. Hangover feeling that can only be helped by doing A. more benzos (not in a rebound anxiety way, it isn't anxiety) or B. Other drugs. Which kind of defeats the purpose of benzos anyway.

Primarily anxiety yeah, I've just noticed lorazepam has some fairly decent anti-manic properties, maybe others benzos will too.

I have only done Alprazolam once, but to me it was a little bit too sedating and messy headed. Which is odd, only took 0.5mg, and it knocked me out, whereas lorazepam usually doesn't knock me out unless I do like 6mg+, even then, I may be better off drinking some tea, which is why I got a sleeping pill script. But obviously I wouldn't take that coming down from uppers though. I would never dare doing taking like 2mg+ anymore because of the after effects, more like a mild 0.5mg now, I'll take more than that if I really feel like I need it though.
I would agree with the muscle relaxant properties of xanax, I felt pretty 'stoned' per se. I felt almost like I had popped 25mg seroquel.
I see what you mean about the Clonazepam, haven't taken that in more than half a year, but when I did I noticed I needed more for better anti-anxiety effect. Only lorazepam was prescribed though. Kpin honestly was really wonderful, I just don't know how to ask about it other than maybe "my mom responds well", which would be a truthful statement. The world almost seemed more bright on it, in a good way, not a sunglasses bright way. I did get pupil dilation on 1mg though, which was really annoying. Blood was clean fro mall other substances too. And by pupils dilated, as in I was called out on it. Never even thought to check the mirror, because I had never heard of benzos doing that.

I wasn't not trying to shoot down your xanax suggestion either, I like recommendations. I don't think you would've taken it that way anyway though.

Did 6mg Etizolam once, was definitely the best, but I guess it's technically an analogue of benzos and can't say that would get scripted to me : D