• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Lorazepam...I think I’m fine but just checking

Iridescent101

Greenlighter
Hey, so I had this really bad week and I had noticed that taking 3mg of lorazepam wasn’t really working anymore, so I (stupidly) took more for a period of several days. I don’t remember how much more. I do remember waking up crying and taking like another tablet to sleep again. I haven’t been doing this anymore; I stuck to 3mg and today started on 2mg. Any idea what kind of damage I did to myself and whether I’m going to be feeling unwell as I get it out of my system? Thanks so much; this makes me nervous.

i ask because I became unpleasantly irritable for days after I’d had a higher dose of the lorazepam. I’m usually full of patience, but I’ve been very short with everyone.

Taking less...will it be helpful? And fast? I haven’t been using lorazepam for more than a month even. I feel like I should be fine since it was just a few days but I’m bothered by feeling so irritated.

thanks so much :)

I would recommend looking into benzodiazapine dependency and withdrawals. While you probably won't feel anything too severe such as reaching threshold seizure territory although as I'm sure you've noticed you might be irritable, I think joint or muscle tension, guessing sleep will be hard, and maybe a couple of other things for a period especially during the stressful holiday's, which is possibly the source of stress that led you to use more, who knows I can't say as I don't know anything about you. As I suggested look into the dependency and withdrawals to figure out what you might deal with or what questions you can ask.

Gotta agree with taco.

I think "minor bitchiness" is just the threshhold withdrawal symptom for benzos, and GABA drugs in general. It's also a symptom of not sleeping well, and passing out on benzos or booze doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

I'm pretty sure there's no chance it's a sign of any "damage". I think a better question is what led you to take so much in the first place, cause you might still be feeling whatever depression or holiday drama led you to use.

Given that you said you took more Ativan than usual, but you're not sure how much more, it's difficult to say. But as long as you're not experiencing the shakes, nausea, chills and sweating, you're benzo withdrawals are not bad. You might experience rebound insomnia since you've been taking it to sleep. But given that you haven't even been taking it for less than a month, it's doubtful that you've done any long term damage or go through serious withdrawals. But if you start to experience any more severe symptoms than irritability, it would be advisable to seek medical help.