• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Loperamide, Tips, Tricks, and Minimum Effective Dosages.

SS373dOH

Bluelight Crew
The Loperamide topic has been a heated debated on BL for more than a decade. This thread will not exist to debate whether or not loperamide works, or not.8(
The basic premise of this thread will revolve around minimum effective dosages, and tips to increase efficiency and/or potentiation.

Loperamide has been an addicts otc miracle for some time now, but has been far from common knowledge. Now more than ever, the word is getting out there, and more and more users are turning to it, to relieve withdrawal. Many of them are searching different websites and scanning multiple pages of megathreads for how much to dose, but are getting varying answers. I would like to establish a minimum effective dose, that cures withdrawal symptoms, so newcomers can have some sense of certainty. We can also "try" to establish a minimum effective dose for recreational use as well.

When giving a minimum effective dose, please add how much of habit, that the loperamide overcame, for instance 16mg of lope, seems to be the magic number for me, that cures wd's from a 90-120mg oxycodone habit.

Any tips as far as when to take it, in comparison to when wd will occur, and anything that can be taken to increase it's efficiency, are welcomed.
If anyone has any experience taking p-gp inhibitors, to increase loperamide's effectiveness, feel free to add to the discussion, as this particular aspect has intrigued me for sometime.
8)

- 7nos SS373dOH

90-120mg oxy at a time or per day? Oral? And since the lope is long acting is the 16mg once a day?

I was taking 120mg at a time, plugged, 4x a day on avg. I tapered down but think I could have still easily taken that amount without feeling much.

I tried taking 10-12 mg lope to start and each time I hit the bathroom, regardless of outcome, I took another 4 mg. Maybe 3 or 4 times a day. I still felt like crap but it could have been much worse. I didn't have RLS at all but was taking baclofen and attributed it to that.

I guess you never get out without some discomfort so it's hard for me to say how well it worked and I haven't stopped enough to know what I should have experienced.

I will be paying attention and hope others can contribute. I would also like to know the max amount that can be taken safely in a day.

yes 90-120 mg per day, but intranasal. I would take 16mg at once, but I've heard of doses being split, thats what the sort of information I'd like to get documented.

-hs

sorry but does bupe give any effects ive heard both sides on bupe as well

I have always wanted to try loperamide but too scared to man, it's too many pills to take and not just that the awful constipation you will suffer from that much anti-diarrhea. Besides I already take methadone (MMT) every day. Hell probably just stick to crushable opana and roxy. At least I know what they do (;

For me after a 240mg a day or so oxy habit orally it took 50mg of lope to have any substantial relief. Scares the shit out of me though as I know how cardiotoxic it is. These were the regular lope tabs, generic brand. I've tried the gel tabs but for some reason they seem much less effective than the actual solid tab. Never tried the liquid.

^ Thanks for the input! Was this 50mg at once, or staggered doses throughout the day?

Btw, good idea listing what type of loperamide was used! Nice addition.

- Hopeless 7nos

I know the use of P-gp inhibitors could be risky, as well as other potentiators, but if it means you can dose less loperamide, does this risk then become worth it.
Basically the question I'm asking is, what's more dangerous, using a p-gp inhibitor so you can dose less lope, or dosing more lope without a potentiator? Any thoughts?

- Hopeless 7nos

I know the use of P-gp inhibitors could be risky, as well as other potentiators, but if it means you can dose less loperamide, does this risk then become worth it.
Basically the question I'm asking is, what's more dangerous, using a p-gp inhibitor so you can dose less lope, or dosing more lope without a potentiator? Any thoughts?

- Hopeless 7nos

Neither is a safe option, although I can't quantitatively compare them. PGP has a very important role - it pumps shit out of places where that shit could do damage, so inhibiting it might cause some problems in and of itself. While allowing loperamide to get into the CNS itself is not harmful (unless you overdose, of course), I doubt it outweighs the risks of PGP inhibition. Personally I think one should neither use a PGP inhibitor and low-dose loperamide, nor high-dose loperamide and no PGP inhibitor.

^ I'm going to have to agree with you. But what about a different potentiator, that isn't a pgp inhibitor?

Btw, this is the exact type of discussion we need to be having, for this thread to become a useful tool for people to dose loperamide as safely as possible in the future.

- Hopeless 7nos

What potentiator do you have in mind? As far as I know, no appreciable quantity of loperamide is able to get into the CNS under normal conditions due to it being a PGP substrate and thus subject to backward flux. I can't see a way around that apart from inhibiting the PGP. Also, loperamide appears to be a pretty potent opioid if something like 30 mg can alleviate the non-CNS part of a heavy heroin (way over 300 mg pure heroin) withdrawal, so even getting a little bit into the CNS would go a long way I bet.

Loperamide has been surprisingly effective at relieving withdrawal for me, compared to cold turkey I would say it relieves about 80% of the withdrawal. I was quite skeptical the first time I tried it, but the part about it binding to peripheral receptors made sense so I tried it. I have been off dope for a few years now (and thus also lope) but here are the tips and tricks I learned

Loperamide for me on a heroin habit of anywhere from 3-4 bags per day up to 20+ bags per day started taking away most of the withdrawal at a minimum dose of 20-26 mg (10-13 2 mg generic pills). That was absolute minimum. I preferred to start around 30-36 mg (15-18 2 mg generic pills). I never took any "mega doses" of like 50+ pills; I never needed to.

Loperamide takes about an hour to "kick in". Don't expect instant results. If you are in wd you'll notice after an hour or so "hey I don't feel like death!" It takes about 3 hours to hit max dose. So again, don't think after 15 minutes if you don't feel better you should dose more. Most likely it just hasn't hit yet. It also sort of builds up (like methadone) due to it being so long lasting, so after a few times dosing it will be stronger.

Loperamide will dehydrate you. Drink lots of water

Loperamide has a half life of like 11-12 hours. You don't need to take it more than 2x per day. Some people can do once after the first few days. But after a week or so start tapering off. You don't want a lope habit. As in anything, used moderately it's very useful. Taken at high doses over a long period of time it can be harmful.

Loperamide will make you very lethargic. And not in a good way. That's the one aspect of withdrawal it does nothing for and even makes it worse. You will feel like no energy, blah....complete opposite of the energy you can get from opiates.

You can get precipitated wd if switching to subs from lope. Even if you're just "cushioning" the switch. I have a thread from a few years ago around here somewhere detailing my experience. In summary--not a pleasant experience.

Best advice I have is start around 20-30 mg depending on habit/tolerance. If you're not feeling at least 70% better in a few hours then titrate up.

I think that is all the tips/tricks I can remember at the moment. If I think of more I'll add them. It's been a few years since I needed lope , but it definitely helped

Oh, I didn't experiment with PgP inhibitors. Loperamide alone worked fine. And tbh the articles I've seen about Parkinson's like symptoms from lope crossing BBB with inhibitors sort of discouraged me. Honestly I think most inhibitors hold more risk than reward. To me, take enough lope and you're not dopesick. Do it short term. Taking an inhibitor can lead to a mess worse than withdrawal.

But it is interesting in a theoretical sense. The issue i see is you don't know how much you're inhibiting...and what may happen. I dont know lol I'm not interested in being a human Guinea pig. Esp when i don't even use lope anymore

Great idea for a thread. There are so many random ones--this centralizing of info is a good idea

EDIT: forgot to say, when dosing loperamide to make sure that loperamide is the ONLY active ingredient. Some formulations like liquid actually have other active ingredients that you don't want to take in large amounts. Usually the 2 mg generic tablets are what you want.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the input! Was this 50mg at once, or staggered doses throughout the day?

Btw, good idea listing what type of loperamide was used! Nice addition.

- Hopeless 7nos
It was staggered by a few hours. I think I started with 30mg then added another 20mg.

EDIT: Also I might add the constipation wasn't bad at all.

Loperamide has been surprisingly effective at relieving withdrawal for me, compared to cold turkey I would say it relieves about 80% of the withdrawal. I was quite skeptical the first time I tried it, but the part about it binding to peripheral receptors made sense so I tried it. I have been off dope for a few years now (and thus also lope) but here are the tips and tricks I learned

Loperamide for me on a heroin habit of anywhere from 3-4 bags per day up to 20+ bags per day started taking away most of the withdrawal at a minimum dose of 20-26 mg (10-13 2 mg generic pills). That was absolute minimum. I preferred to start around 30-36 mg (15-18 2 mg generic pills). I never took any "mega doses" of like 50+ pills; I never needed to.

Loperamide takes about an hour to "kick in". Don't expect instant results. If you are in wd you'll notice after an hour or so "hey I don't feel like death!" It takes about 3 hours to hit max dose. So again, don't think after 15 minutes if you don't feel better you should dose more. Most likely it just hasn't hit yet. It also sort of builds up (like methadone) due to it being so long lasting, so after a few times dosing it will be stronger.

Loperamide will dehydrate you. Drink lots of water

Loperamide has a half life of like 11-12 hours. You don't need to take it more than 2x per day. Some people can do once after the first few days. But after a week or so start tapering off. You don't want a lope habit. As in anything, used moderately it's very useful. Taken at high doses over a long period of time it can be harmful.

Loperamide will make you very lethargic. And not in a good way. That's the one aspect of withdrawal it does nothing for and even makes it worse. You will feel like no energy, blah....complete opposite of the energy you can get from opiates.

You can get precipitated wd if switching to subs from lope. Even if you're just "cushioning" the switch. I have a thread from a few years ago around here somewhere detailing my experience. In summary--not a pleasant experience.

Best advice I have is start around 20-30 mg depending on habit/tolerance. If you're not feeling at least 70% better in a few hours then titrate up.

I think that is all the tips/tricks I can remember at the moment. If I think of more I'll add them. It's been a few years since I needed lope , but it definitely helped

Oh, I didn't experiment with PgP inhibitors. Loperamide alone worked fine. And tbh the articles I've seen about Parkinson's like symptoms from lope crossing BBB with inhibitors sort of discouraged me. Honestly I think most inhibitors hold more risk than reward. To me, take enough lope and you're not dopesick. Do it short term. Taking an inhibitor can lead to a mess worse than withdrawal.

But it is interesting in a theoretical sense. The issue i see is you don't know how much you're inhibiting...and what may happen. I dont know lol I'm not interested in being a human Guinea pig. Esp when i don't even use lope anymore

Great idea for a thread. There are so many random ones--this centralizing of info is a good idea

EDIT: forgot to say, when dosing loperamide to make sure that loperamide is the ONLY active ingredient. Some formulations like liquid actually have other active ingredients that you don't want to take in large amounts. Usually the 2 mg generic tablets are what you want.
Thanks for the input! Exactly what we're looking for.

- Hopeless 7nos