• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide is deadly

averagedoc

Greenlighter
I read through the Loperamide mega thread. I am very concerned for the safety of the community.

I researched this a bit and I want you all to know that there is absolutely no doubt that high dose loperamide is deadly due to heart toxicity.

There have been several recent deaths reported (all over the country) in the medical literature due to loperamide induced heart conduction problems in the last year.....more and more this year are having this cardiac effect. Probably due to dissemination of information on forums like this leading to more high dose use. Several people have been found dead at home with no cause other than massive blood levels of loperamide. In addition, patients who have survived have come close to death in the hospital.

There is no treatment other than time in the hospital off the drug, and shocking your heart when it goes into ventricular tachycardia or other rhythm disorders....apparently many people never made it to the hospital....at least 3 deaths at home that I found in the literature....and many patients with near death events requiring hospitalization and intensive care. There is no way to reverse the toxicity except to wait it out...no reversal drug for the cardiac toxic effect. This is not an opiate effect on the heart, it is a different aspect of the molecule that blocks ion channels in the heart...this effect can also be seen with high dose methadone, which is similar in structure to lope.

Most of the reports seem to indicate DAILY use of loperamide at 100mg or more. However, this does not mean that lower doses are safe. Obviously the normal doses are very safe, but anything above that and you are risking sudden death.

The LONGER you take it, the higher the risk...one report showed that the patient only started to have significant problems after 9 months of use...daily use will build up the dose in your system and the toxicity is more likely.

Please do not take high dose loperamide!!!!

You can easily die. These were all otherwise healthy young people.

Its clear that some individuals do get addicted to this drug for whatever reason. Im not here to argue about that. I believe it is euphoric to some people and not others.

I highly doubt its high is worth death or long hospitalization.

Its unpredictable who will get the cardiac effects, but clearly its not the exception, its very common.

If you MUST take this, please please heed this warning. Use as little as possible...NEVER USE 100mg or more. Do no exceed the max dose of 16mg a day.

Never take it two days in a row at any dose above the standard doses... there is no need anyway, the reports here suggest is holds WD for at least 2 days. Those who get high from it report it lasting 2-3 days on one dose.

Dont combine it with other drugs or medications.

FDA is getting these reports and I would anticipate some action such as limiting the quantity that can be sold (like pseudo?) or moving it to RX only.

But commercial interests from the manufacturers might limit this.....

I doubt it will be scheduled..Ive never heard of OTC direct to scheduled....

Sadly moving hydrocodone to C2 and making Kratom illegal will probably only move more people to Lope with resultant toxicity that could have been avoided with something apparently safer like Kratom.

If you are in WD, consider only low dose Kratom as a better legal alternative for WD or better yet, see a doctor....

There is no question in my MD mind....sadly Loperamide is a heart poison at the doses most need to get the "high" that they are looking for....

Just stick to the acceptable doses of 16mg a day or less and that has been shown to be safe and does not affect the heart.

Please be careful.

Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to for a while.

I was using between 30-100mg of lopermide per day for only a few months (around 4 or 5 months) while chipping a opiate habit, and I began getting near fainting spells, serious difficulty breathing, and a deep chest pain like nothing I've experienced near the end as my loperamide dose was getting close to 100mg a day. I did some research and low and behold, my near fainting spells of syncope caused by the loperamide, were likely caused by heart arrythmias from prolonged qtc intervals of my heart beat from the high dose loperamide, which wasn't even that high. Not to mention, the shit is addictive as a maintaince drug, and lying to yourself pretending your just chipping hard opiates and are fine.

I got off it about 5 months ago now and all the breathing problems, extremely low heart rate especially when waking in the morning, the chest pains and near fainting, super light headed feeling spells went away once I quit. I switched to kratom off it to make the transition easier, and I'm certain it nearly saved my life. The stuff is without a doubt very cardiotoxic! loperamide that is. Some people are more sensitive to the cardiotoxic effects like I am, and others are not, but in high enough doses, everyone is effected by it, and it's toxic!

The good thing is if you quit now, the cardiotoxic effects appear to be reversible, so please, anyone reading this, quit now! Get on a real maintenance drug like suboxone, methadone (also may prolong qtc though and cause heart problems), or kratom! Anything is better then high dose loperamide!

Read for more info about how bad it is here: https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...learinghouse-password-protected-see-comments/

Last edited:
I remember reading that lope is somehow similar to MPTP...or something to that effect. There's little research on heavy use and it definitely feels nasty compared to other opiates. I got extreme dry mouth and pounding heart when I tried 10 pills.

If you're looking for something to help ease withdrawal, go for kratom, low-dose DXM or tianeptine. (All of which are legal and cheap in most states). If you're looking for a cheap opiate high, for god sake look elsewhere!

I dont believe that is an issue here. Its the cardiac conduction poisoning that is the issue.

Last edited:
pbuilder,

Im very interested in what happened to you. Im trying to better understand this problem. Would you be more willing to share details?

(1) you mentioned 30-100mg a day....can you be more specific? Was it more like 100 most days or 30? What was average....?
(2) Did you always take daily or did you skip days? Did you skip any days in that period?
(3) How long after starting the lope did you start to have symptoms of a problem?
(4) Did the lope make you euphoric or just control WD.
(5) Why did you use daily instead of every other day? Just out of habit? Im sure the effect persists longer much than 24hours.

Any other details would be helpful.

Thank you

I didn't use it reguary, just when nothing else was around...usually I would take 50 so 100mg...sometimes I woud take the whole bottle(72 pills so 144mg) BUT I woudn't dose any the next day as I still felt well. I wouldn't do it now, that's when I was taking tons of Roxi's,Norcos,Percocet,some morphine...whatever was around that was an opiate. If I did it now I would not go over 20 pills(40mg) just to get rid of w/d and taper off of it, but definitaty not take it daily, even when I did that I didn't want to take it daiy it would make me sooooo tired of two days of high dosing...Not dicksizing but my biggest anti-shit dose whas 180mg...I really wanted to get high sooo, ya. But I know there are people taking more than that everyday, I would just sleep all the damn time.

I didn't use it reguary, just when nothing else was around...usually I would take 50 so 100mg...sometimes I woud take the whole bottle(72 pills so 144mg) BUT I woudn't dose any the next day as I still felt well. I wouldn't do it now, that's when I was taking tons of Roxi's,Norcos,Percocet,some morphine...whatever was around that was an opiate. If I did it now I would not go over 20 pills(40mg) just to get rid of w/d and taper off of it, but definitaty not take it daily, even when I did that I didn't want to take it daiy it would make me sooooo tired of two days of high dosing...Not dicksizing but my biggest anti-shit dose whas 180mg...I really wanted to get high sooo, ya. But I know there are people taking more than that everyday, I would just sleep all the damn time.

Yeah, I took 200 mg once just to try it. It made my chest hurt and felt unsafe. I was also kinda whacky for a few days. Nice contribution thanks for sharing.

This is not an opiate effect on the heart, it is a different aspect of the molecule that blocks ion channels in the heart...this effect can also be seen with high dose methadone, which is similar in structure to lope.

This really concerns me..... I live in a city where done clinics are as common as mcdonalds, pushed on anyone struggling with opiates, and even told that they will earn respect from dr as patients in my experience in a psych ward after walking into a street when a hospital refused to acknowledge an emergency where a computer error left me without a prescription for ER OC yet even riding an ambulance to a hospital that vouches I was a pain patient refused to even treat my pain or manage any of the obvious developing health issues on the grounds they refuse to give me narcotics leading to me exlaiming I was off to kill myself, to hear the staff erupt in laughter, I smashed my head on the door on the way out stopping one last time to tell the check in person behind the window to tell the staff I was leaving to kill myself and end my life, and getting hit going 30-40 where I am lucky to have walked away only with some obvious scratches and possible further damage on issues my case is too "complicated" leaving most doctors shutting me out before I can even express my complicated history of issues yet gladly accepting my insurance money. Although hey at least they aren't enabling an "addiction" right?

Anyways back on track I want the studies and facts about the methadone statement. If true it should be spread.... IMO Oxymorphone IR or ER and oxycodone ER abuse proof formulation with monitored oral dosing on a personalized schedule with access to an nmda antagonist like DXM, ketamine, or possibly even mementine for those who need it would be a much more effective replacement for methadone.... I would say oxymorphine iv available and maybe extreme cases although after watching the russle brand produced documentary on the drug war especially the UK where he visited a safe drug access point where he was very tempted to break his abstinence just meeting one of the dope smokers. I agree with his view in the end that it's a glorified well managed and run crack house. Although I don't deny the positive impact it just seemed like a methadone clinic here where recovery is optional and some just use it to maintain their well being to find ways to support their habit usually ending up on one hustle or another. The methadone situation is bad.

Also I apologize for topic jacking a bit. Lope is bad.... hurts your heart.... Don't do it

Thank you for the post, an yes this is something we try to warn people about on a routine basis. There is a bad levels of information going around on this stuff that we try to help warn people about here. One of the difficulties of a harm reduction board is that sometimes people post stupid information and we are not her 24/7 to always dispel what they have said. So somebody goes online types in lope abuse and they get some thread from 2001 that mentions it help with WD so they decided on their own to take 100 mg. But I believe in my heart this site save more lives than its hurts.

I believe in my heart this site save more lives than its hurts.

QFT The only harm done is people making their own mistakes. While many preach having good exp with lope it's usually against advice to stop and if not at least harm reduce as long term side effects obviously weren't studied enough. Now sadly as many chose to make themselves into lab rats as does the majority of the RC scene leading to a better understanding. Hopefully spreading this warning will save lives.

If more cases, studies and plain facts are posted this should be a stickied thread. I want the evidence on the methadone still.

pbuilder,

Im very interested in what happened to you. Im trying to better understand this problem. Would you be more willing to share details?

(1) you mentioned 30-100mg a day....can you be more specific? Was it more like 100 most days or 30? What was average....?
(2) Did you always take daily or did you skip days? Did you skip any days in that period?
(3) How long after starting the lope did you start to have symptoms of a problem?
(4) Did the lope make you euphoric or just control WD.
(5) Why did you use daily instead of every other day? Just out of habit? Im sure the effect persists longer much than 24hours.

Any other details would be helpful.

Thank you

I took it daily when I didn't have heroin or fentanyl. (Which was most of the time, I was using actually opiates maybe 10 days out of the month, max)

I started around 30mg a day, and during those 5 months worked my way up to 100mg a day being the highest only at the very end. (As my other opiate habits increased, and I transitioned from h, to fentanyl analogues for the most part because it was cheaper...which was the worst decision ever, they jacked up my tolerance really fast and the withdrawals, oh lordie)

I wouldn't take it if I had heroin or fentanyl, so sometimes for 5 days straight I wouldn't take the loperamide while on a fentanyl binge or something, but I began noticing that h didn't give me a rush anymore, and I'd feel bad even on the h, like restless limbs still, head aches, the fent analogues were also barely getting me high, likely because the loperamide also massively jacked up my tolerance, along with the other opiates I was using.

I took it daily because of habit I guess, I'm sure it was building up in my system to extremely high doses because I was taking it daily and it has a half life of like 14 hours.

It just kept the withdrawals away at first, not euphoric really, but then I began getting those side effects as I started pushing the dose over 60-80mg a day.

Glad to say today, the only opiates I use are red vein kratom, 5 grams twice a day, glad to be off all that shit I was on, especially the high dose loperamide, the side effects I was getting made me truly feel like I was about to die, or was close to death. Something felt very wrong.
I forgot to mention, I also woke up several times gasping for air and cold and sweaty while on the highest doses near the end right before I got off it. I would stumble to the washroom and look like a fucking ghost man, so pale. Scary stuff. My heart may have stopped, I can't say for sure.

Also, I was very very constipated on the stuff, which could have also have caused serious problems had I not gotten off it. I now shit daily again xd

I should also mention I was taking several grams of cracked black pepper with it aswell most of the time, which has a chemical called piperine that apparently inhibits the things at your blood brain barrier that keep loperamide from being very cns active and crossing into your brain, and I did notice increased effects from this, and especially near the end, when I would take the black pepper with about 100mg of lope, within 30 minutes I'd have really really bad chest pain.

Last edited:
QFT The only harm done is people making their own mistakes. While many preach having good exp with lope it's usually against advice to stop and if not at least harm reduce as long term side effects obviously weren't studied enough. Now sadly as many chose to make themselves into lab rats as does the majority of the RC scene leading to a better understanding. Hopefully spreading this warning will save lives.

If more cases, studies and plain facts are posted this should be a stickied thread. I want the evidence on the methadone still.

Methadone is well known to possibly prolong qtc, which is why, especially if you are on it at high doses, you should be monitored often by your doctor with regular ekg's to check your heart rythm and qtc length.

A quick google search will lead to lots of evidence that supports this.

Here's one: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/707342

And another: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/medi...are/documents/methadoneandqtcprolongation.pdf

There's no doubt that lope in crazy doses over a prolonged period is unsafe.
However, I would not rule it out for a RAPID opiate taper or a TEMPORARY bridge of WD until you get your medicine.

There's no. Need to take doses of 50+mg no matter your opiate habit , it does more harm than good.

Don't take more than 25-30mg per dose, and don't use it longer than 7-10 days for a quick taper/bridge.

and if you must......do not use it every 24 hours! Use it every 48 hours at most and then the top recommended dose would be 32mg, which is 16mg per 24hrs which is the top end of the "normal" dosing. Yes I know this will reach a higher peak and lower trough level.

Just bumping this. Too many people are still turning to lope for WD when there is poppy seed tea instead or suboxone

Just bumping this. Too many people are still turning to lope for WD when there is poppy seed tea instead or suboxone

I've tried convincing my friend for weeks to stop lope and get some poppy seeds. He just ignores me.

I wish the best to you. It is hard to watch a friend kill themself chasingbthe dragon.

Well, this certainly explains something. I have some sort of enzyme oddity that makes me extremely sensitive to opiates. (I get the nods on 5 mg of oxycodone and it takes forever to wear off as well as making me puke my guts up).

2 OTC loperamide tabs taken according to pkg directions for diarrhea not only makes me high, they give me an irregular heartbeat and a general feeling of being unwell. I was not aware of the fact that Loperamide was an "opiate" or that it could be dangerous. I just figured it was yet another drug sensitivity on my part.

The upside to this is that I can take half a 5/325 Vicodin when my back is acting up and be quite pleasantly out of pain and wasted for several hours. The downside is that I can never fool with stronger or "street" opiates for fear of killing myself.