• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Loperamide as an opiate potentiator

KS78

Bluelighter
I searched the forums but couldn't really get a good answer. Does Loperamide potentiate opiates? I also read that Loperamide decreases the metabolization of some opiates, does this mean that the opiate stays in the system longer? If I wanted to decrease the amount of opiates I consume by half, around what dose do you think that it could be effective?
Thanks.

Loperamide is a peripheral opioid agonist and hence doesn't produce much "central" opioid effects - it mostly acts on the gut to slow its activity, rather than a painkiller or euphoriant.

I don't think it is a very strong enzyme inhibitor so it wouldn't produce major changes in how long existing drugs take to be metabolized. I'd say you would be lucky to get a 5-10% potentiation, if that. I very much doubt it would reduce your opioid use by 50%.

@sekio is bang on here, I would however add, that it was initially synthesised to be a painkiller, and peripherally is the same potency as Hydromorphone. I have had mood enhancement above 25-30mg but it’s not advised. Essentially, take away any opioids ability to cross the BBB, and it could be marketed as an anti-diarrheal!!

When you took that amount, did you combine it with any potentiators like Omeprazole?

No @KS78, just the lope on an empty stomach. Please note however, I only do this very occasionally to minimise withdrawal, it’s not really sustainable as a potentiatior.

In a simple sense, it should fill up your peripheral Mu receptors (mainly gut) leaving your DOC free to saturate more brain receptors. Doubt it works that way though!!

I want to use it for withdrawal as well; this thread was more curiously related. I have been reading about it for many years but never but this time I probably will.
Before, for many years, intravenous heroin and cocaine was my addiction which I both used in quite high doses. I usually went cold turkey and I stopped with Methadone as well Buprenorphine a few times. My last time was cold turkey which was about 10 years ago.
After about 10 years off heroin, being a cocky junky, I got dependent on opium and dried poppies.
I have to taper down as much as I can then I'm thinking of using Loperamide. I use about 500-600 mg of opium a day so about 60 mg of morphine + many other Alkoloids.
How much and what were you using that 30mg of Loperamide gave you relief? Do you think that 30mg Loperamide is a good dose for me to start with in orderto get through the acute withdrawal? It makes me nervous because of the effects on the heart but I don't have another option.

When you took that amount, did you combine it with any potentiators like Omeprazole?

Omeprazole potentiates opioids?! GODAMN IT I have a script for that and have been not taking it because I thought it would have the opposite effect. Someone on here told me that the less acidic your stomach was, the less opioid was absorbed (or something like that).

As far as I know, it's just the opposite; a basic environment helps them to be absorbed better.

"It's not an opioid potentiator, it IS an opioid."
I know that.

That's what I'd thought too. The guy who misinformed me is gonna get slit from sack to throat, hunty! (JK btw, honest mistake and I have no recollection of who it was). Thanks for clarifying.

It is an opioid yes, but because of it’s peripheral nature, we can bypass the semantics, for purposes of our discussion lol.

I never used alone really, usually with a gabapentoid for WD. However an Oxy habit of about 150mg a day, was significantly helped by 30mg Lope. Not just liquibowel, but yawning, temp changes, shivers, all but gone.

Hey KS78! I understand your question and I've actually come to the same conclusion as some of the other people before me have. I think that Loperamide (Immodium) is just another Opioid and doesn't exert any major effects in the body outside of its role as a peripheral Opioid agonist. Correct me if I'm wrong science guys, but I think this explains things.

Morphine (Full Agonist) + Loperamide (Peripheral Agonist) = Morphine and Loperamide

Cocaine + Alcohol = Cocaine and Alcohol and benzoylecgonine, a third and distinct product

not all drug reactions produce synergistic effects like the ones in the latter reaction. I am typing this from a tablet and I know this is probably very rudimentary, but I thought it was worth a shot

Spot on really @Keif' Richards 👍. One day I am sure a lab somewhere, will definitively prove the amount of BBB crossing of lope, and/or if occupying peripheral receptors, boosts a typical agonist in its brain agonism!!