• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Loperamide/96 mgs) Experienced: YES, I'm high.

The heart rhythm problems are a deal breaker for me. I stick to the recommended doses on the box for withdrawal. If taken with dxm I definitely feel "something" could be just placebo I guess at 2mg doses. I'm really sensitive to medications and don't think anyone could duplicate this. If I upped the dose I might feel more but I'm terrified of the long QT symptoms I have enough problems being addicted to poppy tea and alcohol.

I get a feeling in my gut I associate with the opiate high and I feel a slightly manic euphoric buzz.

This past Sunday my gf just fainted, fell to the ground, was unresponsive and was slightly shaking. about 7 seconds later she snapped out of it and had no idea what it was. She didn't eat all day, was only drinking Dew and not sleeping well lately. Chalked it up to maybe low sugar. Couple hours later watching TV with her she slumped over near me and once again, unresponsive and shaking for about 20 seconds. Scared the holy crap out of me. Never seen something like that before. Googled it and symptoms looked to point at it possibly being seizures. I wanted to take her to the ER but she said she's not going. She was an addict years ago so that made me wonder and ask her "why, are you afraid something will show up?"...she just said no and that was it. Couldn't force her to go.

Next day I drive her to work cuz there was no way i was letting her drive and possibly pass out while driving. Drop her off, get home, 10 mins later I get a call to come back because she had 2 more episodes. She had a 3rd on my way there (40 min drive) so they called 911. Got there while the ambulance got there.

Got to ER and she was all hooked up to monitors. From our explanations the doctors said it sounds like a seizure but the fact that she's pretty much back to normal after snapping out of it, something didn't seem right. My GF's sister was also there, she's an ER Nurse. She asked them to hook her sister up to the heart monitor so she could see what's happening. The GF had another episode and the heart monitor told a different tale. Tox ER doc came back and asked her if she's been taking Imodium recently. To my surprise my gf said yes she has. I thought to myself "so what". The doctor asked her how many she's been taking..he asked "30 to 40?"...she said "yes, 30-40". I thought I heard them wrong and he meant 3-4. She then had another episode...passing out on the bed for about 10 seconds and then sitting up and tightly clenching. It's some of the scariest shit I've ever seen. Asked when the last time she took them she told them "this morning"...so after 2 seizures the day before and me dropping her off in the morning she took a "handful" of Imodium at work.

Her heart rate dropped down to 28-32 BPM at certain points. It was then determined she a lethal heart arrhythmia due to abuse of Imodium pills. I was shocked. I had no fucking clue she was doing this. I could never even tell she was high.

So after that she was giving drugs to speed up her heart so it doesn't dip down to levels to cause another attack. She was pumped with Magnesium and something else because her mag and potassium levels were very low. As of Monday she's in the ICU, her potassium and magnesium levels are up but her heart is still too toxic and needs to be on the Isopropysomething. She may have to have a temporary pace maker put on. They're keeping her there for a week. If she was stubborn and refused to go to the ER she would have died from fucking an overdose of anti-shitting pills. RIDICULOUS!

After further discussion we found out she was getting a 200 pill bottle every 2 days from Walmart. I'm was so disappointed in her. Told her when we started dating if she ever abuses again that I'm out of here. Seems like she chose addiction/drugs over our relationship. We will talk when she's out of the hospital and take it one day at a time. I love her but I told her i would not tolerate drug use again.

While she was zonked out in her ICU room I went through her phone and opened up her web browser and this forum was actually open on the screen. Lookign at her history she was researching the effects of imodium, seeing if imodium is causing her swelled feet...so she read shit yet still took it. I'm not addicted to anything so I have no idea what an addict is thinking when they choose possible death and getting high over family/relationship/job/money.

So you folks abusing this shit should be very careful. She's not in the clear yet. Heart still not clean enough to pump at a normal BPM without the drug they're giving her. Her seizures just keep replaying in my mind every so often. It's horrible to see.

Last edited:
Damn man I am very sorry to hear your girl is in a bad spot. Unfortunately addiction is a strong disease that renders us humans at times powerless. It's good that she made it there okay and was able to get help. If she passes out somewhere by herself it would have been bad news. I hope that she will be okay and just my opinion as an addict myself, she is going to need you now more than ever. I know it's hard but if you can not view it as she picked a chemical substance OVER you, she is just infected and sometimes it makes people make bad decisions and unfortunately it hurts the people that we love and care about. I am happy for you that you are not dealing with this yourself. You have no idea how lucky you are to be clean. So good luck and I wish you both the best!

Thanks DogLover. She's slowly getting better. More alert today and her QTs are better. Just a mix of emotions from upset, disappointed, scared and angry with/for her. She's been clean for 5 years..before me she was in rehabs 3x for all kinds of drugs. Thought she was in the clear now but I guess you're never in the clear. Ill do my best to support her and make it work. If she knows she has a problem and wont do anything to help herself, why should I waste my time with her.

Good luck with your addictions...maybe some day you can figure it all out and be an ex-addict..if there's such a thing.

Last edited:
Hahahahahahaah!!!! the guy who said he took robo to get high then said I'll never be able to cough again.. that was so funny to me.

I really need to get some of this for when I'm withdrawing but I wonder how much I would need since I have such a horribke habit =/

I spent the last 2 years self medicating with loperamide after using it to come off of suboxone... Tolerance causes half life to shrink and you eventually find yourself taking a mega-dose of 100+ pills every 12 hours to avoid withdrawal. So, it took about a year for my strength to completely deteriorate, My vision to go blurry, my lung capacity to become limited... And then the dizziness started, and I found myself fainting just by doing easy tasks such as walking. I knew it was the cardiotoxicity, yet being more concerned about the dreaded withdrawal, I continued eating them with my 2 time a day cup of milk regiment. Eventually my wife found me in bed with the inability to stand up, so she literally dragged me into the car and took me to the ER. I was pronounced dead on arrival due to a fatal arrhythmia, also know as ventricular tachycardia. After defibrillating my heart in attempt to get a pulse, I came back from sudden cardiac death and was helicoptered to a better hospital due to doctors believing I was in need of a transplant. Eventually managed to get released after ICD implant. I kept my little secret and continued on my immodium spree for a few more days, up until I went for a follow up and they did a EKG only to find the ventricular tachycardia had returned. The doctor quickly shocked my heart back into a normal rhythm and gave me 2 options... I either get on sotalol or they do an ablation... I chose the sotalol route, knowing that there was not truly anything wrong with my heart and fearing permenant damage if they burn random spots in my heart. While in the ICU, they told me I would have to stay in the hospital for 3 days so they could closely monitor how the sotalol effected me. Once night time had came around, so had the withdrawals. I waited for my wife to fall asleep, unplugged myself from the monitors, grabbed the keys and snuck out to make the drive to Walmart. By the time I made it back into the hospital, security was looking for me. I got back into the room and with no surprise to me, the immodium I took brought me right back into vtach. The doctors figured it was drug induced, but didn't know what to test for. The next day I came clean to everyone , out of fear that the doctor would go through with the ablation, and due to just wanting to be alive and free from this addiction (the doctor still chose to go through with the ablation without finding any scarring after looking for 5 hours, apparently the arryhtmias kept coming from different locations) and with the support of my family and the doctors at Tampa general hospital, I managed to suffer out the first week of withdrawal in the hospital. They sent me home after 6 days of heavy IV potassium and magnesium intake, due to my doctor believing that they were depleted at a intracellular level... Here I am, week 2... Feeling nearly 90% withdrawal free. The first 4 days were identical to that of a typical sub withdrawal, but by day 5 the symptoms slowly began subsiding. The withdrawal symptoms of immodium are so mild, I think that if more addicts only knew, they would quickly jump off of the easy loperamide fix. Trust me, I have a big peace of metal that shocks me if my heart rate is too high or too low, I can't even take a swim in cold water without feeling the shocks. My team of electricians and cardiologist are among some of the best in the country, so yes... I consider myself lucky to be alive. After reading I realized there were plenty of immodium addicts that were pronounced DOA who weren't lucky enough to be sharing their story today. Be mindful over what pills you put in your body. Immodium is a life safer if used properly, but it is not something you want to trade addictions for. It will eventually kill you.

Wow, that's a harrowing tale... it's amazing/shocking the lengths people will go to to avoid opiate withdrawal (I know seeing as how I was on opiates for 10 years and basically ruined my life for years to avoid withdrawal). To those without experience, it seems like insanity, and in fact it is, but it doesn't make it less real. I'm glad you finally seem to have gotten free. Stay strong, it's worth getting through and suffering through withdrawals and then cravings to stay alive. <3

I'll tack on to this 10 page thread too. I tried this out of desperation when planning to w/d from a heavy oxycodone binge, I'd gone through w/d a lot before so I knew how bad it was going to be and wanted to see if the rumors were true about an OTC Sub/Methadone substitute. At 36 hours or so after my last taste of oxy I took 50mg or so of Loperamide and settled into bed to see if it'd at the very least keep me from running to the bathroom constantly. A few hours later I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that my nose wasn't running, my bowels weren't spewing water, and I wasn't really craving a hit of oxy that badly. I checked my pupils, they were pinned out and I could feel a little hint of a opioid buzz. It was strange because mentally I wasn't far from sober but my body felt like an opioid was in it. I went to bed hopeful to get a good nights rest and happy that the reports I'd heard were true.

Morphine was by far my favorite out of the opioids I'd tried over the years and lope reminded me so much of it. My favorite part of morphine were the morphine dreams where you'd nod off and see scenes play out behind your eye lids. Lope is basically Morphine's evil brother and it showed me why that night. I spent 9-12 hours falling in and out of a light sleep/nod and having horrible dreams/visions. At some point I remember hearing a cat snarling and thought a stray one had gotten into bed with me. It attacked me because I rolled over on top of it and I ended up tumbling in bed trying to get away from it. I snapped awake and realized this wasn't really happening only to fall back into another horrible dream the details of I don't remember. After many hours of this I realized I was delirious and was reminded of my experience with Diphenhydramine from my youth. I am not sure if I really slept that night or if these dreams were just visions, I certainly didn't feel like I'd slept.

I spent the next two days in bed with an odd buzz that wasn't pleasant and a constant headache. I had nausea, gas that hurt and was hard to expel because of the constipation, dry mouth that no amount of water would help, I retained urine, and to top it all off my heart kept doing funny things and I was having chest pains. After 48 hours I was concerned because I assumed the Lope should have worn off long ago. I didn't sleep until the third night and it was a week until I felt even close to 100% again. I didn't have a bowel movement for a 5 days and was growing concerned about the football I eventually pushed out. It did allow me to skip acute w/d from oxy but considering how bad it made me feel I would have just preferred to ride it out with no drugs. I wouldn't repeat.

I can also say that... YES! It actually works for wds! Hurricane Mathew hit here in south Florida on Thursday, leaving me pill-less yesterday and today... After 24+ hrs without taking anything, the wds were getting bad... I read this entire thread from beginning to end. I got my sick ass outta bed at 4am n headed off to a 24hour Walgreens... I bought a 24 pack of loperamide, I ate them all, n by time I got home I was able to lay down and actually relax... So relaxed in fact, the I fell immediately asleep... I woke up today feeling "fine." Not gooooooood but fine... Little bit of a weird feeling in my stomach n my vision is blurred, but fine none the less. It doesn't feel like an oxy high... More like a synthetic tramadol like high... I'm going to try to eat, then I'm heading off to Walmart to buy bulk of loperamide

I don't feel like taking 50-60 pills of loperamide ever, if I were seriously withdrawing from opioids again, there's always codeine which I'd use for that purpose any time over loperamide, although I bet neither would actually help for bupe's withdrawals. Taking 50-60 times the regular dose of a drug that very poorly crosses the BBB and most of it ends up circulating peripherally likely constipating you for a few days at best, at worst giving you a serious medical condition - it should be repeated more often that it doesn't matter how "experienced" a junkie you are, you can still hurt yourself badly with loperamide. Serious doubts about using extremely high doses of loperamide to get high or ease WD are actually very substantiated in my opinion and it's like a completely different problem with this drug other than whether loperamide high is a myth or not.

PLEASE be careful with lopermide. My boyfriend overdosed and died on it not 3 months ago. You may think it is harmless, but it CAN stop your heart at high doses. There are not a ton of recorded cases because they never tested people for it in the past, but it is very dangerous.

PLEASE be careful with lopermide. My boyfriend overdosed and died on it not 3 months ago. You may think it is harmless, but it CAN stop your heart at high doses. There are not a ton of recorded cases because they never tested people for it in the past, but it is very dangerous.

Wow, I never considered this... You're probably right. Way more people have died from lopermaide over the years then is actually known. It was a secret passed from junkie to junkie for quite some time. It wasn't until awhile back that it became known on the internet, and wasn't until recently that it became even more well known. To make matters worse, lopermaide dangers weren't being advertised until quite recently... Many people still don't know.

-------------------------

For anyone who knows:

How helpful are small doses, like say 10mg or so? I'm sure it helps with the diarrhea... Would a "small" 10mg dose help with any of the other withdrawal symptoms or is that too low to be of much help?

Edited to add (I can't edit on mobile as it always just deletes the post instead, so apologies for the double post):

Junebug, I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend passing.

Recommended-range low doses of loperamide certainly do help with the diarrhea, yes. And they're quite safe too.

Recommended-range low doses of loperamide certainly do help with the diarrhea, yes. And they're quite safe too.

I figured. What I'm asking: Is there any relief from any of the other withdrawal symptoms from these doses... Or would any relief (besides the relief from diarrhea) be so minor it's irrelevant?

I don't think it would cause relief of the withdrawal symptoms other than diarrhea, unfortunately.

That's pretty much what I thought but hoped otherwise. Thank you Xorkoth.

I was hoping that since it can help with diarrhea that it might also help slightly with other physical symptoms like nausea, stomach pain, chills, etc but I guess a high enough dose must be taken for that, which we have established is not safe. Oh well.

I don't think it would cause relief of the withdrawal symptoms other than diarrhea, unfortunately.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. Personal experience, currently ending my w/d's and I've survived it with lope. Tolerance wasn't too high when I stopped as I tapered down, did my research and found 6-8mg was enough to sastify my RLS and let me sleep. didnt have any issues with it, although I never took over 10mg.

You have no good reason to taper off of lope. This is a placebo In itself, you can go cold turkey. Lol.cheers man

Not true in all cases, but for that low of a dose it is true. If you take high doses of lope for long enough it indeed does cause dependence. Loperamide is absolutely not placebo, to suggest it is is to tell everyone who has been able to consistently use it for withdrawal relief that they're imagining things.

Oh, I think actually he meant he tapered down opiates before starting loperamide.