Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Loperamide (30 mg) - Experienced - Treatment of opiate withdrawal symptoms

DragonFly31

Bluelighter
I have been attempting to stop taking Buprenorphine in the last few weeks. I had used 4 - 8 mg of Buprenorphine daily for about a year, and started intentionally decreasing this dose for about one week to 2 mg of Buprenorphine per day to prepare for a complete and lasting abstinence from that drug (or any other).

Once I was out of Bupe, I believed for a few days that everything would turn out fine and that I would not experience withdrawal symptoms through the taper.

How wrong I was - on day three of abstinence, the withdrawal symptoms hit me hard, and I found I could not function normally at all. This lasted well into day 10, and these were extremely uncomfortable days - and nights, turning and sweating. Physical activity of any kind was excruciating.

I decided to research possible alternatives and found that Loperamide could be an off-label solution, but a highly dangerous one as it is associated with cardiopathy and cardiac arrhythmia leading to death. My internet research has found that people have taken as much as 400 mg regularly and lived to tell the tale; but I had no plans to test this amount. Maximum recommend dosage is 8mg per day usually.

I started out by taking 24 mg, but found no improvement of my symptoms.

After waiting 3 days I renewed the experience at 30 mg, and was very surprised to feel complete and total alleviation of withdrawal symptoms, although there was no high to speak of.

Although a dangerous drug in high doses, loperamide is an OTC medication that is easily available everywhere.

My experience shows that Loperamide is able to alleviate withdrawal symptoms in about one hour after 30mg has been taken, on a person with very low or non-existent opiate tolerance.

I hope that 30 mg is not enough to do any damage, and although I felt fine after the experience, I cannot ascertain for sure that there is no risk!

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_loperamide
substancecode_opiates
explevel_experienced
exptype_positive
exptype_addiction
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there, thanks for sharing. :) Loperamide does not appear to be dangerous in doses under 100mg, though I still would say to avoid taking it for any length of time. However as a withdrawal aid, it is very useful. It has trouble crossing the blood brain barrier but acts peripherally and dramatically improves the physical symptoms of withdrawal. It's safe to take for a short time, even daily, in the doses you're using, but it will produce its own dependence eventually, so I always say to limit it to not more than a week in a row to avoid that. I've used it a number of times to help get through withdrawal.

Good luck staying off buprenorphine. (y)

Loperamide does not appear to be dangerous in doses under 100mg, though I still would say to avoid taking it for any length of time.

Part of the reason I made this trip report is that I found it very difficult to find reliable information on the acceptable range of dosage for Loperamide to treat W/D symptoms. Erowid doesn't want to touch this; it's too controversial for them, I guess.

I was not aware of this 100 mg threshold; I would also say that the 30 mg I took "felt" just right; if I had taken any more, I'm not sure that I would have had a good night.

There was an immense change in effect between 24 mg and 30 mg, suggesting that much care needs to be taken with regard to this compound.

I will certainly wait a few days before repeating this experience, and only if necessary. The half-life of Loperamide appears to be about 10 hours, thus I expect at least a day or two of effect on the W/D symptoms. (Buprenorphine has a half-life that is at least twice as long).

Many thanks for your advice and encouragement ;)

The 100mg threshold is a number ( got from discussion here on Bluelight, some educated and knowledgeable people have told me that in their research that was the amount to look out for. So take it with at least one grain of salt, since I have not done my own research to arrive at that number. That being said, I dislike how loperamide even at 30-40mg makes me feel (besides the withdrawal relief I mean, which is amazing when you're withdrawing), it dries out my insides more than any other opioid I've tried and causes esophagus pain sometimes, which scares me since it feels like heart pain, but drinking milk with solve it for a little while. And I get esophagus pain occasionally as it is, I believe I caused minor damage to it from swallowing something too large once, and/or acid reflux. Besides that aspect though, loperamide makes me feel lethargic and just a little off. And taking it for more than a week at that dosage made me feel consistently worse.

And yeah it works for at least a full 24 hours against withdrawal, and helps but less so for even longer.

Finally! Someone made a thread about this..lope+either gabapentin or pregabalin and if u can get clonidine are the absolute trifecta for lowering the symptoms of the acute stage of opioid wds. I've been doing this for years, this is how I quit a serious 200mg morphine IV habit. Thanks for sharing this! 💜

What is the lowest effective dose of loperamide people find to help with withdrawal? I see doses all over the place and am interested in finding something akin to an ED50...

I find 30mg will do it for me, or 40mg if my habit is higher. Some report much higher and some report lower. it does seem to be all over the place.

How long does the relief last? Long enough to get a couple of hours sleep? 5 days of Wd’s from bupe and my restlessness is still torture!

How long does the relief last? Long enough to get a couple of hours sleep? 5 days of Wd’s from bupe and my restlessness is still torture!
24 hrs, combine it with gaba and Lyrica for even more relief. Even with both drugs it doesn't get rid completely of all symptoms. It's a huge relief compared to going cold turkey ,at least 60% of all the wds decrease in intensity.

24 hrs, combine it with gaba and Lyrica for even more relief. Even with both drugs it doesn't get rid completely of all symptoms. It's a huge relief compared to going cold turkey ,at least 60% of all the wds decrease in intensity.
I can get a hold of Imodium no bother, but the rest isn’t likely. I’m back on a 12 hour night shift tomorrow so the past 3 days with no sleep is going to kill me…

Take 30mg lope it will take like 4 hrs at least to take full effect, gets rid off the sweats, regulates ur temperature a bit, also decreases the RLS. If you add gabapentin stacking up the pills 300 mg ea hr until you reach 900-1500mg. Until you reach even more relief. If you have can get clonazepam ud definitively get some rest for a bit.