• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Looking For The Right Strain (MMJ)

Not sure what strains fight pain the best; but I must say that edibles seem (to me) to have the strongest physical impact of all the ROAs available to Cannabis users. I would strongly advise edibles for pain.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/marijuana-strains-like-og-kush-are-meaningless-expert-says-4173909

Dixichick have a look at this link as I think it may shed some light on the topic. Jeffery Raber is correct in his findings,it`s not even down to which strain,it`s more to do with the way the plant is grown and harvested,all Cannabis/Marijuana have the same ingredients in,but in varying degrees.

If you want to get high as well as finding relief then I would say go for an Indica like Kush,or what is named as OG Kush,but if you do not want to experience the high or psychoactive effects then get yourself some good CBD oil,CBD oil has the benefits of being more of a medicine in that it doesn`t get you high but gives medical relief from many ailments,if you go for this option then always find a good source.

I hope this helps :)

Oh and as Blind Melon states,edibles have a longer duration of effects so give a more consistency,be careful though as they take longer to work so some people have been known to eat more then get way too high and have bad side effects like anxiety and paranoia.

^yes, but what the strain will do is predisposed genetically. What you quoted about CBD getting higher the longer you let it grow is not correct.

Dixi, check out CBD Crew. They are a European seed company that specializes in CBD-rich strains. Their CBD Critical Mass is quite good, I participated in a group that won a Cup with it.

^Yes, please don't spread misinformation. The article is correct in that cannabis strain names are not the be-all-end-all of what effects they are going to have, and that there is not any standardization of how strains are labeled so it can be a bit of a crapshoot, especially with very popular names like OG Kush or Diesel that have endless variations. To say that differences between strains have nothing to do with genetics is absurd though. There's going to be a huge difference between say a high-CBD/low-THC strain and a strong high-THC sativa, and that is because of genetics. Letting a plant flower for a longer time is going to change the chemical makeup in terms of cannabinoid balance (by THC turning into CBN, not CBD), but there is a lot more than that that is accounted for because of genetic differences.

Its not misinformation,yes CBN is sedating just like CBD,if you look at this link it tells you about harvesting and the way the trichomes develop,this applies to all Cannabis regardless of strain.

http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/growweedeasy.com/files/when-to-harvest-cannabis-diagram.jpg

Obviously certain strains have genetics that have been nurtured to produce higher concentrations of different alkaloids to give them certain characteristics,but the rule of thumb is that they all do the same thing at certain times of flowering,just some have more CBN/CBD than THC and the other way round,so if you get the timing right you can get the right kind of high/medicine you want.

Last edited:
Obviously certain strains have genetics that have been nurtured to produce higher concentrations of different alkaloids to give them certain characteristics,but the rule of thumb is that they all do the same thing at certain times of flowering,just some have more CBN/CBD than THC and the other way round,so if you get the timing right you can get the right kind of high/medicine you want.

Just because you said it again doesn't make it true.

Do you have medical marijuana where you live?

I've met Jeff Raber.

Saying that CBD increases the longer you flower is misinformation though, because it's not true. Implying that CBD and CBN have the same effect is also not true.

The point I'm trying to make though is that if you were to theoretically smoke a sample of say Green Crack, Bubba Kush, and Charlotte's Web that were all harvested with the exact same ratio of clear/cloudy/amber thrichomes, they would have very different effects. Yes you can majorly alter the effects by how you choose to grow, harvest, cure, etc. but genetics play a much more key role in determining the character of your final product.

There's also the differences beside cannabinoid profiles that genetics determine, like terpenes. There's no way to grow a Jillybean to smell like Kush.

edit: but this debate's not really anything you need to worry about Dixichik. Glad you'll be trying Harlequin I think it could help a lot :)

Last edited:
No alkaloids that I know of in cannabis that have an effect on cognition. This is one of the very unique traits of cannabis, cannabinoids and terpenes are not alkaloids, they contain no nitrogen atom (amine group). This is very unique among psychoactive compounds and medications in general. It's also why cannabinoids & terpenes are insoluble in water and cannot be crystallized & crashed out of organic solvents with an aciid, e.g. to form a salt that is polar and thus water soluble.

The time of harvest and way the cannabis is grown do have an effect on CBD levels, and indicas tend to favour higher (note: higher, not 'high') CBD levels... but unless the strain you are growing has special high CBD genetics it's very unlikely you will get a strain with more than 4% CBD, which is what is considered 'CBD rich'. Examples of such strains would be those from CBD Crew, and stuff like Cannatonic, Harlequin, Sour Tsunami. So yeah you can increase the CBD in your crop by controlling harvest time, grow type, choosing indica, but it's unlikely you'll get enough CBD to actually feel the real benefits of it when consumed. It needs to be in the genetics.

^ Do you know anything more specifically about how to get the highest CBD content in terms of when you harvest? I've not seen much on this subject, but what I have read said it was better to harvest earlier. I wonder if CBD converts into CBN the same way THC does, or if there is some other process for it.

:\ Update: Tried God Bud...It could be okay.

Haven't tried the Cat Piss Romulan yet.

You just can't make this shit up...My dentist along with his wife and 4 others were killed in a private plane crash a little over a week ago. They were returning from a dentists' conference in Florida. Our community has buried a total of 6 friends under the age of 40. Saddest part is that 11 young children were orphaned instantly.

My husband and I returned from the 6th (yep) funeral today. Is there a strain for utter heartbreak and sadness, as another friend is arranging for hospice and pre-arranging his own cremation?

I know the answer to that ^ question.

effie...I'm waiting for the Harlequin, and I AM going to get to try MediBud next month!

Y'all keep talking. I'm listening. :)