• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Harm Reduction Looking for info on ' forced treatment' in Portugal.

Landrew

Bluelighter
Im in Canada where there is a strong movement among conservatives to bring in mandatory treatment laws, and it is very common in their propaganda to claim forced treatment is a key part of Portugal's success.

From the info I can find it is obvious Portugal is not as aggressive on this as the conservative propaganda makes it sound, but I cant find any real clear and detailed facts.

Anyone here from Portugal or have clear info on this issue?

All you need to know is into the 30/2000 portu law of 29th of November. Google l"ei 30/2000 29-Novembro" and tranalate it

I can't read it now as I am busy, but it basically means that in Portugal (also Spain) drugs are not illegal to have and do at home but you can't carry them on the street. If you do you won't be legally prosecuted but administratively fined. If you undego drug treatment, they won't fine you. That have changed at least in Spain, now if they fine you, you have to pay no matter what

Have been reading it a bit. I got shoked when I did read the 17 article, "other sanctions":
17a) prohibition of professions and activities
17b) interdiction of frequencies in certain places
17c) prohibition of accompaying, housing or receiving certain people .

What the actual fuck?? How can they jeopardize your (and maybe your family's) income source, if it is legal? How can they prevent you from going to wherever you fancy or hosting whoever you want at your place??
How Portugal is seen as a very liberal country is something that allways amazed me and it comes to show what kind of medieval dungeons most countries in the world actually are.
Prohibition is fucking primitive.
Btw, OP, the amounts of money of the fines quoted in article 16 are referred to escudos, former portu currency. It said it can range from 5000 escudos (30$) to the minimum monthly national salary, like 900$ nowadays.

In Portugal if you do drugs in public you can be forced into treatment. Otherwise, treatment is offered as an alternative to paying a fine if you are caught possessing drugs in public.

it does mention public use vs private would be considered but gives no such specific response I can see in the tranlated document.

Where did you hear this?

Last edited: