Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Looking for a substance to alternate with MDMA

cosmosmariner

Bluelighter
Dear B-Lers:

I love MDMA. Can't hardly wait the two to three months in between.

Question: is there a substance that I could use in between rolls that would, A) not be cross tolerant with MDMA, B) not interfere with my recovery from MDMA use, and C) be a similar empathogenic/entactogenic experience.

I'm searching for the perfect regimen of MDMA every three months and MAGIC SUBSTANCE X every three months, so that I have some amazing evening every month and half.

Any thoughts?

Cos

some research chems i've tried were very similar to MDMA.. maybe you could look into those?

I don't believe you need 3 months, so I'd just recommend taking it once every 2 months instead. If you're keeping doses relatively low, it really doesn't require 3 months just to recover. Perhaps if you wanted the best possible experience ever then 3 months is necessary, but just recovery is OTT, in my opinion.

2cb is very empathogenic and euphoric. But its definitely not as laid back or relaxing or comfortable as MDMA both mentally and physically speaking.

Closest thing to the comfort and relief that mdma brings is a good opiate high but thats only in the physical department, but thats more problems than its worth.

Unfortunately there is just no substitute for mdxx drugs and the other thing that sucks is that they don't work if you do them everyweekend. I guess thats part of what makes them so special

how about DMT? Once a month DMT is definitely something to look forwards to.

Edit: Or ketamine? gotta have your ups and downs.

Thanks, everybody. Good recommendations.

I've thought about some MDMA-like RCs, but my understanding is that they will interfere with my recovery time. the MABPs, which have been touted to be like MDMA, will agonize the same receptors, right? They'll most likely create tolerance for MDMA, yes?

As for the tryptamines, I don't know if say, shrooms, or DMT, LSD or mescaline will have any cross-tolerance. Any know this?

I don't know much about Ketamine. I'll have to find a good ketamine thread here and look into it.

Thanks, everybody. Good recommendations.

I've thought about some MDMA-like RCs, but my understanding is that they will interfere with my recovery time. the MABPs, which have been touted to be like MDMA, will agonize the same receptors, right? They'll most likely create tolerance for MDMA, yes?

As for the tryptamines, I don't know if say, shrooms, or DMT, LSD or mescaline will have any cross-tolerance. Any know this?

I don't know much about Ketamine. I'll have to find a good ketamine thread here and look into it.

I think you're reading into it all a bit too much. Some drugs will be cross-tolerant, but it's unlikely that they'll take the 'magic' away from MDMA.

JWills20 : do you do any other drugs besides mdma at all? alcohol/weed even? how often if so. i'm just wondering because after reading some of you're replies here about you've been doing mdma once a month for over 2 years and feel no negative effects (like myself) . i do get drunk from time to time but my hangovers from alcohol can lasts for days. it seems like this got worse after i started using mdma (or maybe just because i'm getting older. who knows) .... it's festival season soon and i'm actually looking for an alternatives drugs to do besides alcohol. as i will ofcourse only roll 1 for one day. it doesn't get any easier when i know some of my friends will roll more days(despite i tell them not to) it would be so much easier to control myself if i had another drug to do at the event. i have tried coke several times and i guess it's okay (i haven't tried anything else besides weed. and i don't even like that) ... is it "safe" to do some coke the day before/after mdma? i guess i'm a bit in the same position as the OP. but this is only for a festival or two this summer.

Any drug that produces similar effects to MDMA is likely to have a similar after-effects/side-effects profile to MDMA & some, such as 5-mapb, could bring far more serious long-term consequences than would MDMA use.

Consider using relatively new Research Chemicals such as the APB & related drugs very carefully, & try to stick with something like amphetamines (speed) or perhaps Methylone or 4-fa. Methylone might be an RC but it's been arond a long time & it's dangers & risks are well known & doen't appear worse than MDMA. 4-fa should be treated a little more carefully as the jury is still out on possible longer term risks.

You are pretty safe doing MDMA in controlled doses every 6 weeks or two months in my opinion, so long as you have a nice, long 3 months break every year or two.

JWills20 : do you do any other drugs besides mdma at all? alcohol/weed even? how often if so. i'm just wondering because after reading some of you're replies here about you've been doing mdma once a month for over 2 years and feel no negative effects (like myself) . i do get drunk from time to time but my hangovers from alcohol can lasts for days. it seems like this got worse after i started using mdma (or maybe just because i'm getting older. who knows) .... it's festival season soon and i'm actually looking for an alternatives drugs to do besides alcohol. as i will ofcourse only roll 1 for one day. it doesn't get any easier when i know some of my friends will roll more days(despite i tell them not to) it would be so much easier to control myself if i had another drug to do at the event. i have tried coke several times and i guess it's okay (i haven't tried anything else besides weed. and i don't even like that) ... is it "safe" to do some coke the day before/after mdma? i guess i'm a bit in the same position as the OP. but this is only for a festival or two this summer.

Alcohol occassionally, perhaps once or twice a month, but like yourself the hangovers are killer. Had my stint with weed, don't like it, so haven't smoked it in over a year. I drink caffeine everyday, and take adderall/vyvanse once a week.

Yes coke a day before or after MDMA is fine. Just not during.

Question: is there a substance that I could use in between rolls that would, A) not be cross tolerant with MDMA, B) not interfere with my recovery from MDMA use, and C) be a similar empathogenic/entactogenic experience.

i guess you won't find such a thing. if it has entactogen effects like mdma, then it's going to have a similar mechnism of action and not fit your points A and B. the closest is probably 2C-B, but it's more a psychedelic than an entactogen for sure. if your simply looking for something magical that's not necessarily an empathogen a(/any) psychedelic might fit. but if you're looking for a party drug, then why not do the classic partygoer regimen with amphetamine for "everyday" parties and mdma for special occassions.

So you are asking for the magic drug, that does everthing like mdma....... but healthier. If it would be out there, there would be some very rich rc vendors sitting in prision.
Its like asking to find some opioide, that can be used every day without becoming addicted.

I just made a post on this issue in another thread:

LSD and MDMA both act on a part of the central nervous system (CNS) called the serotonin system, which as you might expect deals with the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is involved in a variety of bodily functions, from sleep and appetite to joy and human connections. Drugs like LSD and MDMA alter the serotonin system, and that's part of how they change the way we feel. Such drugs are called "serotonergic drugs" and the effects that they share in common (heightened energy, emotional connectedness, enhanced senses, etc. ) are called "serotonergic effects."

LSD and MDMA have different serotonergic effects because they act on the serotonin system in different ways. LSD causes the CNS to release more serotonin, making us happier and more energetic, among other things. MDMA, on the other hand, causes the CNS to empty it's serotonin reserves, literally flooding the brain with serotonin. That's why MDMA's serotonergic/entactogenic effects are much more dramatic, but it's also why we can't take MDMA as frequently - when you use up reserve serotonin faster than it can be recovered, bad things start to happen.

As far as I know, any drug that achieves an effect similar to MDMA's must also be a serotonin releasing agent. That means squeezing Methylone or 6-APB doses between your normal MDMA doses is going to be just as bad as taking MDMA twice as often. They're all just using up serotonin.

TL;DR: Even if you find a good MDMA substitute, you can't roll more often because you're still just using up serotonin.

P.S: I have to add another +1 to Azure Cloud's sentiment. You should really be on the lookout for friends you can strongly connect with, without using drugs. It's hard work and such people aren't common, but it's worth the effort.

Last edited:
^^^ could you provide any references/sources for the below claim (not that I'm suggesting you're wrong; I'm legitimately intrigued and haven't heard it before):

...LSD causes the CNS to produce more serotonin...

So you are asking for the magic drug, that does everthing like mdma....... but healthier. If it would be out there, there would be some very rich rc vendors sitting in prision.
Its like asking to find some opioide, that can be used every day without becoming addicted.

Of course, I know you are right. : ( It sounds like my problem here is that I want entactogenesis, which is serotonergic. Therefore, anything that produces the effect is going to still be a problem. You guys are smart.

Still I got a few good ideas here, I think. Ketamine, Amphetamine, and psychedelics.

I heard the comment about methylone and 4-fa that St. Ingwe suggested. Have never tried either. I was thinking of methylone as an MDMA analogue, so it would interfere with my MDMA recovery. I'll have to look into 4-fa (what is the mechanism?)

My thought would be to do MDMA in month one. Spend the next six weeks enjoying outdoors, loved ones, art, and charity.

Then I'd do say, shrooms in month 2.5. Spend the next six weeks enjoying outdoors, loved ones, art, and charity.

Then I'm back to MDMA on month 3.

Cos

but if you're looking for a party drug, then why not do the classic partygoer regimen with amphetamine for "everyday" parties and mdma for special occassions.

this is what i was gonna say. what do you think about simply replacing it with a regular stimulant?

You can definitely do MDMA once a month safely. Get some good supplements (vitamin C, greens/superfoods, 5-HTP, etc.), never overdose (2 pills or 200mg max), and don't mix with anything other than weed, a SAFE amount of alcohol (varies for everyone, but no way I'd do more than 3-4 drinks), and some benzos (helpful for M comedowns or random bad trips).

As far as similar chems.. well, like others said, they're just going to pose the same problem lol. But if you want to mix it up, I would say AMT is your best bet. Shrooms/LSD are in a different class, definitely don't expect the same trip from them. I have no experience with mescaline, but I've heard good things.

And, to come at this from a different angle.. what I've found has helped me be less of a fiend for my precious M/AMT haha.. is this bulletproof coffee craze, as well as Modafinil. Look 'em up. Just a lot more energy, focus, and happiness in general in my life. Obviously not the euphoria like with M... but you're not supposed to get that feeling in everyday life lol.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Drew. I hope to find the perfect combo for me. Life is great. I'm just trying to tweak it a bit. : )

And with your suggestions, I just might.