• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Looking Deeper at The “Candyflip”

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
I think we can all agree the combination of MDMA and LSD, also known as the “candyflip” is something special. It was the first combo of MDMA with another drug to be named in such a way, and despite MDMA’s ability to combine with most drugs well, it’s relationship with LSD is unique and highly synergistic.

In this thread I’d like to look deeper as to why these two get along so well. Let’s jump right in.

I’ll begin with this article. As we know oxytocin is an integral part of the MDMA/roll experience. While it is argued to what extent oxytocin plays a role in its pro-social effects, it can’t be denied that there is likely at least some effect. From my research, oxytocin levels don’t significantly increase until a threshold has been passed on dosage.

LSD also has some effect on oxytocin levels, albeit less pronounced. In this article we see a modest oxytocin increase with 200ug LSD but what’s interesting is how long it lasts, 8hrs later levels are still tapering off.

Next an article looking at MDMA oxytocin plasma levels. We see hardly any increase from placebo at .75mg/kg but nearly a 4x increase with 1.5mg/kg MDMA. We also see peak levels occur around 90-120min and fall to half those levels by 240min.

These oxytocin plasma levels correlate well with MDMA’s effects graph. One more article for good measure on that front.

This next article shows there’s a connection between serotonin and oxytocin when it comes to social reward.

Why this article is important is the specific mention of 5-ht1b as being important for the social reward aspect to occur.

Let’s look at this lesser know 5-ht1 subtype. When we search the Wikipedia for ligands I see only one agonist which looks familiar. Ergotamine, which just so happens to be closely related to LSD.

In the online book “50yrs of LSD” we see LSD has a nanomolar affinity for 5-ht1b, (12 nmol) as well as 5-ht1a (.74 nmol) another subtype known for having downstream oxytocin effect.

In this article we see a possible connection of MDMA’s pro social effects 5-ht1a and subsequent oxytocin release.

LSD’s action at 5-ht1a and b is important because while MDMA also hits on these, it’s very likely it doesn’t hit them with nearly the same affinity as LSD.

In this article we see 5-ht1 receptors are on the lower end when it comes to comparing to the affinity of other receptors.

Next an article going over serotonin syndrome induce by MDMA via 5-ht1a and 2a. In this article they claim these receptor sites are agonized by the flood of serotonin.

“Many drugs, including MDMA, can easily increase 5-HT to the nanomolar concentrations that activates both synaptic and extrasynaptic 5-HT1Areceptors..”

And to finally wrap this all up.. Two articles. One showing LSD is potentiated by fluoxetine an SSRI. (MDMA also inhibits serotonin reuptake.)

Then the icing on the cake, an article showing MDMA combined with LSD “synergized to produce a maximal MDMA-like response.”

TL:DR- MDMA and LSD potentiate each other via various mechanisms. In this case of LSD potentiating MDMA, this likely occurs through the agonism of 5-ht1a, 1b, and 2a. 5-ht1b mediates oxytocin mediated social reward, of which LSD happens to have potent nanomolar affinity. MDMA might possibly increase LSD’s effects via its serotonin reuptake inhibition.

In the next post I’d like to try my best to compare the pharmacological profiles of LSD to other close psychedelics to better understand why it synergizes so well with MDMA.

-GC

Well I found my article comparing psychedelic pharmacological profiles…

As I suspected LSD beats all in the 5-ht1b category. Game, set and match.

-GC

Great post. I've suspected that interactions between oxytocin and other signaling systems are necessary for MDMA's pro-social effects, as oxytocin antagonists in isolation have no effect on social behavior. So perhaps oxytocin+5-HT1B is the relevant interaction. Although there's some averaged binding affinities for LSD on Wikipedia and it suggest that 5-HT1B is unlikely to play a significant role in LSD's effects.

Btw, the finding that oxytocin antagonists alone don't affect social behaviors comes from one of the papers ("A role for oxytocin and 5-HT1A...") you linked. They also found that 5-HT1A drives the oxytocin release, so it seems like LSD could drive further oxytocin release.

Am I the only one that finds this paper a little sketchy? They suggest a number of compounds (e.g. mescaline, TMA, DiPT, 5-MeO-DIPT) don't bind to 5-HT2A, but this is clearly wrong and this is backed up by binding assays in other papers+behavioral studies. The functional activity data they provided makes absolutely no sense either.

Great post. I've suspected that interactions between oxytocin and other signaling systems are necessary for MDMA's pro-social effects, as oxytocin antagonists in isolation have no effect on social behavior. So perhaps oxytocin+5-HT1B is the relevant interaction. Although there's some averaged binding affinities for LSD on Wikipedia and it suggest that 5-HT1B is unlikely to play a significant role in LSD's effects.

Btw, the finding that oxytocin antagonists alone don't affect social behaviors comes from one of the papers ("A role for oxytocin and 5-HT1A...") you linked. They also found that 5-HT1A drives the oxytocin release, so it seems like LSD could drive further oxytocin release.

Am I the only one that finds this paper a little sketchy? They suggest a number of compounds (e.g. mescaline, TMA, DiPT, 5-MeO-DIPT) don't bind to 5-HT2A, but this is clearly wrong and this is backed up by binding assays in other papers+behavioral studies. The functional activity data they provided makes absolutely no sense either.

Yea the more I look at it the more I don’t like it either… Regardless of that paper, it seems based on the information I found elsewhere that LSD has higher affinity to 5-ht1b then most.

5-ht1b may not contribute MUCH to the effects of LSD alone but in combination with MDMA I theorize it’s affinity for that receptor site that brings the magic.

I’ll get back with more later!

-GC

Wait .. are you talking about 'the american candyflip (lsd first)' or the european 'candy flip (mdma first)',
this has pharmacologically wise namely some differences ..

I remember mdma was helpful with unwanted acid sequelae. Mdma & LSD go together! Mdma + ketamine, even better.

Wait .. are you talking about 'the american candyflip (lsd first)' or the european 'candy flip (mdma first)',
this has pharmacologically wise namely some differences ..

Ah interesting question and never knew those differences in timing were geologically influenced. I’m American but do it more or less the European way. (I use at the same time or one hour earlier with the LSD.)

Unfortunately we don’t know enough of these connections to say how timing effects things. I wish I knew..

-GC

all i have to say about candy- or hippieflipping is that i find it useless. tried it once, felt totally confused and had 0 fun or spiritual insight. nothing for me.