View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Looked down on for DMT interest.

Mindaltered

Greenlighter
I'm not the kind of idevidual who care what people think about me. But I need a little advice. My girlfriend is completely against the use of DMT. I absolutely respect her opinion, but she does not like my passionate interest in it.
She read one article off huffington post that made it sound like the worst thing for you. Any advice on how I can introduce the positives of it to her. She won't stop saying how I don't need drugs to live and feel alive. Well to me it's more than that. It's not a need, urge, want, etc. it's far more, its a part of who I am. Psychedelics are safe and honestly to me, will expand your conscious mind. I only see a positives, of course with at least baseline knowledge, proper set and setting, a positive attitude,and self control.

Well let's look at a few positives of DMT:
- it's not as toxic to your body or mind as smoking weed
- it's naturally found in the brain and is produced literally every day, unlike any other "recreational" drug
- it's used throughout native cultures not as a drug, but as a medicine to allow people to overcome addiction or help them make better choices in their life
- it's used by other animals such as jaguars
- it's been used for perhaps thousands of years with no negative effects ever discovered
- it's not addictive and it's not something people generally take just for fun
- it's not supposed to make you "feel alive" as it takes you to a totally different reality where there is no "alive"
- it's incredibly spiritual, very enlightening and can change your life for the better

Honestly the only reason I can think of to not take DMT is that you're scared of it, unless you're schizophrenic. Why abstain from a substance you're exposed to constantly anyway? Your girlfriend is wrong for looking at DMT (or pretty much any psychedelic for that matter) as a traditional drug.

Last edited:
Peoples ideas and perceptions change over time but you will have a hard time convincing a person their stance is wrong. You really need to wait for these ideas to develop naturally. The best thing you can do is respect her opinion use this time to do research and depending on who she is as a person she might lighten up about it. If you dont mind me asking how old you two are only because if your 18/20 then it is way more likely you two will grow together and her opinions are more likely to change and develop then say 25+ Relationships are largely a compromise this goes for the two of you. It is my opinion given that psychedelics are not prone to addiction or complicating situation like that you two should be able to come to a conclusion that satisfies both your desires and goals for life.

In my example my girlfriend of 5 years will allow me to do most things but she will not join in them. She is not the festival type I am in some ways we are two completely different people. We are also former heroin addicts so its a little different. But she will attend a grateful dead cover band to dance with me just as i will attend some of her more dark shows (she was a goth in HS so dark things are her style.) Even though it may not be what the other one truly wants to do we will go with each other because that is how relationships stay strong.

You need to respect her wishes just as she needs to respect yours. You also need to be smart when you bring this stuff up everyone responds based on their emotions you need to pick a time to bring it up when shes ready to hear it.

One more thing I'd like to add. When many experienced meditators go into altered states, it is highly suspected that DMT is produced. When you're developing in the womb, your brain is 100% symmetrical aside from the pineal gland, which is the only part of your brain that doesn't have two halves. It originally forms in the throat and leaves a small hole in the back of your throat when it migrates into the brain. When an experienced meditator visits an altered state, they frequently describe a plasticy-tasting liquid dripping down the back of their throat, called "the nectar of enlightenment", out of a small hole. It's described to taste exactly like DMT. DMT is an inherently spiritual and natural substance and is used by the holiest of us.

Ive not encountered the neurogenisis theory. Can you cite a source? Thanks

I think it's completely pointless. It's like trying to convince a tory to become labour. Opinions are like assholes - everybodys got one.

I dont subscribe to all of that "DMT plays an important role in birth/death" I am not claiming to know whether it does or does not but I think those claims are exaggerated just like any claim from either side when you can not produce enough information to support or discredit a theory. I think it plays a role for sure but is it in amounts required to be a true psychedelic experience in the end or beginning personally I doubt it. I also do not see that as relevant for the type of argument he and his S/O are having. If she is against it as a drug the fact that it is found naturally in our body's isnt going to win this one for him and may make her more against it (often times people are "afraid" of radical ideas and its likely to put her off)

I am not trying to down play the theory it deserves as much investigation as the way i feel. I just dont think it will help the OP if anything it will hurt his argument and make the users seem like they are obsessed with it and hold it to a holier then all light.

I think it's completely pointless. It's like trying to convince a tory to become labour. Opinions are like assholes - everybodys got one.

A strictly conservative to become a bleeding heart liberal for us Yankees or whatever you blokes call us on the other side of the pond ;)

^^And a source for the bit about jaguars taking dmt - i can't see how they'd make ayahuasca with their paws (or do they snort it? how do they manage this?)

Not only jaguars - there's some bollocks about snakes too - I vaugely remember Jeremy Narbers DMT book...says snakes look like a bit curvy like the DNA molecule so is seeing a snake on ayahuasca is your DNA trying to communicate with you.

Ive not encountered the neurogenisis theory. Can you cite a source? Thanks

Sorry, mistake on my part. I misread. It's actually ayahuasca that the source was referring to, and the MAOI's are suspected to play a much larger role in neurogenesis than the DMT. BUT psilocybin is widely known to promote neurogenesis and DMT is very closely related so it's also possible DMT plays a role. On top of this, sleep is incredibly important for the formation of new memories and I suspect DMT is probably one of several mechanisms in the reinforcement of memories.

^^And a source for the bit about jaguars taking dmt - i can't see how they'd make ayahuasca with their paws (or do they snort it? how do they manage this?)

check this video out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGDv0KCJl8
I think their metabolism just doesn't break it down like ours or something. (maybe they have an alternative mechanism to MAO's?)

Last edited:
Video's blocked, but i get the idea - cool thanks - but actually it's not DMT but harmaline it's getting off on according to the blurb of the video so it doesn't need any different metabolism. Still interesting.

I dont subscribe to all of that "DMT plays an important role in birth/death" I am not claiming to know whether it does or does not but I think those claims are exaggerated just like any claim from either side when you can not produce enough information to support or discredit a theory.

I agree. There is a very popular meme circulating throughout society that DMT is a cornerstone of birth/death and that it's a scientific fact, but people only need to read Rick Strassmans book The Spirit Molecule to know that he repeatedly states multiple times that this is just a theory of his. I'm not saying that CrypticArc said that by the way, because they didn't. But it's something I hear a lot.

In my experience dreams are absolutely nothing whatsoever like DMT, and death probably transcends any requirement for chemical receptors in a human brain.

I read somewhere that there's a confusion in the translation - the translators in the early days never quite figured out if "ayahuasca" meant the vine itself or the vine and the DMT leaf too. They simply didn't understand the subject and language well enough to work it out.

Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate the descriptive advice. Szuko, I am 20. 21 in July. She is also 20 and 21 soon. We're both a lot more mature than most our age. I've been married befor . Been in the military for 4 years. Been to combat. I've known her for 7 years but we've changed a lot in that time.

Yeah and also I agree with everything else yall are saying. Spirit molecule was my first read on DMT and I was all about what he said. But I've read so much more and watched videos and talked to so many different people that I just opened my mind to any ideas and take them into consideration.

There's a lot of pseudoscience out there about it, but at the end of the day it has been used for thousands of years and has a relatively good safety profile. It can also be a very interesting psychedelic that is different to others. As to your girlfriend not liking it, who cares? Don't bother convincing her about anything, you're entitled to your own interests in your own time.

And it's for this reason that I've decided to keep my interest in drugs a secret. I hadn't realized until recently that some people were committed to invalid views such as "one shouldn't used substances to feel more alive."