• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Look-alike Sound-alike Medication Praised by ER Physicians Everywhere

It sounded believable enough to me. ER doctors are assholes IME.

It's almost worrying, because this is a piece that has deliberately been written in such a way that the reader is meant to understand that it's not factual. If you believe this and not only interpret it as a serious article but actually believe it, what are the chances you'll pick up on inaccuracies and flaws in a piece the author actually wants you to believe is true? You can't believe everything you read (even if it does conveniently mesh with your existing worldview). One might conclude that this willingness to accept the most outlandish statements about something one already dislikes is the cause of things like the many preposterous theories about President Obama (is a Muslim/is not a US citizen by birth/is an alien Freemason) that are widely believed in the States ("sounded believable enough to me, Barack Hussein Obama is an asshole). Perhaps if people were just a little more skeptical and cautious about the things they believe and the conclusions they jump to, there might be less partisanship, the political system might be less broken, and people might be conducting themselves in an informed and enlightened manner.

I just read it here on BL not seeing it was from a blog site.

This is satire, not irony. Irony would mean the intended meaning is the opposite of how it reads. I don't see that in this article. So I guess by saying American's don't understand irony, you must be implying that you are American?

Edit: I'm not going to get into an argument about semantics...

The irony is that people were saying things like "Nobody's gonna fall for that pill" even while they were falling for the article.

Ahh. Yeah. (Note to self- read thread twice before posting:)) Still, pretty pathetic when something as outlandish as this actually seems plausible. Sigh...

No, no, irony refers to any case in which the intended and literal meanings of the text are disparate. For instance, one can have dramatic irony, in which the audience/reader is privy to information to which the characters are not. Parody and satire often employ ironic effects, as is the case here.
So I guess by saying American's don't understand irony, you must be implying that you are American?
Again, your understanding falls short. If I say that all "American's" don't understand irony, that doesn't necessitate that all people who don't understand irony are American. (c.f. all penguins are birds). Thanks for playing, better luck next time :p

I just read it here on BL not seeing it was from a blog site.
yeah me too.

It's almost worrying, because this is a piece that has deliberately been written in such a way that the reader is meant to understand that it's not factual. If you believe this and not only interpret it as a serious article but actually believe it, what are the chances you'll pick up on inaccuracies and flaws in a piece the author actually wants you to believe is true? You can't believe everything you read (even if it does conveniently mesh with your existing worldview). One might conclude that this willingness to accept the most outlandish statements about something one already dislikes is the cause of things like the many preposterous theories about President Obama (is a Muslim/is not a US citizen by birth/is an alien Freemason) that are widely believed in the States ("sounded believable enough to me, Barack Hussein Obama is an asshole). Perhaps if people were just a little more skeptical and cautious about the things they believe and the conclusions they jump to, there might be less partisanship, the political system might be less broken, and people might be conducting themselves in an informed and enlightened manner.

What do you mean Obama isnt muslim???

I missed that folks referring to the irony in the THREAD, rather than the article. While the article is satire, is lacks irony. Irony means it is trying to make a point opposite to what is being said (IE the aforementioned "A Modest Proposal" being a statement about looking down on the poor.) This article doesn't make a point- it's purely satire. I don't think the author was trying to convey a message. Irony tries to make a point, satire doesn't necessarily have a point other than humor.
This is a stupid discussion though and like I said, I'm not going to argue about the definition of irony. So I'm done with it...

i·ro·ny expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

satire (satʌɪə)
noun
the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

This whole prescription game is getting rediculous let the peolle have what they want and need for pain in any form.

My brother just finished a pharmacy tech class and said something about how the major conpanys can't be sued now over dangerous side effects.
Add this to poor quality medication like extended release and faulty clinical trials this is beyond wrong. Is ot really a surprise we seek self medication when the companies assigned only care about the money.

My brother just finished a pharmacy tech class and said something about how the major conpanys can't be sued now over dangerous side effects.
Add this to poor quality medication like extended release and faulty clinical trials this is beyond wrong.

If the FDA approved the medicine, the company is absolved of responsibility for that particular formulation. However, if they screw up the formula, they're still liable.

If the FDA approved the medicine, the company is absolved of responsibility for that particular formulation. However, if they screw up the formula, they're still liable.

Ahh thanks knew somwone would know what I was saying

Bro go put your hipster glasses on with no lenses and be ironic with your other hipster friends. WE are beyond your ridiculousness and have no more time for your silly comments.

That post wasn't ironic, that was totally in earnest. I don't really think it's fair to characterise me as ridiculous and silly for pointing out that an article was obviously not true, nor intended to be understood as such, to a bunch of people who were dense enough to be oblivious to that manifestly obvious fact. I don't have any hipster glasses with no lenses- I'm just, y'know, a reasonably intelligent and educated person who, like, understands concepts I was taught at school and stuff.

I loved your commentary.. since you lost your hipster glasses though.. i think you should go for these.. flip up stars and stripes.. yeah baby=D

shopping

I've noticed some people have "ouch, everything hurts!" type withdrawals from not having enough sugar.

The fact that sugar is being used as a drug and that the DEA/FDA/your-local-know-nothing-doctor are all embracing it is just a bit scary to me.

Eventually there will be more deaths due to heart disease and heart attack and diabetes and obesity, and the US will still be wondering what it is doing wrong :|

The shots of morphine I've received on occasion at the ER never did anything for me. Hm...

I've noticed some people have "ouch, everything hurts!" type withdrawals from not having enough sugar.

It's psychological. If you consume any sort of carbohydrates whatsoever (even if you don't), your body will still manufacture glucose and fructose, because you need that shit to live.

Sugar itself isn't terrible. It's the exclusion of everything else that's supposed to balance it out that's the main issue. In fact, glucose tablets & IV glucose have been around in medicine for... a long time. So has placebo.

Topamax is just a modified simple sugar...

When I found that out, I was extremely pissed seeing as how it costs a fortune!

Honestly, tho, anyone who got a push of dilly(or didn't) and mistook it for anything else would have to be daft, it's quite a unique feeling!