• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Long time smokers- how do you feel when not stoned?

I didn't read the whole thread but I smoked 20yra and stopped for over 6mths with no problems encept loss off appitite and a longing for a joint or two lol

cliffy78 why did you start smoking again? or why did you quit for 6 months?

I've been smoking for about 7 years, which isn't very long, but I'm only 21. Whenever I'm not stoned, I feel fine... unless it's for over 24 hours, then I get restless, anxious, slightly manic, I don't eat very much, and i'm generally a little irritable. These symptoms are usually managed by anxiolytic supplements like l-tyrosine, kava kava, and various others, but if i don't use them, I'm generally unpleasant when in cannabis WD.

I went from January 9th this year until July 22nd this year, not by choice.

Medical, and infrequently I would smoke 3,5g/day. Most times ,5 to 1,5g. Typically I would have smoked every evening weeknights and all day weekends. Use goes down in the summer month, and increases fall, winter and spring.

Very bad sleep disturbances that started immediately. I went from sleeping 4 hours straight at night down to no more than 2 hours at a time. That persisted until the day I restarted (194 days). I'm almost back to 4 hours straight after 10 1/2 days of smoking 2-3 times per day.

Within 3 weeks pf stopping in January, I noticed I had lost an unusual amount of weight (not severe, just statistically unusual for me). My overall food consumption has gone all over the map. Some days I eat lots, other days nothing more than coffee, diet coke. When I was hungry, I wouldn't pig out like before. I mean, I understand the munchies, but this was affecting my normal eating as well. No real difference in eating behavior when I started smoking again, but now I find I'm not getting the munchies or cottonmouth (yet).

My mood had worsened considerably by the end of January, and I had stopped taking my dogs for walks (thank God they have a big back yard). I was getting snippy with some people at work (they deserved it in my opinion) and overall just feeling very angry. 12 hours after smoking on the 22nd July it was like a switch had been flipped.

Joint immobility worsened almost weekly it seemed. The arthritis was definitely a bitch during this period. It has slowly improved.

So yeah, basically feeling like shit when I'm not smoking. Having a reduced quality of life.

Tom

This is the kind of message I was hoping to see. I use to get so mad that my ex always had to have weed around and I didn't ever understand how without it he was instant as*hole. Well, now that I'm 40 I understand. It makes him as normal as he will ever be.

If I was clinically depressed and weed made it better, idk that I would be trying to get away for it. Or that it would be a good idea for you to try. Cut back, and be in control of it instead of it being in control of you. That is one thing. To manage your usage. But, what if you have a chemical imbalance... Weed is going to be your best bet to combat it. Sure you can go on a number of pharmaceutical drugs, but their side effects are much worse than weed.

So, if you had to deal with your problem with a shrink and a few pills you would take those pills, what .. Once a day. See a shrink once a month. Well, smoke once a day and once a month take a day off and write about how you feel, what is going through your mind, in a few months or a year.. Re-check what you've wrote and re-evaluate your situation from there.

Here's the bottom line. If you are a benefit to society when you smoke, and not a positive person when you don't.. Whuch is better for the world, even just your world.

I thought your first post made a lot of sense.

When someone does nothing but live their life around weed (or anything, alcohol, sweets, cigarettes) its much different than living life WITH..

Point was taken even if someone needed to call you names. I'm sure more than just me appreciated your well intentioned and spoken point.

Although I have seen people who need weed more than a diabetic needs insaline (spelling is wrong I'm sure). And not to get 'high', just to be normal or bearable.

Long timer here. I uh, have tendencies to get overly anxious. My coping mechanism's have been dwindled down over the years. When something happens that I believe most would deal with without heart pangs or shakes, I tend to not.

Weed soothes me down and allows me to cope. It also has others medicinal effects that I cherish so.

If I do not have a toke in those moments, well, it's not good. I stay away from people. This is my life. I am soooo F__ thankful this plant exists.

Honestabe, thanks for the reply.

I'm not really trying to send a message, just curious of others experience. Looking back I realize I grew up "clinically depressed" and developed into a kind of bi-polar mania in my late teens and early 20's. It's hard to say if it was caused by my drug use, but it wasn't caused by it, it definitely made the up's and downs more extreme, of course I was abusing and using large amounts for a number of years. It's hard to sort out between side effects from drugs and myself sometimes.

I'm not clinically depressed, but I have never seen a physician about my depression either. I'm sure as you mentioned I could get prescribed a number of pharmaceuticals with a wide range of known and unknown side effects, but I would just continue to smoke weed before going down that road. Like you also say, moderation is the key but lately I wonder if I am capable of such moderation given my tendencies towards impulsive habits.

I'm a long timer, I've been smoking daily for 4-5 years with a few exceptions. As others who have posted in this thread I'm probably depressed and/or bipolar, but I've never sought a diagnosis from a physician. When I'm not stoned I feel very irritable and impatient. I also feel much less interested in anything when I'm sober - that's what keeps me smoking weed.
I guess these 'symptoms' would disappear after a while if I took a long tolerance break, but I'm not ready yet to take that step.

I'm a long timer, I've been smoking daily for 4-5 years with a few exceptions. As others who have posted in this thread I'm probably depressed and/or bipolar, but I've never sought a diagnosis from a physician. When I'm not stoned I feel very irritable and impatient. I also feel much less interested in anything when I'm sober - that's what keeps me smoking weed.
I guess these 'symptoms' would disappear after a while if I took a long tolerance break, but I'm not ready yet to take that step.

I was the same way. Smoking 5-7 grams of hash oil per day. It was so bad that I got cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome from smoking so much. Despite that, I continued to smoke because I always feared going off. Eventually not only was I vomiting after every smoke (10+ times per day), but I also started having severe auditory hallucinations, and paranoid delusions. I figured I was triggering latent schizophrenia in myself, and stopped by taking oxycodone/xanax for 10 days.

If I didn't take the opiates/benzos to quit weed, theres no way I could cold turkey it. I don't care what anyone says, weed is the most mentally addicting drug I've ever used. I know a lot of other life long stoners who say the same thing. I guess it's because some people smoke for fun, but I smoked to self medicate. When I'm dopesick, I just go through it and keep telling myself I'll never touch the dope again. When I would run out of weed, I would instantly go into fiend mode, and trade in some video games, or sell some cheap electronics to go buy an ounce.

I suffer from physical health problems so I spend most of my days in some kind of discomfort, whether it's pain or nausea or some combination of the two. Weed is one of my only slight respites from it. It helps with my anxiety and depression, too.