• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Long time smokers- how do you feel when not stoned?

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
I've been stoned pretty much the majority of my time, except sleeping, for the last 5 1/2 years. I've been wanting to cut back but when I'm not stoned I feel immensely depressed, unhappy, ready to fight, and a mix of other unpleasant emotions. The thing is I grew up suicidal/depressed from a very very young age. When I quit smoking I feel I just revert back to my childhood mindset of hating everything. I'm just wondering how much of that is the weed and how much of it is actually me. How do you other long time heavy smokers feel when you're not stoned?

i had a similar thing, i used weed to self medicate and escape depression and for a long time if i wasn't stoned (or had weed to know i could escape the pain at anytime) then i fucking hated life and all i could focus on was how to get weed, TV was boring, i couldnt get interested or focus on anything and i was really irritable. this is just a straight up dependency and while i don't know you personally your case sounds similar.

i solved this by giving breaks between getting stoned with increasing intervals. so id not smoke for half a day, then a day, then 2 and so on, at least for me after the first week or 2 i felt a new sense of pride since i was independent and not reliant on a plant for happiness. smoking also became alot more enjoyable since the reasons i smoked changed and the 'magic' returned. for example at the moment ive been sober for 3 weeks (the longest in years) and i feel fine, it makes you feel better when you know you provide your own happiness and you're life doesn't revolve around a plant, saying that i really wanna spliff, weeds so much fun :((((((

I've been stoned pretty much the majority of my time, except sleeping, for the last 5 1/2 years. I've been wanting to cut back but when I'm not stoned I feel immensely depressed, unhappy, ready to fight, and a mix of other unpleasant emotions. The thing is I grew up suicidal/depressed from a very very young age. When I quit smoking I feel I just revert back to my childhood mindset of hating everything. I'm just wondering how much of that is the weed and how much of it is actually me. How do you other long time heavy smokers feel when you're not stoned?

i feel you dude. not easy either west coast where everyone blazes and chronic is in your face 24/7 . im taking a break right now too. its good to know you are in control; which you are :) . the hardest are the first 3 days when you just want to INHALEEEEE. then you realize you can do it and it gradually actually gets better. hardest part is not overeating and depending on weed to relax lol!. you will def be on edge and jumpy; just recognize it and take deep breathes and chill :). a great part that helps me too is knowing we are not quitting; just taking a break so we can actually get HIGHER and feel BETTER!!! that is some real motivation <3 ;)

I'm pretty much always high....literally...people can say all they want but a "perma high" definitely exists and I'm pretty sure it's what I have. It's a more or less body high, with random bursts of euphoria (and by random, I mean really random, seems to be no rhyme or reason for it)

In my experience the novelty factor wears off pretty fast if I smoke everyday. Behavioral and pharmacodynamic tolerance build to the point where smoking is just the new normal and I don't see it as fun anymore.

Weed is a great band-aid solution for depression or boredom, but it's easy to become overdependent on it for those purposes. I personally find the occasional use of a nice recreational psychedelic to be much more therapeutic than smoking cannabis on a daily basis, but that's just me :)

fucking sucks. im going to rehab for up to a year after a week from now so i should get used to it although i smoked the last 4 days and tommorrow ill be smoking till my bed in detox opens. also on a cocktail of benzos and opiates to keep me good. wish i had more weeds tho.

i did find a grav rip of dank on the floor while taking a shit earlier lol that was a pleasent suprise

I haven't smoked cannabis in a good few weeks, but I always felt lazy and unmotivated when sober the next day or two following cannabis use.

I have smoked pretty much every day (or night) for 18 years, with a couple of month breaks in that time. I am now trying to cut down my use, more for the cancer risk than the dopiness.

I have generally found that smoking takes the edge off my naturally competitive nature, it also seems to relieve some of my frustration at the mundaneness (?) of work life routine. And of course it allows me to escape into an internal world when the music's on.

I have found a few things when I have tried stopping, firstly going to bed when not overtired is a must, if I leave it too late then all I can think about is having a spliff and chilling out, with associated feelings of temptation and some slight self hate at my lack of self control.

Secondly I have to find a substitute for smoking. The easiest is booze but this is really no solution, if anything its a move for the worse. I have found the best substitute to be exercise, most specifically some team sports and cycling, as they are easy to get into even if I'm feeling a bit low; it not only makes me sleep better but the exercise high is some kind of substitute for just getting high.

Finally, and perhaps most controversially, is to set myself some goals that are more easily achieved when not stoned. Whether this is sport again or something work or hobby related doesn't really matter, it is just having something else to fixate on (positively!) that I need.

When I have managed to stop for a while it has been by going away somewhere for a week or two where I am distracted by the change in circumstances enough to not focus on stonedness for a while!

Euh...

I don't smoke. actually i've quit the habit in 2007 as i recall...

:p

My cannabis use cut down a lot around 3 or 4 months ago after first trying MDMA, I started to try different drugs.

As far as mind altering substances go, so far I have tried:

Alcohol
Cannabis (of course), in plant, hashish, and extract form.
MDMA
Amphetamine Sulphate (Speed)
DMT
LSD
LSA (HBWR)
Shrooms
Ketamine

I have enjoyed all of these with the exception of Ketamine.

I am planning to try:

2c-b, and probably a few 2c derivatives.
25i-NBOMe
M-Kat (methedrone), probably only once, though.
4-ACO-DMT
5-MEO-DMT (IF I can get it, it's very, very rare)
Mescaline

I am undecided about:
Cocaine
Salvia extract

I have considered, but decided against:
Opium jelly. I have now said no to this, opioids are definitely not something I want to risk getting into.

I can't eat, I have rapid mood swings (I'm bipolar), I can't sleep, every thing pisses me off and I NEED more weed.

Hey Mafioso - I realise actually I hadn't really answered your question very much.

When I stopped smoking I find that a lot of repressed emotions bubble up. They can be overwhelming and when I have gone 'cold turkey' at a bad time have left me only just able to cope with the resulting anxiety. My advice above tho still stands!

Dear Mafiosa,

Personally I get rather anxious when my 'green' runs out; Sometimes, nearly panic. I know that without my mood swings will return and the anger management issues will once again reign.. Which is why I do my best to always have something around. I bake with the butter and find this levels off any up's and down's; still, when I do take a break, it's really tough.
Made a choice long ago to keep it in my life because the alternative, well, is just not good for me. When one see's red often, 'green' is a most welcome tone.

I have been a daily user of cannabis for more than twenty years, using for about 99% of days in that time. For the last two-and-a-half months I have quit. I think cannabis is an amazing drug, I love it, respect it and am looking forward to using it again, but right now I am enjoying the discipline and satisfaction of not using it. I rest well at night and wake up without any hangover or lethargic feeling in the morning. Normally, if I went without for longer than 24 hours I would feel negative side-effects such as a markedly increased anxiety, and I have experienced some difficulties since I stopped. I have felt more relaxed and awake over time though, but not much different, and feel I am giving myself some precious time to see myself as I am and work though my life soberly for a change. It does take a good few weeks to get over cannabis use because it loves the fatty cells of the body and takes a good while to leave, so giving up a habit for even a short amount of time is hard, but with sufficient will to do so it is easy to abstain. The hard thing is to have a good enough reason to do so.

i had a similar thing, i used weed to self medicate and escape depression and for a long time if i wasn't stoned (or had weed to know i could escape the pain at anytime) then i fucking hated life and all i could focus on was how to get weed, TV was boring, i couldnt get interested or focus on anything and i was really irritable. this is just a straight up dependency and while i don't know you personally your case sounds similar.

i solved this by giving breaks between getting stoned with increasing intervals. so id not smoke for half a day, then a day, then 2 and so on, at least for me after the first week or 2 i felt a new sense of pride since i was independent and not reliant on a plant for happiness. smoking also became alot more enjoyable since the reasons i smoked changed and the 'magic' returned. for example at the moment ive been sober for 3 weeks (the longest in years) and i feel fine, it makes you feel better when you know you provide your own happiness and you're life doesn't revolve around a plant, saying that i really wanna spliff, weeds so much fun :((((((

This guy is a perfect example of how people use weed wrong. His whole life is getting high and watching TV, so of course when he hasn't got some THC in him he's going to hate his life because he's seeing it clearly. If you have a productive, stimulating life and weed is just an addition to that then not being stoned past some initial discomfort shouldn't be a huge issue. If your entire life revolves around something as banal as TV and weed is the only way to make your shitty life bearable (case in point being callumjay1) then of course when you're not stoned you're going to hate it.

I stopped smoking about two months ago, and really I don't feel much different to when I would smoke multiple times a day everyday. I guess I'm a little more clear headed but not a whole lot of changes mentally or physically. Although I have started to remember my dreams more now.

This guy is a perfect example of how people use weed wrong. His whole life is getting high and watching TV, so of course when he hasn't got some THC in him he's going to hate his life because he's seeing it clearly. If you have a productive, stimulating life and weed is just an addition to that then not being stoned past some initial discomfort shouldn't be a huge issue. If your entire life revolves around something as banal as TV and weed is the only way to make your shitty life bearable (case in point being callumjay1) then of course when you're not stoned you're going to hate it.

^You're a fucking moron dude.

Last edited:
fucking sucks. im going to rehab for up to a year after a week from now so i should get used to it although i smoked the last 4 days and tommorrow ill be smoking till my bed in detox opens. also on a cocktail of benzos and opiates to keep me good. wish i had more weeds tho.

i did find a grav rip of dank on the floor while taking a shit earlier lol that was a pleasent suprise
good luck man take advantage of the opportunity. try to taper if you can.

thanks for the responses everybody so far. gingerpee, i agree good advice. I am a singer myself which is one of the reasons I want to, or need to get my usage under control. It sounds like I'm not much different than most of you guys. on one hand it can be a tool, it helps me focus simply just on the music or task at hand when i've got a lot going on after a long day at work. For me, when I started smoking weed was probably when I've been able to be happy consectutively for the longest. If I feel down it's real easy to push past that. I'm not a typical lazy stoner- I work full time, work out 3-4 times a week, and try to dedicate atleast 1-2hrs a day to music. I'd like to consider myself a high functioning stoner, but lately I have come to dislike the fact that much of my happiness comes from joints. I find I become highly irrational at times when I'm not stoned as of lately. idk if it's always been like this.

I pretty much get stoned every day, but I usually do it at night (around 8 or so in the evening), after my workday is over and there's nothing more to do. I live in a pretty rural, isolated location, so I figure that smoking weed is just as good as anything to do. But sometimes I think "hmmm, could I actually stop smoking this weed if I wanted to?" And I guess I'm disturbed that the answer is probably "no", in all honesty. Because sometimes I'll do that with other drugs...just keep them around for extended periods of time before doing them to prove to myself that I'm not "addicted", (lol what a laugh that is right) But if there's weed around to be smoked, I will smoke it, period. I'm a productive member of society and all that BS, so I've never really seen a reason to not smoke weed necessarily, and weed is widely socially accepted among my group of peers, but sometimes I wonder if it's damaging my potential in ways I'm just not thinking about...

as far as what I'm like NOT stoned? Well my though processes are usually on the depressive, anxious racing thoughts-side of things, but they were like that long before smoking weed. If anything weed helped me mellow out considerably. I'm usually able to function completely normally in day-to-day life without being high, though...a couple years back I had to quite for a year so I know I can get by without it, it's just that I don't want to.