• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Long term weed storage

Very old, meaning cannabis from. Birth, how many years old , stores in a glass jar?
Varying Storage conditions will make the cannabis in a jar age faster :
Exterior humidity and temperature, overall darkness of storage of jar, The quality of the jar (cheaper jars will have a poorer seal)

Then what i mean is imagine if you have Two examples of 2 year old weed, side by side one has unfortunately encountered many of the potential degrading exposures and the other has been kept in optimal conditons in a premium jar. The latter should be much nicer and less 'far gone' , 5 year old jar weed even in the best conditions you will find high degradation and more THC converted to CBN

Varying Storage conditions will make the cannabis in a jar age faster :
Exterior humidity and temperature, overall darkness of storage of jar, The quality of the jar (cheaper jars will have a poorer seal)

Then what i mean is imagine if you have Two examples of 2 year old weed, side by side one has unfortunately encountered many of the potential degrading exposures and the other has been kept in optimal conditons in a premium jar. The latter should be much nicer and less 'far gone' , 5 year old jar weed even in the best conditions you will find high degradation and more THC converted to CBN
I thought only glass jars are necessary when storing, for optimal conditions?

Interesting about THC converting to CBN. Thank you for sharing about this.

Blows my mind that people think they can smoke buds right after chopped.

Wtf?
if we were desperate we used to make a mix with it wet then stick it on the top of a crt monitor on paper.

in two hours it was dry as and although not as good as hung then cured was not as bad as oven or microwave dried.

i did vape some buds fresh from the plant in a pinch the guy who was teaching me to grow called me a weedophile

Get some of those boveda humidity packs that keep your herb at a standardized relative humidity.

Turns any glass jar into a humidor.

They came with a few ounces of CBD I ordered online when I realized CBD flower is now legal in all 50 states. Was pleasantly surprised at how well the humidity saver packs worked that came in my order. Just transferred the boveda baggies and CBD to glass jars and have had fresh material for months even though I open the jars pretty often. (Normally opening jars full of bulk cannabis dries the pot out. CBD dries even quicker cause the THC I guess helps keep things fresh with conventional weed.)
This!! So freaking true. Mason jars/glass jars are great for a few weeks/couple of months, in my experience. Adding a boveda moisture pack does wonder. Like you said, literally turns into a cannabis humidor. I've tried using the boveda packs inside a bag, but not as good as a glass jar. I found good humidity jars that have a moisture reader built in, but they are a bit small for larger storage. I can only get around 5-6g, so can only put a few buds in at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If money and/or effort are not a concern, I would store the weed in vacuum sealed opaque nags containing a humidicant pack. I would bet my ability to get high for years into a zombie apocalypse. For more normal store, a mason jar in the pantry cupboard (w/humidity pack). I'm assuming for already properly cured product.

Tom

i usually dried my weed out completely before storing it like everyone said.... i'd be afraid of moisture packets causing mold.

i smoked like 5 year old dried out weed that was sealed in a baggy inside a jar and kept in the dark. it was a little harsher, but no big deal, not as bad as cigs. this weed may have been harsh when i got it too... i kept some moist weed in the same condition for like a year and was surprised it didn't get moldy... so i dunno... not too much to worry about. maybe try the moisture packet with a small amount of bud and then dry some out and see what's better.

i get legal bud now and the expiration date is usually a year after it's packed. probably an over kill.

also i might not recommend keeping your bud for five years, it's just something i did. i'm wondering about the humidity packet and dry weed. i dunno. might be good.

also freezing fresh bud and drying it later seems to stop mold. i left a bowl of trimmed nugs in the freezer with out any covering or packaging and it was still awesome after a few months.

Over year the potency reduced less or more regardless of storage.-for buds.Hash preserve its potency longer.