• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Long term weed storage

HiLiKuS

Bluelighter
Hey peeps. How long can you store weed for if sealed in a glass jar/ vacuum sealed bag and protected from light etc and it still be good to smoke?

Does anyone store weed in the freezer? Like in a vacuum sealed bag. Does it ruin the bud at all/do the trichromes fall off/deteriorate?

Just keep it in a glass container and cool. It's good for years.

You can store in the freezer but generally that will be used for feco/rso or hash

Get some of those boveda humidity packs that keep your herb at a standardized relative humidity.

Turns any glass jar into a humidor.

They came with a few ounces of CBD I ordered online when I realized CBD flower is now legal in all 50 states. Was pleasantly surprised at how well the humidity saver packs worked that came in my order. Just transferred the boveda baggies and CBD to glass jars and have had fresh material for months even though I open the jars pretty often. (Normally opening jars full of bulk cannabis dries the pot out. CBD dries even quicker cause the THC I guess helps keep things fresh with conventional weed.)

technically years but flower is a fruit and is best consumed fresh

If you vacuum seal it properly, it will last longer than your interest in it, quite possibly. Why everyone doesn't own a VS by now is a mystery to me. They are cheap, and if preservation/storage is your thing, it is the greatest money you'll ever spend.

You can get sachet style humidity absorbers/ stabilisers to put in your Jars that will help keep them fresher for longer
Note tho that even with proper storage you will lose some THC, some gets converted to CBN

Personally id take 3 month old cured weed in a jar over some 2 weeks old fresh , it just a nicer chilled buzz for me

Exactly. It also removes alot of beneficial effects.

Look at "real" hashish for instance. Some of the best hash is years, up to a decade old.

What everyone says.

I’ve rarely had enough to store long term, but in vacumn sealed bags w/an appropriately sized humidity control pack. In the dark and above 40F but below 75F. If . I were rich and had my preferences, 55F/12.8C inside of an electronically controlled humidor, opaque mylar bags. Sadly I am not rich.

Tom

How about in glass jar only for three to six months?
as long as the bud wasnt too damp , and also as long as exterior storage conditions are correct (a dark place away from sunlight, no extreme temperature changes like too cold or too hot) then yes absolutely fine , id definitely enjoy 6 month old bud in my vapes

Pretty sure weed slowly decarbs over time. I just googled it and found this:

Slow no-heat decarb​

The most extreme way to preserve terpenes is to add no heat at all! Yes, you can decarb by just keeping your herb in an air-tight container in a dark place and it will naturally decarboxylate with time. The process may take a couple of years by which time you’ll start to lose potency due to simultaneous oxidation, but you can speed up the process to a couple of months by making an oil extract

END QUOTE/

My point is: long term storage will eventually result in the weed being decarb right, assuming there is a positive temp (C)? And presumably decarbed weed is less potent when smoked?

I've been meaning to start a "time decarb" jar for ages. Nobody seems to know much about it.

EDIT: I just realized that decarbing weed can't make it less potent when smoked because it's decarbed when you burn it. Duh.

THCa weighs roughly 12% more than THC so there is a loss of cannibinoid weight during the conversion process.

I've kept weed in a glass jar (without vacuum seal) for over 3 years and there was mostly just an absence of dankness from the terps. I wouldn't have felt comfortable eating that weed without further decarbing it. Visually, weed becomes darker after it is decarbed. You can see this using the oven method which takes about 20-30 minutes instead of 5 years.

Fuck it.
I'm going to start a time decarb jar.
I will report back my findings in 2027.

@w01fg4ng
The higher the temp, the darker the decarbed flower is.
Perhaps if you don't apply temp, it doesn't go dark?

If the weed is very old there is a chance it will give headaches and/or just make you feel extra tired due to high CBN levels