• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term Klonopin (clonazepam) use effects on memory

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
Ive read in a couple of places, wikipedia being one...that klonopin is a benzo that tends to make your memory impaired over the long term like after 6 months of taking it. Also ive read that other benzos arent as bad when it comes to effects on your memory, short or long term. So has anyone here been on klonopin for an extended period of time and found that you have significant memory impairment? And im not talking if you take a high dose of klonopin and just dont remember shit, that just a benzo black out to me....but im talking about when your not on it, is your memory still impaired. Thanks for any responses!!

Benzos leave your memory impaired the first time you use them (at least for the duration of their effects - and to what degree, well, that depends on the benzo).

I've been on benzos for a few years now (funny that I can't remember when I started taking them...), first had Xanax (alprazolam), then switched to Ativan (lorazepam) for maybe two years, and now I'm on both Klonopin (clonazepam) and Ativan at the same time...transitioning over to Klonopin...although I've only been on Klonopin a month or so (regular, prescribed dosages) I have noticed that my memory is a bit more fuzzy.

Granted, when I try and remember specific things its not a problem, most of the time. Recalling events during the peak of most benzos experiences is difficult for most people (and not just for clonazepam either).

Do you find your long term memory impared at all? Like can you remember, for example..your childhood as good as you could have before your started using benzos.

My long-term memory (from before I started using benzos...and even up to now while I still am using benzos) seems unaffected.

That's not to say it could get worse over time...YMMV. Benzos can actually be a pretty unpredictable class of drugs...but then again, everybody is different.

It's weird because I found my memory to get much, MUCH worse, when I stopped taking benzo's, even after withdrawal and paws, I couldn't remember anything. When I started again, those memory's flooded back. I sure this is an abnormality, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, when going through benzo withdrawal, it is common for people to start forgetting certain words. I remember I ran out of Xanax and couldn't get any for two days, and after 24 hours, it was as if words like "dog" never existed in my vocabulary. Scary stuff.

There is some evidence that long term benzodiazepine use can impair memory - here is one paper, although it is based on a small sample size, and here is another looking at the cognitive effects of various drugs.

Whether this is significant in practice or not is debatable, and considering the number of people on benzodiazepines long term I would think it would probably be a bigger issue if it was common (although not necessarily) but if you are concerned I would speak to your doctor.

Zneg, that sounds awful!

note: those papers are not looking specifically at clonazepam.

Last edited:
i've been on clonazepam therapeutic dose for 5 years.

it's called cognitive fog. yes, its long term effects fuck with your memory. and benzo withdrawal entirely shatters memory for up to years afterwards, so it becomes a catch-22.

There's literally a 2-3 month gap in my memory during the start of my diazepam usage at 15-30mg daily (prescribed dosages) when my tolerance was still low. My first time taking a benzo was with a benzo script, so I took them from day 1 and didn't stop until about half a year later.

qwe, that's discouraging. Does full cognitive function ever return? I've read that it does in 6 months to a year. I've been clean from daily benzo usage for about a year, and this was with a slow diazepam taper.

I used Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2mg's daily for 4 months for anxiety/insomnia, and binged at various doses (with other Benzos/Non Benzo's included) at doses of between 2-8mg (varying dosages) on weekends.

Then I switched to Xanax 2mg's daily for anxiety/insomnia, but kept on using Clonazepam at weekends more so for recreational purposes.

I'm now tapering from Xanax over to Diazepam, then hope to be BZD free (which will be a 1-2yr process coz i'm using the ashton method :/ - but will really minimize w/ds).

Clonazepam binds to your GABA receptors a lot more acutely than other BZD's and due to it's long half-life the effects last awhile - especially if taking daily, and this is why people find it gives much more memory issues than other BZD's that last for quite a while after you stop using as well.

For me personally, It provided immense short term memory loss, and slight long term memory loss, which I still suffer from now (bear in mind I am still taking Diazepam) but from other users that I know that only use it on a recreational basis, they say Klonopin is one of the worst (apart from Z-drugs [Non-Benzo's]) for retrograde amnesia in comparison to Lorazepam and Diazepam.

Last edited:
Memory is greatly affected by benzos - all benzos. There are some that are more amnesic than others (lorazepam, temazepam, nitrazepam, midazolam, triazolam, etc), but all benzos cause a lasting effect on memory function. This is true even after stopping the drug for at least a 6 month period. You'll forget things even when you aren't on the drugs. Things like where you put your keys, wallet, paperwork, mail, etc. Long-acting benzos are not worse than short-acting benzos, as some might believe. They are all bad for the memory. Period.

Completed agreed, I am constantly forgetting where I have left things etc, who I've spoken to, if I've sent an email or posting something on the internet etc.

Due to Klonopin's half life, and it's tight binding to the GABA receptors, and if someone is prescribed and takes daily at multiple times (which could be said for most other long lasting benzos realistically too), increasing the amount in your body due to it's half-life after multiple dosing (similarily to Nitrazepam which also has a very long half-life and is very hypnotic/amnesic) will cause an increased build up of the specific drug in the system... Some user's find Klonopin to be a lot worse for memory issues than the benzos with shorter half-lifes such as Triazolam, Midazolam & Alprazolam.

I'm not doubting that ALL benzo's affect short term & long term memory loss in the long run - but if you use sporadically and recreationally some people will only have amnesic/memory loss problems for a couple of days, but just from speaking to other user's Klonopin seems to be up there with Flunitrazepam & Lorazepam (which both have more potent amnesic/hypnotic qualities as oppose to Alprazolam & Diazepam which although do possess amnesic/hypnotic qualities also, tend to have more prominent anxiolytic/sedative effects).

Alprazolam and diazepam are not too bad, but they like all benzos will cause memory issues. Long-acting or short-acting, all benzos will cause this same problem. It has nothing to do with the half life of any particular benzo. I actually find clonazepam to be one of the milder ones, actually. Lorazepam is mean and it really toys with your memory. Triazolam is the absolute worse, in my experience and based on clinical studies. According to a study, the benzos most used in date rape are midazolam and temazepam - both of which are hypnotics and are more intense on the memory than something like clonazepam, diazepam, or alprazolam. Flunitrazepam is similar to nitrazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, and lormetazepam. But the worst on the memory are triazolam, midazolam, brotizolam, and loprazolam.

I've used benzos (oxazepam, alprazolam, diazepam, clonazepam) for 7 years now. I've used 3 mg clonazepam daily for the last 3 years. I haven't noticed any memory impairment and graduated with good results from university. So obviously my memory can't be too bad. I'm sure there has been some impairment but it's not noticeable. But if I still use clonazepam after 20 years I'm sure some more noticeable impairment will occur. But as it happens so slowly it might be I don't notice it, but the people around me do.

I've used benzos (oxazepam, alprazolam, diazepam, clonazepam) for 7 years now. I've used 3 mg clonazepam daily for the last 3 years. I haven't noticed any memory impairment and graduated with good results from university. So obviously my memory can't be too bad. I'm sure there has been some impairment but it's not noticeable. But if I still use clonazepam after 20 years I'm sure some more noticeable impairment will occur. But as it happens so slowly it might be I don't notice it, but the people around me do.

Well it's like I said, clonazepam is one of the milder ones as far as memory goes. The really bad ones tend to be the hypnotics (temazepam, flunitrazepam, triazolam, nitrazepam, midazolam, etc) - they are like a Category 5 hurricane to your memory. Lorazepam is bad also, although it is not an hypnotic. But clonazepam is mild. So are diazepam and alprazolam, but clonazepam is still milder than those two. Oxazepam is milder than clonazepam. So you've dealt with more mild benzos as far as memory goes.

Alprazolam and diazepam are not too bad, but they like all benzos will cause memory issues. Long-acting or short-acting, all benzos will cause this same problem. It has nothing to do with the half life of any particular benzo. I actually find clonazepam to be one of the milder ones, actually. Lorazepam is mean and it really toys with your memory. Triazolam is the absolute worse, in my experience and based on clinical studies. According to a study, the benzos most used in date rape are midazolam and temazepam - both of which are hypnotics and are more intense on the memory than something like clonazepam, diazepam, or alprazolam. Flunitrazepam is similar to nitrazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, and lormetazepam. But the worst on the memory are triazolam, midazolam, brotizolam, and loprazolam.

I can see what you're saying, but Flunitrazepam, Midazolam, Triazolam & Temazepam cause severe short term memory loss and are generally used in very high doses causing complete blackouts for date rape situations, which is why they are commonly used as date rape drugs, although I know in studies it has been proven that Temazepam and Midazolam are the most commonly used - probably due to their higher availability through prescriptions/street access (although in some places in the US Flunitrazepam is quite available on the street).

If they are not used regularly, then the short term memory loss will pass after about 1-3 weeks at most. But if you don't use those type of Benzos regularly, you won't suffer with memory loss for 5-6 months.

Ultimately I do agree with you, but if not used regularly, they won't affect your memory on a long term basis. However people who use Flunitrazepam, Midazolam, Triazolam, Nitrazepam and Lorazepam (or Z-drugs such as Zolpidem and Eszopiclone) and even lower potency Benzos such as Diazepam, Clonazepam or Alprazolam on a regular basis are going to fuck your memory up for a VERY long time if not permenantly. I learned that lesson the hard way as my short term and long term memory are severely debilitated after previous usage stated above, and I've never used Triazolam, Midazolam, Flunitrazepam, Temazepam or Lormetazepam - I think the most hypnotic/amnesic I've ever used are Zolpidem & Nitrazepam! Though I'm sure I'd be in an even worse predicament if I had! :\

Just my two cents.

I can see what you're saying, but Flunitrazepam, Midazolam, Triazolam & Temazepam cause severe short term memory loss and are generally used in very high doses causing complete blackouts for date rape situations, which is why they are commonly used as date rape drugs, although I know in studies it has been proven that Temazepam and Midazolam are the most commonly used - probably due to their higher availability through prescriptions/street access (although in some places in the US Flunitrazepam is quite available on the street).

If they are not used regularly, then the short term memory loss will pass after about 1-3 weeks at most. But if you don't use those type of Benzos regularly, you won't suffer with memory loss for 5-6 months.

Ultimately I do agree with you, but if not used regularly, they won't affect your memory on a long term basis. However people who use Flunitrazepam, Midazolam, Triazolam, Nitrazepam and Lorazepam (or Z-drugs such as Zolpidem and Eszopiclone) and even lower potency Benzos such as Diazepam, Clonazepam or Alprazolam on a regular basis are going to fuck your memory up for a VERY long time if not permenantly. I learned that lesson the hard way as my short term and long term memory are severely debilitated after previous usage stated above, and I've never used Triazolam, Midazolam, Flunitrazepam, Temazepam or Lormetazepam - I think the most hypnotic/amnesic I've ever used are Zolpidem & Nitrazepam! Though I'm sure I'd be in an even worse predicament if I had! :\

Just my two cents.

Oh no, flunitrazepam is very rare on the streets in the US. Not common at all! Maybe in the big cities of southern states near or on the border with Mexico like Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston, San Antonio, etc. But even then its rare. But on topic, we essentially are in agreement. I did say ALL benzos will fuck with your memory - that's just the fact. I just said which ones are worse and which ones are milder in nature.

Read this:

Abrupt withdrawal after long term use from therapeutic doses of temazepam may result in a very severe benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. There are reports in the medical literature of at least six psychotic states developing after abrupt withdrawal from temazepam including delirium after abrupt withdrawal of only 30 mg of temazepam and in another case, auditory hallucinations and visual cognitive disorder developed after abrupt withdrawal from 10 mg of temazepam, 5 mg of nitrazepam and 0.5 mg of triazolam. Gradual and careful reduction of the dosage, preferably with a milder long-acting benzodiazepine such as clonazepam or diazepam, or even a milder short to intermediate acting benzodiazepine such as oxazepam or alprazolam, was recommended to prevent severe withdrawal syndromes from developing. Other strong hypnotic benzodiazepines, whether short, intermediate or long-acting are not recommended. Antipsychotics increase the severity of benzodiazepine withdrawal effects with an increase in the intensity and severity of convulsions. Depersonalisation has also been reported as a benzodiazepine withdrawal effect from temazepam.

Abrupt withdrawal from very high doses is even more likely to cause severe withdrawal effects. Withdrawal from very high doses of temazepam will cause severe hypoperfusion of the whole brain with diffuse slow activity on EEG. After withdrawal, abnormalities in hypofrontal brain wave patterns may persist beyond the withdrawal syndrome suggesting that organic brain damage may occur from chronic high dose abuse of temazepam. Temazepam withdrawal has been well known to cause a sudden and often violent death.

That is from wikidoc, which is written by an actual doctor which you can contact and by clicking his name at the top you can see his credentials. Here it is!

A bit off topic but here in Europe Lyrica is prescribed for GAD. I used 600 mg for a couple of years and felt like my brain worked at 50% of it's capacity. Felt totally retarded on it. I've never felt that with any benzo.

Read this:

Abrupt withdrawal after long term use from therapeutic doses of temazepam may result in a very severe benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. There are reports in the medical literature of at least six psychotic states developing after abrupt withdrawal from temazepam including delirium after abrupt withdrawal of only 30 mg of temazepam and in another case, auditory hallucinations and visual cognitive disorder developed after abrupt withdrawal from 10 mg of temazepam, 5 mg of nitrazepam and 0.5 mg of triazolam. Gradual and careful reduction of the dosage, preferably with a milder long-acting benzodiazepine such as clonazepam or diazepam, or even a milder short to intermediate acting benzodiazepine such as oxazepam or alprazolam, was recommended to prevent severe withdrawal syndromes from developing. Other strong hypnotic benzodiazepines, whether short, intermediate or long-acting are not recommended. Antipsychotics increase the severity of benzodiazepine withdrawal effects with an increase in the intensity and severity of convulsions. Depersonalisation has also been reported as a benzodiazepine withdrawal effect from temazepam.

Abrupt withdrawal from very high doses is even more likely to cause severe withdrawal effects. Withdrawal from very high doses of temazepam will cause severe hypoperfusion of the whole brain with diffuse slow activity on EEG. After withdrawal, abnormalities in hypofrontal brain wave patterns may persist beyond the withdrawal syndrome suggesting that organic brain damage may occur from chronic high dose abuse of temazepam. Temazepam withdrawal has been well known to cause a sudden and often violent death.

That is from wikidoc, which is written by an actual doctor which you can contact and by clicking his name at the top you can see his credentials. Here it is!

Which was exactly my point, over LONG TERM USE. The 2nd section I have bolded doesn't specify whether that's abrupt withdrawal from very high doses over long term use or short term...

When coming off any Benzo from long term use you will go into BZD W/D Syndrome, I know because I have been abusing various Benzos at high/low (varying daily) doses for the past 6-8 months daily, and am currently tapering off with Diazepam as I stated earlier. Long term use of BZD's permanently alters the way your GABA receptors function, which is why if you C/T or stop using, you go into W/D, and why tapering is recommended to cause the least permanent damage...

I'm not trying to cause an arguement, but what you just quoted confirmed what I was talking about earlier, and I did agree with you that coming off of an Amnesic/Hypnotic high potency BZD will cause more severe W/D symptoms if not tapered with another lower potency BZD that isn't as hypnotic/amnesic but that has a long half-life to prevent interdose withdrawals such as Diazepam, Oxazepam or Chlordiazepoxide. I know all this stuff because I'm into Pharmacology and have researched various medical journals and notes, due to my particular use of BZD's.

It's all in here http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm... which is also written by a Msc in Neurology, Neurobiology & Psychiatry who specializes in helping people W/D from Benzodiazepines.

A bit off topic but here in Europe Lyrica is prescribed for GAD. I used 600 mg for a couple of years and felt like my brain worked at 50% of it's capacity. Felt totally retarded on it. I've never felt that with any benzo.

I'm in the UK and for GAD I got prescribed 200mg's of Trazodone (SARI) which has anxiolytic/sedative properties nightly, which I stopped taking when I started using Benzos for Anxiety/Insomnia instead. Luckily I went straight to bed and felt fine the next morning, but sometimes I couldn't sleep and would wake up to pee, and felt like I was dying! In the UK they don't like to prescribe Benzos for more than 2-4 weeks due to the W/D's and their addictive nature.

I've been on Benzos [currently k-pins] for more years than I want to think about and strongly believe they cause memory loss. In fact I had a 3 hr exam over 2 days and they confirmed I have "pre dementia" which I think means I'm headed to a place I don't want to go. If any of you guys can get by without them then do it. However, sometimes the side effects are worth the benefits. It's too bad it happens over time because IMO many would quit the recreational usage if they noticed sooner. I'm a movie buff and [I guess] one good side effect is I can watch a new movie and a few weeks later usually don't remember much about the details, plot or ending.... Almost like seeing for first time. Old movies are different... I seem to remember them best. I use to love to read non fictions and now don't have concentration or focus. Glad they now have CD books. I do recall when stores first starting selling DVD's and thought at the time they would never sell because why would someone buy something when they can rent it. Now I know and have quite an extensive collection.... ha ha

I've been on Benzos [currently k-pins] for more years than I want to think about and strongly believe they cause memory loss. In fact I had a 3 hr exam over 2 days and they confirmed I have "pre dementia" which I think means I'm headed to a place I don't want to go. If any of you guys can get by without them then do it. However, sometimes the side effects are worth the benefits. It's too bad it happens over time because IMO many would quit the recreational usage if they noticed sooner. I'm a movie buff and [I guess] one good side effect is I can watch a new movie and a few weeks later usually don't remember much about the details, plot or ending.... Almost like seeing for first time. Old movies are different... I seem to remember them best. I use to love to read non fictions and now don't have concentration or focus. Glad they now have CD books. I do recall when stores first starting selling DVD's and thought at the time they would never sell because why would someone buy something when they can rent it. Now I know and have quite an extensive collection.... ha ha

Can't your Dr's try to slowly taper you off? I can empathize but by the sounds of it you've been on Benzos far longer than I.

I'm doing a taper coz after my rapid and heavy recreational use and now habitual use I'm already having short-term and long-term memory issues... I have GAD and Major Depressive Disorder, but my depression has died down a lot due to CBT Counselling, and just general realization that a lot of people have it way worse than me, but I'm prepared to deal with my Anxiety through other methods than Benzos, if it prevents me from having permanent memory issues (I had a bad memory as it was before all the Benzos :p).

Or did you just start recreationally and now use habitually too? How much Clonazepam are you on daily if you don't mind me asking?