• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Long-Term Extascy/MDMA use...Sexual Dysfunction?

Also First Bad Comedown, it's interesting that you mention electricity. In my efforts to rebound from the despair that MDMA has put me through I, like you, have done a solid amount of research. One of the procedures that I've looked into is called brain state conditioning. Basically, what it does is manipulate the electricity of brain waves to induce better brain functioning. I was very skeptical (and still am to an extent), but based on my research it's produced some amazing results in people struggling with a range of problems from depression to PTSD to sleeplessness, even stuttering. I'm looking into going through the process in two weeks. If I do, I'll be sure to post my results. But take a look into it, it could be an invaluable piece in rebuilding the brains that we have all so unfortunately tampered with.

Why our brains function at all is nearly impossible to understand. The brain is constructed out of a nearly limitless series of connections, yet it is still a finite physical structure that inevitably begins to break down over time. It is both infinite and finite.

Optimism? Damn right. Think about what you have already survived. Why didn't it already kill you? Think about the people that have strokes or liver failure or swelling around the brain until they die!

Now think about you and me sitting here typing about this shit. Why did we make it past the worst part when others don't? Why do most people manage to roll without life-shattering problems? Obviously, they are likely doing fewer doses at longer intervals....but why does the brain allow this toxic substance to work without noticeable change in most people?

Because brains, just like all life, are tenacious (but not impervious). They have plasticity designed into them. We are biological machines geared towards continuing our own genetic lines, a process that began billions of years ago. That means that our nervous systems were forged by the suffering and survival of countless other forms of life. Believe me, according to history, things can be much worse than this, buddy. The death of trillions of life forms, and the survival of few, gave us an exquisite advantage. If you refuse to believe in evolution, then you have just spat in the face of God.

I have been quite angry with myself. I have begged my wife and even God for forgiveness. The anger and sorrow and grief are very real, but they are ALSO the key to healing. Your endocrine system is working in reverse, sir. It is fueled by your intestines, and it will not stop until it is re-wired. Until then, try to consider the pain and agony not just part of the healing process, it IS the healing process. Only when you are the most desperate can these axons find new places to sprout.

Want more? I have found, even before discovering Piracetam, that my rage will set me free. After days or weeks of suffering, after reaching the end of my rope....after concluding that I will NEVER be the same again....I allow myself to fall apart. I snap!

I cry and scream. I weep like a lost child. I pound my fists in rage against a wall. I wail on my punching bag with a baseball bat. I ask myself WHY DID I DO THIS?! My rage turns white hot, so intense it could destroy the whole planet. Then....

I fall. I crumble. I lay on the floor, defeated. I breathe.
I breathe, and my head is buzzing like never before. Swimming.

Then the most amazing thing happens....
I feel different. I broke on through to the other side! I feel exhausted, but calm within. A silence overtakes me. All of my muscles relax. My mind stops racing...

Within an hour or two of my breakdown, I feel better than I have in weeks. My head is clear again. This is a period of relief. This is my reward for patience. I almost feel normal.

It lasts about a day or two. The calm is nice, but temporary. The cycle begins again...

So what happened? I believe that a section of brain tissue has just completed a cycle of reinnervation. The axons that have been 'drilling' have finally penetrated all the way and managed to reconnect on the other side....like a net embracing a swarming, writhing, mass of fish. Suddenly this new tissue allows a switch from cortisol, a stress hormone, to oxytocin, a relaxing hormone.

That's what it feels like to me. If you weren't aware, cortisol/oxytocin/prolactin release is what rolling is all about. Until you peak on your roll, you don't get the massive release of prolactin.

Well, something similar is happening during recovery. Except now it takes a LOT more cortisol to produce a period of relief!
This viscous cycle does not stop, because the intestines do not stop. This feedback loop must be repeated many many times. Besides, if you were a brain trying to fucking re-wire itself, would you want to do it all in one week, or take your time with the process? Trust nature on this one.

Your suffering IS your healing. Your pain will restore you, one day. At the end of this recovery, you will carry with you a wisdom that many people fail to learn within the course of their lives. You are not really in control. You are only designed to think that you are.

For now, our endocrine and digestive systems are in control. Coming to accept this truth is what your brain state conditioning will help you achieve. It is the same conditioning that allows some to undergo dental surgery without anesthesia. Monks can change their core body temperature with thought!

They will teach you a form of meditation, at what looks like a very steep price, Cat. Personally, I don't have the funds for such a practice, but I understand your willingness to try anything.

Have you tried losing control? Any good therapist will tell you that rage can be healing. Holding that shit in is what will kill you. Allow yourself to fall apart, when you are having a bad day. Tell the people you love that it is necessary, and they must allow it. They will understand when they see you reach the other side.

This process of losing control and feeling relief is very common among recovering addicts. Unfortunately for you and me, it took relatively little MDMA to go through this hell. But rest assured, that heroine, meth, cocaine, and even alcohol cause long term structural changes within the brain. Changes that take years to recover from. You may never be exactly what you were before you started doing E, but I expect you won't be able to tell much difference either. Remember, your brain can fool you. That's why the therapy works for people...

Don't spend too much money, please. But yes, let us know how it goes. Otherwise, learn how to meditate.

Hope this helped!

First Bad Comedown, take solace in knowing that neither your intellect nor your ability for fiery, persuasive rhetoric was destroyed alongside any brain cells. Here's my final question, and I'll view your answer with some validity based on everything you've demonstrated. I know this is the million dollar question, but all I'm looking for is a million dollar estimation. How long before all of us are back to baseline (or at least not noticeably different from baseline)? It seems like between 1-2 years is the magic number based on all I've gathered. What's your guess?

Ok quick question First Bad Comedown, do you mind reading my post in advanced drug discussion , you can access through my profile, and five memoir of your brilliant opinions of what I should do? I want to regain myself for school and you seem like you know quite about the questions I have.

Also whYs your opinion on neurofeeeback brain training?

It'a called "need quick advice for hippocampus remodeling after stimulant abuse"

try taking ginkgo, doing loads of exercise, pirectam, omega 3. after having quite a binge on meph and mdma every weekend for a few months i eventually experienced brain zaps and a massive loss of sex drive. it was horrible. i seem to be fine now though, thank fuck. im laying off drugs, apart from alcohol and a few cigs and DMT, for a long time

I know one thing that sure did help me out after my abuse was finding a good multi vitamin that is specifically for men and they contain certain herbs and such that will help you with your libido problems and your overall health in general.

Million Dollar Answer

Cat,

That is indeed the million dollar question. Every last one of us desperately wants to know if we will ever be the same again....and if so when?

In my opinion, the researchers are performing the wrong tests. Word recall and self-reported improvements in depression only elucidate so much of the picture. But it does help to know that former heavy users tend to describe their depression as a thing of the past.

I have found encouragement from these types of postings to be quite valuable, especially when I was desperate. At the same time, I understand that they are somewhat limited, especially since most of these people are still drug users and tend to discuss very little in detail. I want to shake them, honestly, and demand more information! (Like you ColtDan....how long was your recovery?)

What I really want to see is a long running tally of hundreds or thousands of ex-users online. I want them to describe the depression/dysfunction they experienced and for how long. Only with a large amount of such data can we extrapolate the real statistical information that you (and I) so desperately desire.

So far, almost all of the abstracts I have read indicate that self-reported depression lasts up to two years. Yes that is the magical number, Cat. Think about it in terms of months, not years. Also of importance, in most of these limited studies, the lifetime exposure as well as the typical nightly exposure both correlate with the length of depression. The more you took, the longer it takes. There are exceptions, I imagine. I have only consumed 30 tabs or so in my life. But it was 500mg dosing, twice in 7 days that fucked me up. Re-dosing, in my opinion, is a greater danger than long-term controlled use...others on BL seem to agree with this assessment.

Does 12 months really sound like that long of a time period? Not to me. At least, not anymore. In the rat, 12 months seems to be what is required for near-complete recovery of the 5-ht network. Keep in mind they have two vast advantages here: the have a much less complicated brain structure and a much higher metabolism. Not only is there less work to do, but they can do said work at a faster pace.

So 12 months for rats...
Yes, they are giving these rats proven toxic doses.
Even if you did not go so overboard with your dosing, you should count on one year being the minimum. More important than the timeline, is the curve of the line. These rats experienced a 'protracted' recovery. That literally means the scientist had to use a protractor to draw the line on the chart.

In other words, in the first few weeks of recovery, a LOT of progress is made. More axons pop up in this time period than any other. Remember when you were in your first few weeks? Remember the height of your endocrine response? Wasn't that shit intense? The brain got that shit done very efficiently. Some people have a fucking stroke in the first week! I felt like I almost did...

But then, the recovery enters a phase of slower progress. The curve is less steep, but luckily for the rats, and for us, it continues over time. By the 6 month mark there is still a long way to go, but at 12 months they return to control levels. And this is not just one rat, this is many rats they are following. And sacrificing at different time intervals.

Now monkeys are harder to do this with, obviously. And we have yet to carve up human brains for this type of study. But this suggests, that no matter how long your recovery does take, no matter how complete or incomplete it is....it continues for a long time. It goes on.

How much experience do you have with babies? The reason I ask is because with infants, everyone tends to use months to describe the development process. Also, once the '24 month' mark is passed, most parents switch from 'months' to 'years'. I wouldn't describe a 4 year old as a 48-month old...right?

I think that has something to do with developmental milestones. By age 2, or 24 months, they are starting to function like little people. They are walking and running, they are using single words, or phrases. They can feed themselves. The smarter ones can start learning not to shit on themselves! Of course their brains are much more malleable than ours...

So 1-2 years seems like a confident yardstick to me. It's the best we have. I can definitely track my personal progress over the last four months. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days where I believe I haven't changed at all, and never will. But on my good days, I can tell that every few weeks I have made small steps of progress. I can 'feel' the evolution of symptoms. My good days get a little 'gooder' each time! I would say by 2-3%. YAY!

Can you feel any evolution?
If so, chances are you will fall into this 1-2 year guideline.
Think about it this way, if most people stayed fucked up for more than a year or two, I bet we would see a lot more of them on BL or other internet communities asking for help. Their absence suggests a pattern of recovery.

What worries many doctors is the possibility of problems as we age. If we are already living with a deficit, then age-related decline may exacerbate this condition. This is known as 'sequelae'. Symptoms to follow, down the road. This should probably be of greater concern for you and me than our initial recovery. But here we are, focused on the here and now...just like our endocrine system demands.

I have seen a few posts from former meth users claiming it took them 4 years to normalize. They are regrowing the dopamine network, which is much more resilient than the serotonin network. However, most meth users become 'daily' users. I have yet to meet the occasional speed head. They either do it and walk away, or they do it every day. It's because the body is equipped to replenish dopamine so quickly that they receive continuous rewards day after day. Even the dumbest MDMA users notice a drop-off in pay-off after a few days or weeks.

So recovering METH addicts are also of value in this discussion. Research shows they typically take 1-2 years also!
MDMA is a type of amphetamine. It just targets a different system.

Remember, from my earlier post, that it may well be dopamine that is the key to the MDMA high after all. Although METH is a much stronger dopamine releaser, MDMA still causes a release of dopamine. In fact, it may be able to cause a release in targeted areas of the brain like tactile sensation and emotional well-being. The theory I like says that 'the increase in serotonin activity in the frontal lobes causes a flood of dopamine down the mesolimbic reward pathway'. Its a type of amphetamine high that METH just can't quite pull off.

Now that your serotonin network is frayed and fucked, especially in the frontal lobes, it is nearly impossible to obtain this release of dopamine anymore. Your serotonin defect is resulting in a targeted loss of dopamine! The result? Less tactile sensation. A feeling of disconnection from the physical world, including your own body. Blunted emotions. Lack of pleasure during sex! This is 'anehdonia'.

Why is this exciting? Because this may be why recovery is possible. All the serotonin system has to do is reinnervate these regions 'just enough' to cross a threshold. Once there, the dopamine can flow again!

In fact, it is shown in research that former MDMA users show a hyper-sensitivity to stimulants like METH and cocaine, both powerful dopamine agents. Sounds tempting, to be honest. But only a little....my brain has learned its lesson.

Imagine that serotonin is the great regulator of other brain functions. Serotonin in the smooth muscle of the intestine as well as the genitalia, somehow manages to send a message all the way up your fucking spinal cord. Then the base of your brain send this signal all the way to the fucking frontal lobes! This is quite a long way to send a complex message, don't you think?

Once these frontal regions receive the message that CatintheHat is pounding his pud, the dopamine network in the frontal lobe responds with the reward of sensation. Wow! Say 'wow' boys and girls...

With ecstasy, we achieve a level of sensation that our brains never intended us to have. Now that your serotonin axons are all withered and limp, the nearby dopamine neurons are getting no release signals, regardless of what your body is doing.

Suggestions for dealing with this fucked situation? Other than waiting two years?

Piractem, for one. By making the cellular membranes more permeable, the dopamine is allowed to flow. The serotonin reaches its target, which is probably less than a millimeter away. It seems to work great for me, although the affect tapers off after a month or so. That's why I cycle on this stuff. And always, always take fish oil.

So making the cells communicate easier is one approach. What about increasing the amount of dopamine available?

No, not meth....bad idea. I'm sure it would work, but would not be worth it in the long run.

In research regarding SSRIs, they have discovered that sexual problems are more common than they once thought. There is also concern that, for a portion of patients, sexual function does not recover for months or years after discontinuation. In at least 7 case reports I have come across, it appears to be permanent. It was nearly a decade for one man.

For these pitiful few, there were still treatment options. In larger studies of post SSRI sexual dysfunction, about half of patients responded well to yohimbine. This is an herb, and it needs to be respected. Use with caution!

The yohimbine seemed to worked better than the other dopamine agents they were using, which were amantadine and wellbutrin.
However, the effects of all these seemed to wear off after several weeks of use...

I recommend these options be delayed until your serotonin recovery is complete. Just because a doctor will prescribe it, doesn't make it a good idea. However, if you must try something, yohimbine looks like a good option, when used in proper doses.

Don't expect these benefits to last forever. Just like the serotonin receptors, the dopamine receptors can down-regulate after a period of over-exposure.

So what else?

Exercise! A lot!
I would do this before you try anything else.
I lift weights five days a week. By day three I feel much more in tune with my body. But cardio may be more important.

Studies have also shown that cardio, performed daily for six months, led to a measurable increase in total brain volume. It does this by increasing the amount of capillaries present. That's right, running every day for half an hour will help sprout more bloodflow in your brain!

And, somedud, in elderly patients with shrinking hippocampus, cardio was shown to increase the size! They also reported improvements in short-term memory, especially navigating and remember directions. Also, the hippocampus is one part of the brain they have demonstrated can regrow new cells! Apparently stem cells are delivered to this region, especially upon injury. That is one part of the brain that is more capable of adaptation.

I imagine that cardio does a great job at getting the dopamine flowing. That's what the runner's high is all about. The most difficult thing with exercise is to repeat it often. I have been working out for over a year now, and I can tell you that the benefits do not become obvious for days or weeks.

So get out there and run until your heart feels like it will burst. Do this every day for two weeks. Then come back and tell us if you can feel your penis yet! =D

I have heard about, but haven't researched, medications that cause up-regulation in the serotonin system by starving the receptors. This is like the opposite of an SSRI. Apparently, these meds will actually cause depression and anxiety. But you may be rewarded for the extra suffering, because new axons will re-sprout in response. I assume it would feel a lot like we feel now, only worse... When I know more about these, I will let you know.

Once again, I must conclude my ramblings.
I hope it isn't too much to digest.

Good luck!

Hey first, thanks again for the eloquent response. Do keep us updated about those drugs that supposedly sprout new axons, sounds delicious. You may be interested in checking out my other thread, subtly titled, "my choice to use MDMA has fucked me". There's a premed student who's in a similar position as us. He allegedly has access to some of the best healthcare in Europe (paid for by his uni), and has made the rounds to top-notch neurologists and psych doctors who specialize in mdma abuse. The doctors told him that a full recovery would take anywhere from 1-1.5 years and advised him to lay off ssris. Once again, more evidence backing the 1-2 year timeline. If I get my life back within that time period, I'll be ecstatic.

On a personal note, I'm curious if you look at this predicament in any positive light? Do you see it as a chance for greater strength and more appreciation for life once recovery occurs? I myself flip back and forth. Due to this depression I have an awareness of life and its miracles that I never had before, but alas, the cruelty lies in my inability to access and partake in them. It could be me trying to reconcile my situation, but a part of wonders if this is something I am meant to go through.

I'm glad to report, even through my psychic amount of posts and threads about this pRticular topic, that I've reached the 6 month period, almost seven now, and emotionally, I feel muchhh better. I'm current having days where I don't even think about thr damage I caused. Honestly, this may seem strange, but within less than TWO weeks, I've noticed a 50%-->75% hop in comparion to who I use to be. Two weeks ago I was bed written, and as much as you've heard this, what I did was say fuxk this, I'm not letting my brain wire itself through this thinking pattern anymore. I started working every day, eat VERY healthy, continued SSRIs and did 2 hours of intense exercise, including 30 mins of card outside in the cold. I swear, I'm noticing leaps and bounds that I never thoght I'd see again. I'm not intellectually fully there yet, still not as sharp, but after exercise I'm quicker than I use to be I believe, even though this lasts for a few hours.

Honestly, within a week of a total change in my thoght process ive made more recovery than I did in 5 fucking months. I walk around now seeing the lgbt at the end of the tunnel and can notice that given another 6 months I'll be the same if not BETTER than I use to be, since this was such a wisdom inducing experience.

Honestly guys it's all in your head, I'm seeing leaps and bound every day since I changed, I literally havnt gave myself enough time to think about everything, I FILLED my daily schedule to the brim, and put a goal of working in mind for a new car.

As we I just paid $240 to start the Neuroreplete program, I'll keep you updated on how that works, but the SSRIs ARE working, but my libido is still gone..

There's lots of hope guys, seriously cat, I wish I reaches this mental milestone months ago and I would have prevented so much negative rewiring of the brain. It constantly adapts to YOUR mins set, think positive and it will require itself that way, at first there's not many of those connections because of the negative spiral so its hard as hell, trust me I know, read my posts.. But once you mentally fight the thoughts and analysises of "permanent damage" , the thinking becomes more natural because as you should know, common thoughts/actions create stronger networks around that process.

STAY positive, I took over 400 of those pills and I DEFINATELY see a FULL if not more of a recovery, due to the healthly life style changes I made in order to combat this. And I also had a intense concussion and a breakup to mentally deal with in the process which ended me in a complete mental spin.

Seriously, THINK POSITIVE and you WILL see the light. I guarantee you'll have 100% recovery cat, along with a strong new appreciation for life and wisdom from seeing the dark side..

I hope this helps guys, cheers.

P.S. Forgive my spelling errors, I was writing this quickly on my iPhone, their a bitch for mistakes..

Last edited:
Hey Cat...check your aim email account...

And yes, somedud, good for you man.
What you are reporting is a plateau. They do seem sudden don't they? I've had many smaller plateaus in my recovery - they really help.
Typically I would have 5 shitty days followed by one or two great ones. It went like that for month 2 and 3. Now, it feels like its taking longer in between good days, but my bad days are nowhere near as terrible.

Just remember, its not over yet. Most likely, in a week or so, you will feel this slipping back a step. That is normal... its just the next cycle beginning.

I've read many people claim that it never 'really' goes away.
I don't read too much into those posts, because normally these are heavy users that are still within their first two years.

I imagine one day another cycle will begin that I will title "the great forgetting"...you will never quite notice the last plateau because it will occur gradually over time.

One day, boys, we will all look back at this and realize its behind us!

Great attitude, somedud. I'm glad you're finding some relief. I agree completely that state of mind is the most important factor when it comes to "recovery". The concept of recovery itself can create a never-ending psychological process that may prevent a person from ever feeling that everything is OK. Life continues to move forward and there are always things to work through. It need not be a never-ending recovery period.

I believe your referring to Tianeptine, a SSRE. I have a two month supply anxiously occupying my arsenal. Towards the end of my recovery I believe I'm going to top it off with some Tianeptine, it's notorious for it's effects in mental clarity, some "euphoric" feeling, and most importantly, highly sensitive sexual responses. I believe that after some careful cycling, this will top it off. I'm reluctant to use now, as I want to be thinking as positive as possible, before I deplete my serotonin and have new axons sprout around my current mind set, which I believe they do.

The only concern in my arsenal, is that the next step is using SJW, which has pharmaceutical properties, and is shown to up-regulate your serotonin receptors, I don't know whether this will hinder my recovery like typical SSRIs would. Hard to determine, quite mind boggling at that, but I'll give it a try, what can I lose eh?

Cat,

That is indeed the million dollar question. Every last one of us desperately wants to know if we will ever be the same again....and if so when?

In my opinion, the researchers are performing the wrong tests. Word recall and self-reported improvements in depression only elucidate so much of the picture. But it does help to know that former heavy users tend to describe their depression as a thing of the past.

I have found encouragement from these types of postings to be quite valuable, especially when I was desperate. At the same time, I understand that they are somewhat limited, especially since most of these people are still drug users and tend to discuss very little in detail. I want to shake them, honestly, and demand more information! (Like you ColtDan....how long was your recovery?)

What I really want to see is a long running tally of hundreds or thousands of ex-users online. I want them to describe the depression/dysfunction they experienced and for how long. Only with a large amount of such data can we extrapolate the real statistical information that you (and I) so desperately desire.

So far, almost all of the abstracts I have read indicate that self-reported depression lasts up to two years. Yes that is the magical number, Cat. Think about it in terms of months, not years. Also of importance, in most of these limited studies, the lifetime exposure as well as the typical nightly exposure both correlate with the length of depression. The more you took, the longer it takes. There are exceptions, I imagine. I have only consumed 30 tabs or so in my life. But it was 500mg dosing, twice in 7 days that fucked me up. Re-dosing, in my opinion, is a greater danger than long-term controlled use...others on BL seem to agree with this assessment.

Does 12 months really sound like that long of a time period? Not to me. At least, not anymore. In the rat, 12 months seems to be what is required for near-complete recovery of the 5-ht network. Keep in mind they have two vast advantages here: the have a much less complicated brain structure and a much higher metabolism. Not only is there less work to do, but they can do said work at a faster pace.

So 12 months for rats...
Yes, they are giving these rats proven toxic doses.
Even if you did not go so overboard with your dosing, you should count on one year being the minimum. More important than the timeline, is the curve of the line. These rats experienced a 'protracted' recovery. That literally means the scientist had to use a protractor to draw the line on the chart.

In other words, in the first few weeks of recovery, a LOT of progress is made. More axons pop up in this time period than any other. Remember when you were in your first few weeks? Remember the height of your endocrine response? Wasn't that shit intense? The brain got that shit done very efficiently. Some people have a fucking stroke in the first week! I felt like I almost did...

But then, the recovery enters a phase of slower progress. The curve is less steep, but luckily for the rats, and for us, it continues over time. By the 6 month mark there is still a long way to go, but at 12 months they return to control levels. And this is not just one rat, this is many rats they are following. And sacrificing at different time intervals.

Now monkeys are harder to do this with, obviously. And we have yet to carve up human brains for this type of study. But this suggests, that no matter how long your recovery does take, no matter how complete or incomplete it is....it continues for a long time. It goes on.

How much experience do you have with babies? The reason I ask is because with infants, everyone tends to use months to describe the development process. Also, once the '24 month' mark is passed, most parents switch from 'months' to 'years'. I wouldn't describe a 4 year old as a 48-month old...right?

I think that has something to do with developmental milestones. By age 2, or 24 months, they are starting to function like little people. They are walking and running, they are using single words, or phrases. They can feed themselves. The smarter ones can start learning not to shit on themselves! Of course their brains are much more malleable than ours...

So 1-2 years seems like a confident yardstick to me. It's the best we have. I can definitely track my personal progress over the last four months. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days where I believe I haven't changed at all, and never will. But on my good days, I can tell that every few weeks I have made small steps of progress. I can 'feel' the evolution of symptoms. My good days get a little 'gooder' each time! I would say by 2-3%. YAY!

Can you feel any evolution?
If so, chances are you will fall into this 1-2 year guideline.
Think about it this way, if most people stayed fucked up for more than a year or two, I bet we would see a lot more of them on BL or other internet communities asking for help. Their absence suggests a pattern of recovery.

What worries many doctors is the possibility of problems as we age. If we are already living with a deficit, then age-related decline may exacerbate this condition. This is known as 'sequelae'. Symptoms to follow, down the road. This should probably be of greater concern for you and me than our initial recovery. But here we are, focused on the here and now...just like our endocrine system demands.

I have seen a few posts from former meth users claiming it took them 4 years to normalize. They are regrowing the dopamine network, which is much more resilient than the serotonin network. However, most meth users become 'daily' users. I have yet to meet the occasional speed head. They either do it and walk away, or they do it every day. It's because the body is equipped to replenish dopamine so quickly that they receive continuous rewards day after day. Even the dumbest MDMA users notice a drop-off in pay-off after a few days or weeks.

So recovering METH addicts are also of value in this discussion. Research shows they typically take 1-2 years also!
MDMA is a type of amphetamine. It just targets a different system.

Remember, from my earlier post, that it may well be dopamine that is the key to the MDMA high after all. Although METH is a much stronger dopamine releaser, MDMA still causes a release of dopamine. In fact, it may be able to cause a release in targeted areas of the brain like tactile sensation and emotional well-being. The theory I like says that 'the increase in serotonin activity in the frontal lobes causes a flood of dopamine down the mesolimbic reward pathway'. Its a type of amphetamine high that METH just can't quite pull off.

Now that your serotonin network is frayed and fucked, especially in the frontal lobes, it is nearly impossible to obtain this release of dopamine anymore. Your serotonin defect is resulting in a targeted loss of dopamine! The result? Less tactile sensation. A feeling of disconnection from the physical world, including your own body. Blunted emotions. Lack of pleasure during sex! This is 'anehdonia'.

Why is this exciting? Because this may be why recovery is possible. All the serotonin system has to do is reinnervate these regions 'just enough' to cross a threshold. Once there, the dopamine can flow again!

In fact, it is shown in research that former MDMA users show a hyper-sensitivity to stimulants like METH and cocaine, both powerful dopamine agents. Sounds tempting, to be honest. But only a little....my brain has learned its lesson.

Imagine that serotonin is the great regulator of other brain functions. Serotonin in the smooth muscle of the intestine as well as the genitalia, somehow manages to send a message all the way up your fucking spinal cord. Then the base of your brain send this signal all the way to the fucking frontal lobes! This is quite a long way to send a complex message, don't you think?

Once these frontal regions receive the message that CatintheHat is pounding his pud, the dopamine network in the frontal lobe responds with the reward of sensation. Wow! Say 'wow' boys and girls...

With ecstasy, we achieve a level of sensation that our brains never intended us to have. Now that your serotonin axons are all withered and limp, the nearby dopamine neurons are getting no release signals, regardless of what your body is doing.

Suggestions for dealing with this fucked situation? Other than waiting two years?

Piractem, for one. By making the cellular membranes more permeable, the dopamine is allowed to flow. The serotonin reaches its target, which is probably less than a millimeter away. It seems to work great for me, although the affect tapers off after a month or so. That's why I cycle on this stuff. And always, always take fish oil.

So making the cells communicate easier is one approach. What about increasing the amount of dopamine available?

No, not meth....bad idea. I'm sure it would work, but would not be worth it in the long run.

In research regarding SSRIs, they have discovered that sexual problems are more common than they once thought. There is also concern that, for a portion of patients, sexual function does not recover for months or years after discontinuation. In at least 7 case reports I have come across, it appears to be permanent. It was nearly a decade for one man.

For these pitiful few, there were still treatment options. In larger studies of post SSRI sexual dysfunction, about half of patients responded well to yohimbine. This is an herb, and it needs to be respected. Use with caution!

The yohimbine seemed to worked better than the other dopamine agents they were using, which were amantadine and wellbutrin.
However, the effects of all these seemed to wear off after several weeks of use...

I recommend these options be delayed until your serotonin recovery is complete. Just because a doctor will prescribe it, doesn't make it a good idea. However, if you must try something, yohimbine looks like a good option, when used in proper doses.

Don't expect these benefits to last forever. Just like the serotonin receptors, the dopamine receptors can down-regulate after a period of over-exposure.

So what else?

Exercise! A lot!
I would do this before you try anything else.
I lift weights five days a week. By day three I feel much more in tune with my body. But cardio may be more important.

Studies have also shown that cardio, performed daily for six months, led to a measurable increase in total brain volume. It does this by increasing the amount of capillaries present. That's right, running every day for half an hour will help sprout more bloodflow in your brain!

And, somedud, in elderly patients with shrinking hippocampus, cardio was shown to increase the size! They also reported improvements in short-term memory, especially navigating and remember directions. Also, the hippocampus is one part of the brain they have demonstrated can regrow new cells! Apparently stem cells are delivered to this region, especially upon injury. That is one part of the brain that is more capable of adaptation.

I imagine that cardio does a great job at getting the dopamine flowing. That's what the runner's high is all about. The most difficult thing with exercise is to repeat it often. I have been working out for over a year now, and I can tell you that the benefits do not become obvious for days or weeks.

So get out there and run until your heart feels like it will burst. Do this every day for two weeks. Then come back and tell us if you can feel your penis yet! =D

I have heard about, but haven't researched, medications that cause up-regulation in the serotonin system by starving the receptors. This is like the opposite of an SSRI. Apparently, these meds will actually cause depression and anxiety. But you may be rewarded for the extra suffering, because new axons will re-sprout in response. I assume it would feel a lot like we feel now, only worse... When I know more about these, I will let you know.

Once again, I must conclude my ramblings.
I hope it isn't too much to digest.

Good luck!

Although some users are crazy enough to do 4 tabs, 4 days in a row....most are not. I separated my dose by seven days, but I still got fucked up. Honestly, I suspect the last half-tab I did contributed the most damage. It appears that re-dosing introduces ever higher quantities of toxic metabolites into the bloodstream. Do not re-dose, boys and girls!!

@ First Bad Come Down - Can you explain what you mean by this. What shouldn't we do and what is a proper dose? how much is too much to do at one time?

I don't know, for me lately, I get turned on, or horny. But once I reach that climax, it really falls short... pretty frustrating. ><

Hey Somedud,

I'm sure you will check this. To everyone else, this is a response to a PM...so you can ignore.

I am certain that stopping the SSRI would have caused some of this on its own. There is NO doubt about that. Did you taper it or cold turkey?

However, I also believe that rolling again was a mistake.
Will it restart your whole recovery? I doubt it, seriously.

Will it cost you a month or two....maybe.
I have not read any research that tries to gauge the effect of what you did. Everything I have read....everything that they measure....shows improvement with abstention period.

I have read other posts about people 'cheating' during their recovery and saying it cost them. I also heard people say that SSRIs cost them a LOT of time. But I haven't read anyone saying that another roll set them ALL the way back to the beginning. They simply say it set them back a little.

You were pretty fucked up for a while. Then you said you were showing vast improvements by 6-7 months. You must have been feeling pretty good to want to roll again.

But with alcohol? And two beans?
Why not approach it with more caution? Like only do a HALF and see what happens?

Nevermind, I know this won't help you now.
You just had to learn the hard way. I hope it isn't that bad...really, I hope you are ok emotionally.

How bad is the anxiety? How is your vision?
Any HPPD again? Any DpDr?
Panic attacks? Head pressure?

If not, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If you just feel 'slower' then you will be fine. That would be the minimum I would expect if I rolled again.

I would look to the more serious side effects as a gauge of whether or not you fucked yourself. If you aren't freaking out, having constant insomnia, and feeling complete anhedonia all over again, then you haven't knocked yourself off the course. You may have just backed up a little.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that part of the recovery process involves changes that REDUCE future neurotoxicity. All the claims about losing the magic seems to support this. The re-wiring process may reduce your ability to roll in the first place.
I bet you didn't roll that hard, anyways. Am I right?

Anyways, back to the SSRI. Which one were you on?
This is important, because many cause severe withdrawal on their own. I have talked to many on the internet that describe the horror of coming off an SSRI. Some of them say it takes months to normalize.

Start your working out like crazy. Even if you can't function, just do it. Force yourself.

Continue the supplements....but drop the SJW.
Fish oil and fucking piracetam. Plus choline and inositol.
Scroll back up and answer my questions.
Let me know how you are doing.

No matter what, you will be ok.
Good luck.

I almost quit cold turkey, taking 5 mg some days and some days not. I'm almost off. I never rolled at all, drank alot of oj, my pupils dilated, and I was too drunk to gauge why I decided to roll. Needless to say I feel backed up, as for insomnia, I've had it since my last roll 9 months Go. DP/dr has been constant, I was coming out of it now I just feel empty/strange. My anxiety went down after the roll? Same with panic attacks. I feel alot more relaxed, just stupider, and my vision isn't affected, I never experieceed HPPD ever, so a no for that. Head pressure, I guess a little. I noticed a drop in my motivation and goals, as well as that sense of connecting I suppose.

My social skills have yet to take another bang, due to feeling stupid. I use to be the most social dude around :/ that's the real depressing part.

But yeah, that roll was weak, no euphoria, probably cause I was on SSRIs. Appearently they were bad pills too, so I'm guessing not much MDMA? I had a ton of vit c from drinking oj all night. My vision seems a bit slower, and the inability to think set in again, but like I said the brain zaps and anxiety seized and my sleeping has become slither better so I dunno. I just don't feel as wirey as before I rolled. My stress levels have went down too, like I said I just feel a shot to my cognition and "wanting" to socialize.

I'm taking neuroreplete that has a ton of 5htp, your other post said avoid carbs bc of serotonin in the brain? So should I avoid htp.. I really wanted to start the Sjw but I dunno..

What do you figure?

Memory is basically fuxked now haha ahh, oh yeah, I was on 10 mgmlexapro for two months. As for sex drive, that went down, not complete anehodia, but decreased. I'm pissed cause I was hitting crazy milestones and I fucked upppppp.

Oh well