View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Long-term dextromethorphan usage

RobinsSis

Greenlighter
Hoping to get some insight for my sister. She is a long time abuser of many drugs(meth, benzos, multiple other prescription drugs, hallucinogens, some heroin even I think) but her all the time have to have is dextromethorphan. We are talking multiple years of daily use, starting 25 or so years ago. She did some time behind bars and most recently got out about 1 1/2 years ago and has been using steadily the whole time.
I am hoping someone might have some experience with this type of high dosage, steady usage. I don't have exact mg but she said she has cut back from 20-40 pills a day to 10 pills a day. She is experiencing nausea vomiting, restlessness, insomnia, muscle aches, hot/cold flashes, itchiness. She said she made it 4 days without at one point and she couldn't function, staggering so bad she could barely walk. All of the withdrawal symptoms so far I can find explained online except for the itching. She complains of horrible itching. Thanks for the time, I know it's a long post.

First off, it would be helpful to know how many MG's each pill is (not too important, but good to determine dose). I'm going to assume about 25 mg's, as that would put the upper dose at around 800-900 mg's, which is relatively high. Its been a while since I heavily researched dxm, but from what I recall the guidelines for using appropriately is a 3rd or 4th plateau once every 3ish months, and a lower plateau approx once every 2ish weeks is relatively safe. It sounds like she is blowing those numbers out of the water. I don't mean to dash your hopes, and I obviously am not perfectly educated on the subject, but those symptoms could be from permanent damage, and not just withdrawal. Iv known some people who have been seriously fucked up from tripping on 3rd plateau trips ~40+ times a year, let alone with more frequency. If there's anything, and I mean anything, that doesn't sound like straight withdrawal, professional help is needed. Iv also not really heard much on dxm's addictive potential, but I would think with that usage you could get addicted to nearly anything.

I did DXM almost daily, like 3-4 times a week, for over 8 years. I am still alive and well but I still struggle with DXM and take it once in a while. And everytime these days, it seems to take more of a toll of my body. Physical DXM withdrawal can last a week or two. After that it's mainly psychological but the side effects from long term use are something you have to be patient with, too, like focus and concentration, finding pleasure in certain things again, basically like PAWS from opiate.