• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Long-term cognitive and neurochemical effects of methylone and mephedrone

Bluelight Crew
Abstract

INTRODUCTION/AIMS:
The use of cathinone-derivative designer drugs methylone and mephedrone has increased rapidly in recent years. Our aim was to investigate the possible long-term effects of these drugs on a range of behavioral tests in mice. Further, we investigated the long-term effects of these drugs on brain neurochemistry in both rats and mice.

METHODS:
We treated animals with a binge-like regimen of methylone or mephedrone (30mg/kg, twice daily for 4days) and, starting 2weeks later, we performed behavioral tests of memory, anxiety and depression and measured brain levels of dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT), their metabolites and norepinephrine (NE). 5-HT and DA transporter (5-HTT and DAT) levels were also measured in rats by [(3)H]paroxetine and [(3)H]mazindol binding.

RESULTS:
Mephedrone reduced working memory performance in the T-maze spontaneous alternation task but did not affect neurotransmitter levels aside from a 22% decrease in striatal homovanillic acid (HVA) levels in mice. Methylone had little effect on behavior or neurotransmitter levels in mice but produced a widespread depletion of 5-HT and 5-HTT levels in rats.

CONCLUSIONS:
Both methylone and mephedrone appeared to have a long-term effect on either behavioral or biochemical gauges of neurotoxicity in rodents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23099177

^ Nice find! I never wanted to try that shit anyway! Now I never will :D

MDMA all the way. Oh yeah, can't excluse that MDA either...

^ I'd rather use MDMA once every few months than 4MMC or whatever the fuck it is, if it's going to do the same damn thing.

I'm glad I haven't used either, but I'd like to remind everyone that what drugs do to a rat's brain, doesn't necessarily mean that it is doing the same to human brains.

I remember NMDA antagonists caused Olney's Lesions in rats, but I don't think they ever found them in human beings.

Re. Methylone - Not surprised by the findings. The first time I used it, I was convinced it was low dose mdma. I still think pure Methylone is at least as safe as alcohol in terms of adverse effects (short or long term). I've always found it to be mdma's gentle cousin (similar, yet milder in every way, including the comedown).

I've taken Methylone a few times and yeah, it's bad if abused but so is any drug. I personally separated Methlyone from 4-MMC and MDPV after I'd taken Methylone and learned how mild it was. My main complaint about the compound is how irritable I get when I come down from it and this is from normal dosages, no redosing.

I've never taken the latter two but I've no interest too either.

I just started reading the paper and I'll update if what I'm writing now is wrong but the absolute lowest dose they tested was 15mg/kg IP, certainly not unheard of, but still way over the dose most people would require. Snorting one seventh of that dose made it very difficult for me to stand up, and the higher doses in the study only represent the most extreme multi-gram binge meph-addicts. Perhaps not extreme by BL standards but for "normal people" consuming one gram of mephedrone or methylone would probably make them fear for their lives.

Perhaps not extreme by BL standards but for "normal people" consuming one gram of mephedrone or methylone would probably make them fear for their lives.

The most methylone I've consumed in one night was ~500-600 mg I believe and that's a lot for me. I took that in two caps spread apart by 30-45 mins.

I just started reading the paper and I'll update if what I'm writing now is wrong but the absolute lowest dose they tested was 15mg/kg IP, certainly not unheard of, but still way over the dose most people would require. Snorting one seventh of that dose made it very difficult for me to stand up, and the higher doses in the study only represent the most extreme multi-gram binge meph-addicts. Perhaps not extreme by BL standards but for "normal people" consuming one gram of mephedrone or methylone would probably make them fear for their lives.

There's some dose conversion required to convert dosages between species, you can't just multiply by your weight. Rabbits, for instance, don't really don't really tolerate psychs so they're LD 50s mean little for humans.

Last edited:
There's some dose conversion required to convert dosages between species, you can't just multiply by your weight. Rabbits, for instance, don't really don't really tolerate psychs so they're LD 50s mean little for humans.

I just mentioned that as an anecdote in relation to the statement about consumption of 1 gram of methylone.

Yes, I'm aware it's a rough estimate and I've read the FDA conventions for HED but was being lazy. Of course you are totally right, after reviewing the conversion* the dose they used is roughly equivalent to 330mg administered twice daily for four consecutive days, which is within the range of "normal" use.

(30mg/kg)/6.2 = 4.8mg/kg in a 68 kilo person this = 329mg administered twice daily for four consecutive days.

*according to the FDA the HED = (rat dose in mg/kg)/(6.2)

EDIT: the study was also conducted with IP dosing as opposed to oral dosing so the numbers above are even rougher, if not totally meaningless. Furthermore it is better to translate doses using body surface area as opposed to weight.

Last edited:
Ive never used mephedrone
But I've used methylone and MDMA and I thoroughly liked methylone, both won't be good if used lots in the long run.
I think akin to MDPV, mephedrone was very good but also very compulsive which ultimately led to massive bingeing behaviour. Plus it being legal and good fun just made it even more of a problem without any proper education.

Oooh coolio :)

glad to see there's actually some research on these new empathogen chemicals popping up on the market, lets see some for 6-APB and 5-IAI now

iv being using methylone every weekend for 1-2 days. in this time i usually go through a few grams. i could go through a gram in about 12 hours very easy by either bombing,snorting or plugging. i don't like bombing much. and snorting is a waste of drugs and your nose. plugging is really amazing. similar to shooting up but without the rush. i usually take about 2-400 mg, route dependent and by the end of the night i could be doing that every couple of hours. i shot up methylone last week. iv being using it every day for 6 days now. im taking a break for 2 days then having some for a day then having a much longer break. injecting it is amazing, to amazing. like no other drug. i would recommend staying away from iv'ing this drug. because you will become addicted. i inject about 200 for a dose. after going on a binge. the frequency of the time you need to re-dose gets shorter and doses larger. il be shooting up every 30 minutes by the end of a few day binge, because by that point the rush is the only nice part. don't recommend anyone doing what im doing. it's likely to fuck my brain. just sharing this for education and information purposes

Was a huge fan of m1 when it was legal. Liked it better than MDMA and found NO side effects, even when ingesting a gram every 2 days (binge-style). Feels like it might not be great for the heart, but what stimulant is?

RIP methylone.

Hey Lady Codone! Nice to see you on here. You and I have spoken on Facebook regarding eyelid troubles fun cathinone use.

Anyways... I have easy access to pure mdma. As much as I hate to say it, the combination of methylone and mephedrone is far more enjoyable than mdma alone.

This coming from a BLer who's been a member for 13 years. :)

Haha drone has everything MDMA has only instead of sidling up to you all smiling & touchy-feely, it slams into you like runaway truck & wears off in 20minutes with a redose urge like no other. You see the article about Greeces Methamphetamine/Methcathinone problems? Everything in that article reminded me of Meph, the rampant shagging, the compulsive, devil-may-care attitude amongst users etc

I'm glad I've run out, I'll never buy it again! I'd do a line if someone offered me one & I was 1000% certain is was pure meph, but I'd never have it in the house again. It's a good drug but too fucking morish, & too short acting. Methylone I got one with much better the few times I did it, no compulsion but still shorter acting that MDMA itself.