• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Long-term cannabis users showed IQ decline from childhood to midlife (mean −5.5 IQ points)

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

Cannabis use is increasing among midlife and older adults. This study tested the hypotheses that long-term cannabis use is associated with cognitive deficits and smaller hippocampal volume in midlife, which is important because midlife cognitive deficits and smaller hippocampal volume are risk factors for dementia.

Conclusions:​

Long-term cannabis users showed cognitive deficits and smaller hippocampal volume in midlife. Research is needed to ascertain whether long-term cannabis users show elevated rates of dementia in later life.

Are people struggling with socioeconomic difficulties/mental illness/anxiety and stress (all of which lead to massive declines in IQ) more likely to turn to cannabis, or does long-term cannabis use decrease IQ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but did the study in any way control for this? Living in poverty causes enough stress for IQ to effectively decrease by one full standard deviation.

Are people struggling with socioeconomic difficulties/mental illness/anxiety and stress (all of which lead to massive declines in IQ) more likely to turn to cannabis, or does long-term cannabis use decrease IQ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but did the study in any way control for this? Living in poverty causes enough stress for IQ to effectively decrease by one full standard deviation.

they state in the results section:

“Cognitive deficits among long-term cannabis users could not be explained by persistent tobacco, alcohol, or other illicit drug use, childhood socioeconomic status, low childhood self-control, or family history of substance dependence.”

So presumably they were able to find some sort of independence. But I haven’t read the full article yet, nor will I claim to have the ability to critique their statistical methods lol

“Cognitive deficits among long-term cannabis users could not be explained by persistent tobacco, alcohol, or other illicit drug use, childhood socioeconomic status, low childhood self-control, or family history of substance dependence.”

So presumably they were able to find some sort of independence. But I haven’t read the full article yet, nor will I claim to have the ability to critique their statistical methods lol
'Childhood socioeconomic status' still does not indicate that the study is able to control for those who turn to cannabis being far more likely to deal with stressful conditions - and have a diminished IQ as a result.

I am quite skeptical of these types of studies, as much as I do feel that cannabis may have detrimental effects on intelligence with heavy long-term use.

'Childhood socioeconomic status' still does not indicate that the study is able to control for those who turn to cannabis being far more likely to deal with stressful conditions - and have a diminished IQ as a result.

I am quite skeptical of these types of studies, as much as I do feel that cannabis may have detrimental effects on intelligence with heavy long-term use.
Absolutely true, there’s no way to completely control for adverse life events

I agree that skepticism is certainly needed for these sorts of studies, but I do think they have utility.

It can help us eliminate at least some of the candidates for a causal agent, regardless of whether the “chicken or the egg came first”

That’s certainly not to say with enough similar studies one can sufficiently eliminate away all the possibilities and then say you’ve shown causation tho

But it can make the chess board much smaller when researchers do use other methodologies

Been smoking weed since I was 12.

Dropped out of highschool at 16.

Had psyche testing done in my later 20's, which required an IQ test, where I discovered I was above average.

Marijuana currently sits as a schedule I drug still. They told you it'd make you go crazy & make black people violent in the 50's & 60's. They tell you restricting access to opioids (even for pain patients) is a "good" thing. I don't trust half the shit they say anymore.

Long term alcohol use will shrink your brain, if it doesn't shut down your liver first (happened to me oldest sister in her 50's, RIP) but you can go to walmart & pick out your favorite in all kinds of fruity fun colors.

Yea my father has been smoking since he was a kid, and he’s much sharper than most from what I can see. I don’t buy this for a second.

On top of that, cannabinoids can induce neurogenesis so not sure what to believe.

I wonder what kind of use was considered for this study.. Are we talking people that smoke 10 blunts a day? Where’s the cut off on frequency.

-GC

Another thing - Were the users still using cannabis when tested? Most studies I've seen show small cognitive deficits in users that disappear completely within a month of completely abstaining from cannabis.

I cannot access the full study text so not sure.

I am not surprised. It makes sense to me, if just because it makes people less likely to use their brains in a highly cognitive sense. Neurons that fire together, wire together--my good ol' pal Hebb, 1949.

That’s a fair point. The laziness and sedation it can cause in many could lead to less cognitive stimulation. I can get onboard with that.

People need to put down the Doritos and pick up books. I was the weirdo 15yr old smoking weed out of my water bottle bong with the marker down stem and aluminum foil “slider” who would then go read for hours after. Cannabis at that age got me really day dreamy about future goals. I’d read cannabis growing books trying to master the skill before I even really began growing.

-GC

Last edited:
Its obvious that any mid-strong psychoactive sustance long-term use/abuse, will change the results in the IQ tests, generally, maybe lower results, becouse the IQ test are mainly about logic.

Visual then "sensorial?" logic, problem ressolution via logic non-complex process, not learned knowledge.

I have a VERY high IQ, well... i took 5 different tests in 1 and a half year, that was when i was about 15, exactly when the drug and alcohol use/abuse, always taking so much care and knowing my drug and my body, but commonly abusing them at high doses, or very commonly in high dose combos for days in a row, then polydrug addiction for years.
OFFTOPIC
Until today... still using almost daily methamphetamine, im proud of my dosage reduction, i have 18 months "reducing" my dose, and yes i was using almost a gram daily of extremely pure meth (my city is one of the golden triangle of the worldwide illegal drugs commerce, and administration of the production at other areas of the globe, so, its sad, and disgusting, that illegal drugs are very easy to get here, really easy, you see the dealers in local commerce houses with slot machines to bet with real money, 4x4 and all-terrain vehicles, 5 motorcycles outside, ad few guys smoking weed or drinking at the night, open 24/7, i will take a pic of the point nearest of my house then open a new post to stop divaguing here for educational and etretainment prupose to show peculiarity of drug selling in my town. -THE MSG IS CUT HERE, i will continue later in another thread.)

Well, i will do another one when i get clean of high doses of amphetamines, but even with my hardcore 15 years of abuse of my mind and body, without being a total careless, but fuck, i survived strong cocaine-alcohol overdose at the 19s, triggered by uknown but good quality coke 3,500 mg insulfated in less than a min, that disconected me out of the world, and i can do another post about this shit later too lol, incredible how i got lucky or grated to get the god power to let me continue alive without any consecuences even when i never go to an hospital at this, my hardest overdose, not the only one).

Of course that my cognition and person is deteriorated becouse all that, and got much more deterioration at the moment of change my lifestyle, i still have tons of stress and mental problems when im being a productive functional and reincorporated to a different social group, even after that, nowadays i learn daily hearing ebooks, news, studies, forums, at the same time i do bored work, and when im free if im not playin poker, im estudying it, or learning more when i do useless things or domestic bored needs).

I didnt got my biochem engineer title, but i studied for years it and abandon becouse i was making profits in a business, and young plus stupid to think that will last the rest of my life, and becouse my left at the university wasnt formal, i literally just stopped to go at school, and years later they informed me about the procedures at this cases, i cant get back in to complete my studies, but they validate all of them and gave a partial title, that just help a little to incorporate another university and dont repeat with luck 8 months of 4 yrs at study, a useless partial title.

At that moment, i was polydrug user dependant, but i always wanted the balance to let me enjoy and do my school works, being one of the best students of my group, with high general results and super downs when procrastination was the problem, not the lacking of study or practice, i still use to learn skill fast when i put attention and im interested in that, so, this is what the IQ try to emulate, its for me not near intelligence or logic hability, is more like a flexibility of the logic mind process, cuz you have time limits, and is almost sure u will not end a IQ test with time limits, more points the faster you solve the problem, yes, it starts with visual logic excercises, but when you got at the 20 last questions, you can see the deepness of the problem and how every posibility can be a perfect answer, but then, answer speculating to have solved all are ok and explain to yourself why, shows that you havent solved anything yet.

iQ test are little... extrange, far away to determinate the succesfull possibilities of anyone on the life, or the professional successfull and quality of a future professional if they are in the regular iQ results, so, high iQ doesnt determine intelligence at higher scores, is something more, study yourself and you cand see what helped you to get that iQ then discover shit about your akward thinking process lol, that is more funny and makes me .. happier?, i feel i know more myself and understand related things i have done, thats not related with intelligence or "correct" logical resolution, more like flexibility between logics and give value to things that dont have any value, but that random value then play with them... duh its so bored to make exams of hours.

i will do a test when i got more equlibrium at my life, and got more health in general, i didnt take care of me for more than a decade, but still developed skills and have done things that even me didnt want i will got at that point, offering high value as associate or non direct employed, or independient, until nowadays, i have my own business with a brother thats an angel cuz becouse my procrastination problems, i would not do things at time, still i commonly do the works at the night before the client will go and complete the paymets, and they go very happy and come back so we have lot of work well paid, but he supported me when i wasnt able to work, specially cuz my shitty mental health, or few times when i didnt give a fck and go to a binge of 2 days with a girl in a hotel, or maybe guys? lol, forgotting i had professional compromises to do, after good customers get angry and talked to me about that, and even my family, i never understimate the importance of the service im offering, becouse literally can stop a big business to work, or a goverment public activity can not start until i had my work done, the second one didnt happen cuz the pressure of procastinate wass much less when i know i can get angry such important powerfull people (not smart maybe, but with a big ego and power, and money, but smart ppl get advantage of my fails, and i cant identify them, until their arguments and actions gives positive result even with my foult, in any way that can be done, specially economical).

Well.. if like Arrall, i take that studies with minimal importance cuz the multifactorial involved non studied non known or not reported by anyone, or event didnt care, can be factors to determinate a lower iQ, situations that can be prone in weed users, or maybe not....
After the low of integrity of the studies, plus my opinion about IQ test, more related to determination, competitivity, flexibility, awarness and desire are some of the ones that leads to the higher iQ levels, and logic brute process are the scores under 110 of a 120-140 test.

If much, that would be understand as weed can give you a slower logic brute process skill, not lack of the skill, cuz you have to solve the faster you can to know your real iQ level, that needs mental and physiological preparation, and is maybe weed make ppl more prone to get all that factors in a optimum state before the exam, or... maybe is cuz ppl are in that studies doing that test becouse of the MONEY that will get at any result, not with a purely interest in know accurattely whats the iQ test result for personal reasons that lead to make the effort and mind state needed for a good evaluation.

All that points, just resumes that, the scientific process is commonly ignored, integrally, and using techniques like double blind, argument their studies are valid, but any case have their particularities, and in this one, its a shame study of im sure average iQ people, that doesnt even think seriously at factors i have descreipt, and dozens of other ones that i cant imagine, but a group of sciencist yes, and give an importance, then discard or give a value at the studio, its all generalized in ages, education levels, even at races lol, tons of studies are focused on races at the diversity of samples, ye, genetics play an very important role, but in that studies, obviously endeaivour and beliefs take a strong importance over genetics, and there ones are ignored, yeah, its easier to get the results wanted using selected criteria, that its scientific, but imho in a hypocrit/lazy-science, a little more interested in reinfore their group affirmations, to get an economical benefit, that clarify complex things that will lead to non conclusive at all results, and maybe low or no remunerated studies, with a highly scientific procedures and ethics.

So... thats complete BS, mainly cuz the title, the redaction, and the partiality of the claims, combined in iQ as a SUPEROVERESTIMATED test, that most ppl even relate it with inteligence or success, and how that things are important for society, for me is more a fancy test than a scientific one, and any study like that, focused in iQ linked Cannabis usage, its a shame and waste of time and money.

I dont need a study, i have common sense, experience, and naturally can randomly say that yes, IQ WILL DIMINISH in cannabis users, acute dose, long, term, rehab and sober, any of them, will get lower IQ, 1.- cuz they are OLDER months or years, 2.- cuz i know very good the effects of cannabis, the after clean changes in cognitive process, beliefs and habits, for good or for bad, and even if the changes are for good, i highly speculate that maybe 0.1-7% cannabis users will preform same or better at a test after one month/week/year of use, and the rest 93-99.9 will improve worse, its speculation, just things i speculate to show that without that wastefull studies, we already know cannabis will worse IQ results at mostly cases, becouse of the nature psychoactive strong sensorial and perceibed changes, and the envoirment that develops changes too with a person smoke weed, with all the people around demonizing it, or changing their envoirment if thats not under professional control, even a long term non ambulatory study, the high controlled professional envoirment can alter for bad the results of iQ.

And... who gives a f about 10 iq points? i have other 10 to waste if u want i will be over average yeeeah lol, joking, but... iQ is a test, that is far away from real important things in succes, like conciense, character, skills, ejecutive hability, social hability, intrinsecal emotional process, non-concient process of daylife situations and feelings, general mood, that imho all are altered by weed, for good or for bad, and honestly, i trough years have seen a balance in pros and cons, with much more pros in specific situations, of do weed to optimize the previous factors wrote.

Anyway ye weed prones you to have less iQ, i dont need a study for that, and i know there are MUCH MORE things that doesnt need to be consumed daily to destroy your iQ, maybe a loved one death, maybe a rupture relationship, maybe a comment that maked you frustrated and lowed your self steem a little but very deeply, that shit will destroy your iQ, 7 points is a joke, and scientific are more worried about the weed?...

Pseudo-scientific, the partial ones, using the scientific method, without any ethic.

To be honest...

When I smoked as a teenager, it was way more intense. Every time I would get stoned I would see the world different.
I was able to look at movies from a different stand point & see things in ways that I probably wouldn't have seen them if I had not been a stoner.

Like an ordinary movie may be totally brilliant and awe inspiring when stoned to the point where it makes me philosophize.
To me, this expansion of thought should at least, theoretically make people more intelligent or more creative & thought provoking. Not more stupid.

It could also depend on the person as well.

Now that i'm older, weed & thc doesn't hit the same like that & make me see things in that way. I wonder where it went. It does chill me out though & still make things enjoyable. I just don't get the profound epiphanies and realizations like I did when I was younger.

Have you tried to be totally clean of weed for at least few months?, I perfectly understand you, living the same situation, and, honestly, i like more the actual mild effects and more pronunced "stoned" or "anxiety" aspects of weed, its strange, but im sure its about tolerance.

When i had 3-6 months without weed, my first joint would even remember my first ones cuz the flavor, then, that more introspective mild psychodelic effect hits like fck, but... thats just the first time only! maybe the second? idk, but with just 2 or 3 days tolerance comes back, not totally, i really enjoy to be social and i feel enjoy more the life or my moments when im on weed at low tolerance, that can last a week of daily use, then is just the more bored and hedonist effect that i actually have.

This happened at least 3 times, always after months without weed, the first joint is amazing, the next ones are even better cuz are less psycho and strong, and i have much better mood, but with one week smoking it its done, cuz i smoke daily when i smoke, or i dont smoke any of weed if a situation doesnt let me and i wait patiently the next smoke weed everyday lol.

im abusing strong drugs of extreme high quality, several RC IV, etc. etc., and... god, that doesnt make stupid ppl, if you take drugs like thinner, PVC solvent, etc. (was very common to use that shitty drugs in the party and destroy yourself circles that i loved when was younger, yes i abused them too, nothing relevant, hypoxia effects maybe?, but, logically, i was much more stupid before using solvents, becouse only a person who doesnt take care about himself use that shit to get high, and today maybe i will take quetiapine over that, and... im a hater of antipsychotics, already took levomepromazine to quetiapine at least 1 time and just maked me an akward annoying person and i know that so always stopped them, but even just few takes will left me in that disgusting mood for few weeks)

Maybe using less vague metrics of a test that tell you nothing about what people belief about them, for most ppl, iq test can sound like a advanced test done by professionals who estudied deeply your test for nights and concluded a mathematical magnitude of.... IQ.... idk whats IQ, and im sure mostly of us dont know much about the topic, the ppl gives the IQ the meaning that they want to "IQ", its a shame for me to see it at center value of a scientific investigation, doesnt have sense if you know the tests, they are BS, they dont test what the ppl think...

Bless!

^^^^^^dats my nigga lol

ok was a funny comment... but meth can mess with any one, the most problematic drug for me, as alcohol was when younger..., but i never imagned how deep the meth can make me as a person, depressed misserable piece of shit with suicidal toughs focused in smoke and drink, without sense of life, the 2nd girl who lived together with me, left me, the friends, i dont want them cuz all was tweakers and i want to smoke MY METH ALONE, is disgusting to have anyone seeing the pipe waiting to pass to him when i want to smoke like an idiot and maybe barly enjoy it, who the fuck needs ppl when have meth.

I was in a very sad miserable situation 3 years ago, im TOTALLY SURE will no go back... was a nightrame, but im still daily user (4-5 days per week the last month, i started to enjoy even the days i cant get up the bed just to eat like a pig and enjoy insanely the food i can imagine, then i need to get back to work and smoke shit and feel anxious cuz the days of no use but i can start to work, even with "fear"? or wtf is that feeling? its sad, but its like depressive and anxiogenic the first hours, clonazepam doesnt help...., i stop dosing and wait for a more desired efffect after the initial... disphoria?, thats it)

Meth is a really good and useful drug, im not using street shit, here are the biggest labs without cookers, its professional ppl working, trust me when i say that i got obsessed in get good quality shit that almost end in multiple homicide two times... the drug scene here is very... "peculiar", its not about violence or be a macho, but are really serious business, the incomes are incredibly high, and the work is about bribery and have ppl that you can trust they willl be extremely loyal, and when that market with a ridiculous demanding and commercial success, its normal when control a commercial role that gives you the freedom/power over the laws, that is commonly the only thig that stop ppl to do stupid things, well.. when you know these roles gives you real power over money, its logic why people do the most violent and inhuman things to conserve or get back at least part of that power.

That sucks, narco sucks, laws about drug sucks, non mature ppl judging you sucks, but drugs only sucks if you are stupid in the way you use them, who cares about pharmacolofic effects of a drug before taking it? between the million of drug abusers worldwide, just few ones, and thats just common sense... at least i always had that common sense and take care of myself, i want to live, my sis suicided 2 months ago... she was a federal govt representative, deputy is called here, she was honestly the only one at the camera that was doing her work... there are ton of histories, even with her very short career, cuz she decided to go away, i understand how inhuman can be the roles at the high power, i have no hope in some things at this life, and the progress and evolution will not be done via party social politics, she was very hopeless even when she was doing a lot... i dont understand that, cuz she was really doing important things, there are stilll laws to aprove that she left pending, the last one she was working was about adversite the transgenic origin products, transgenic are miserable, and health is nothing, their system of destroy local agriculture when it refuses to buy their seeds and nutrients, who the fuck needs transgenic hyperproduction?, is just a market strategy to get power destroying other ones already hard life, is like forcing someone to give you part of the final money of a hard work just becouse you have the power to sabotage their business/life.

well... this thread was like the couch for me, im sorry lol, sometimes is weed involved, sometimes meth, but finally i get out of the missery hole i caved, and this year has been the happier of my life even with my sister has gone... i already got back all i always tough had lost, my family mainly, mental stability, own business, i still doesnt have so much friends, only my clients lol, its funny to talk with someones with good mood, im very neutral, but with my family, and mental, economical, emotional stability back, im more than happy, even if i dont feel it so much and the meth is still a frustrating piece of shit, when i acept the real value of meth, i will get out of this obsessive dependence that i builded to a such disgusting drug to abuse, besides, their terapheutic, stimulant, mood enhancing effects can be lifesavers to someones, you dont need to abuse the drug to get that benefits, but if you are interested in that benefits, go with a dr., forget about getting street shit at any hour, you really may need someone that controls the supply strictly, its psychologically very addictive when missused, and isnt enjoyable at all... opioids are tons of times much more enjoyable...

meow

I would question the value of IQ tests - I have discussed the issue with experts in the field and they aren't enamoured of the testing. The same person can take the test on 3 different occasions and be assigned quite different values.

Now that i'm older, weed & thc doesn't hit the same like that & make me see things in that way. I wonder where it went.

Tolerance, both physical and behavioral (meaning even if you take long breaks, t will never be a brand new, novel experience for you again, those pathways are already trodden). It's the same reason every drug you do becomes less and less impactful and special once you've done it a lot for a long time.

I smoked every day for many years, when I started, I wrote notebooks full of theories, felt like it was transforming my life and brain. Then it started to just become routine and ordinary. Then it started to give me anxiety suddenly out of nowhere and I almost entirely stopped. Now, on the very rare occasion I do it, it's pretty magical again. I like to use it and read my book, or be in nature, or have discussions, or listen to music. I'll find myself awestruck or crying suddenly. It's still not as powerful as those early days, but it's a hundred times better than when I was smoking daily. Except when it decides to give me anxiety, anyway.

Tolerance, both physical and behavioral (meaning even if you take long breaks, t will never be a brand new, novel experience for you again, those pathways are already trodden). It's the same reason every drug you do becomes less and less impactful and special once you've done it a lot for a long time.

I smoked every day for many years, when I started, I wrote notebooks full of theories, felt like it was transforming my life and brain. Then it started to just become routine and ordinary. Then it started to give me anxiety suddenly out of nowhere and I almost entirely stopped. Now, on the very rare occasion I do it, it's pretty magical again. I like to use it and read my book, or be in nature, or have discussions, or listen to music. I'll find myself awestruck or crying suddenly. It's still not as powerful as those early days, but it's a hundred times better than when I was smoking daily. Except when it decides to give me anxiety, anyway.
While this is true as well, I have noticed & had to ask doctors if our bodies change as we age and can impact how we experience drugs.

I don't know if it was just tolerance because I had been a daily smoker from the ages of 12-to my current age , with some intermittent breaks in between (I'm 34 now).
And I'd say cannabis kept that "philosophical, perspective changing magic" even with daily smoking up until about my early to mid 20's.

Not only is cannabis different now than it use to be (even with tolerance breaks), but so are a lot of drugs, including psychiatric drugs that feel different now.

Buproprion & Venlafaxine were moderately effective for my depression in my mid-late 20's.
Trying them again in my 30's was gross. Felt nothing like I remembered and just made me feel even worse with awful side effects.

Benzos also don't feel the same at all, even with extended tolerance breaks. In my early 20's taking a benzo use to make me almost manic for 2 hours & really creative. Especially in the doing vocals department. But then I got on them in my 30's for genuine anxiety/panic attacks and I can hardly tell I've taken them most of the time except that they help my anxiety lower & can make me a bit drowsy.

I think in some cases, it could be that people's liver enzymes change over time, which can affect how drugs affect them. Although that wouldn't impact things like cannabis, I do think a form of environmental/behavioral tolerance can develop & impact as well too. And possibly even the structures of our brains.