• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Long term bad effects 20 years of use .....a cautionary tale

I wouldn't label something a "false meme" if the evidence isn't conclusive either way,.

The evidence is definitive re: serotonin synthesis and recovery.

As far as receptor densities -- they are using a surrogate way to measure receptor density -- not a direct measurement -- binding affinity could be affected, causing lower binding and making it SEEM like there are lower densities.

Regardless, there is no established populational mean and SD for serotonin levels, receptor densities, etc in the general human population.

Furthermore, the fact that diet, herbs, and other factors can directly and acutely affect receptor endocytosis through the beta arrestin/dynamin pathway -- it is bad science to lay surrogate determined receptor density deltas solely at the feet of MDMA use.

Individuals with normally low receptor densities may be pre-disposed to use MDMA.

Extrapolating axonal damage and other neurotoxic effects seen in animal models of MDMA overdose to human recreational use is ALSO BAD SCIENCE.

The literature is littered with cancer treatments and other investigational medications that cure rodents/primates -- yet are non or poorly functional in human.

The evidence is definitive re: serotonin synthesis and recovery.

VMAT2 inhibition is a vital mechanism for amphetamine/MDMA induced neurotransmitter efflux, the way VMAT2 inhibition works is by interfering with the transport of neurotransmitters into the vesicles, causing cytosolic levels of 5-HT to rise (the 5-HT is then transported out of the cytosol via a reverse conformation SERT). Vesicular depletion is seen with VMAT2 inhibtion. If MDMA wasn't causing depletion of synaptic levels of 5-HT starting during some timeframe about 3 hours after administration (Where SSRI administration is still neuroprotective), there really wouldn't be uptake of harmful molecules in the nerve terminal via SERT that can be prevented with 5-HTP administration (see Nichols study below). The idea is that the deficit of 5-HT means that there is decreased competition for access to the SERT, so other molecules can gain access during whatever timeframe there are lower 5-HT levels with higher levels of harmful molecules.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16835371/ - "Second, our data strongly suggest that amphetamine-type agents deplete vesicular neurotransmitter via a carrier-mediated exchange mechanism"

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=AE2D45703D4177D327A64AE5CF540CFE.f03t03 - "Depletion of vesicular 5-HT, by inhibition of vesicular monoamine transporter type 2 with tetrabenazine prevented the release. Thus although the SERT reversal contributes, a direct vesicle-depleting action is essential for MDMA release of 5-HT."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7934616 (Nichols) - "Attenuation of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) induced neurotoxicity with the serotonin precursors tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan." "These results suggest that depletion of 5-HT stores is important for MDMA-induced neurotoxicity. The possible significance of this 5-HT depletion in MDMA-induced serotonergic terminal degeneration is also discussed."

As far as receptor densities -- they are using a surrogate way to measure receptor density -- not a direct measurement -- binding affinity could be affected, causing lower binding and making it SEEM like there are lower densities.
Regardless, there is no established populational mean and SD for serotonin levels, receptor densities, etc in the general human population.
Furthermore, the fact that diet, herbs, and other factors can directly and acutely affect receptor endocytosis through the beta arrestin/dynamin pathway -- it is bad science to lay surrogate determined receptor density deltas solely at the feet of MDMA use.

Radioligands are used all the time to determine receptor expression and affinity, yes radioligand binding assays are not completely direct but they are still very useful, and 5-HT2A upregulation is still a useful marker to detect whether or not there is decreased 5-HT release. In this case upregulation of occipital cortex 5-HT2A in abstinent MDMA users has been seen in 2 different studies now that I'm aware of.

5-HT2A upregulation is a known consequence of decreased 5-HT release, acutely decreased 5-HT2A via downregulation after use of a drug that releases serotonin en masse is not surprising and is a good explanation for why decreased 5-HT2A is observed in people recently using MDMA. When you say "binding affinity could be affected", this still implies that there are functional consequences to MDMA use, and regardless of whether 5-HT2A/D2 heterodimers etc are forming with acute use, that scenario still agrees with my notion that there are changes that occur with recent MDMA use and its probably best to spread your use out and not use tons every single weekend.

Saying something akin to "Something about the MDMA users recent behavior caused apparently lower 5-HT2A expression and we're not sure if its MDMA" doesn't make sense in the context of use of a SRA. Why bother trying to explain away acute downregulation of 5-HT2A with things like diet when they just used a serotonin releasing agent? You really think diet is going to be more important in determining 5-HT2A expression than whether or not they just used MDMA?

Individuals with normally low receptor densities may be pre-disposed to use MDMA.
Extrapolating axonal damage and other neurotoxic effects seen in animal models of MDMA overdose to human recreational use is ALSO BAD SCIENCE.

Pre-existing low 5-HT2A receptor expression doesn't explain why 5-HT2A expression in MDMA users that have been abstinent is actually measured to be higher than recent users and controls.

I'm not extrapolating to general human recreational use and certainly not responsible psychotherapeutic use, I'm concerned with severe adolescent abuse in populations predisposed to neuropsychiatric/neurodegenerative disease. We don't have long term data (Even though this thread is about a long term user having issues) so I'm suggesting we remain skeptic and cautious. I've said repeatedly the evidence is not conclusive either way, and that the harm-reductionist stance is to err on the side of caution, instead of acting like weekly abuse of MDMA for decades will have zero consequences for all people.

The literature is littered with cancer treatments and other investigational medications that cure rodents/primates -- yet are non or poorly functional in human.

That's why empirical evidence and the peer review process is so important - we need more empirical evidence and longitudinal studies before we can make any conclusions. Until then I remain skeptic and I suggest you do too. The case reports of neuropsychiatric disease after MDMA go back as far as the 1980s. "Post LSD visual syndrome" has been recognized for a long time as well, and many people have reported HPPD from MDMA. Its also been recognized in the literature by one study in particular that MDMA can cause HPPD https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24933532

I understand there is poor quality evidence in support of some treatments, but I'm not saying "Go do this cancer treatment even though we don't know the risks", I'm saying "Don't do too much MDMA because we don't know the risks", its the completely inverse principle. Although I should point out that enough people have anecdotally reported adverse effects from MDMA that we know it has some risks. That doesn't mean it will happen to every person.

I'm saying "Don't do too much MDMA because we don't know the risks", its the completely inverse principle.

I'm saying the same thing.

Many posters on this board post that there is definitive damage and hyperinnervation caused by normal recreational doses (read: a single 1.5 -2mg per kg dose , ~ 120-200 mg).

I'm simply pointing out that there is no such evidence.

There is also NO EVIDENCE that the delta between controls and users re: serotonergic activity -- is outside the normal range of activity in humans .

Anyone who says that 10, 15, 20 , or even 50 persons used as controls is sufficient to characterize the mean and SD 5HT2 activity in the human population is scientifically illiterate -- or being intentionally disingenuous.

Anyone that says 10, 15, 20 , or even 50 current or previous MDMA users can characterize the mean and SD 5HT2 activity in the MDMA user population is scientifically illiterate -- or being intentionally disingenuous.

Investigational drugs usually require THOUSANDS of test subjects

I'd like to see the raw numbers instead of age and estrogen adjusted numbers from the study -- not just mean and SD but MIN and MAX -- I suspect there is a significant overlap and that the min for controls is likely very close to the min for users -- same for the max

The researchers are not lying per se -- but presenting the data to further their agenda.

Remember, with sample sizes in the teens, overlaps between the mean and 2 sigma basically say that both samples come from the same population -- (which means MDMA use didn't actually cause activity to fall outside normal human range)

+/- 2 SD is 95% of the population

I'm saying the same thing.

Many posters on this board post that there is definitive damage and hyperinnervation caused by normal recreational doses (read: a single 1.5 -2mg per kg dose , ~ 120-200 mg).

I'm simply pointing out that there is no such evidence.

Well I think many people say they have "damage", which they use as an umbrella term because they don't know what the heck has happened to their mind, but I'm not aware of too many people saying "I've got midbrain serotonin hyperinnervation from taking 120mg MDMA one single time". If you're referring to specifically the OP, we should keep in mind she was a chronic user of MDMA, and who knows whether or not her usage got crazy.

As far as "I'm simply pointing out that there is no such evidence", there is actually some evidence of altered thalamic coherence in MDMA users (using poly-drug users as controls) that resembles altered thalamic coherence after remitted depression patients undergo tryptophan depletion https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3224864/ So its not like there is zero evidence of midbrain/thalamic serotonergic dysfunction in human MDMA abusers.

You can certainly label the evidence as "low quality evidence" etc if you like because of low sample size but passing off everything as statistically insignificant or passing it off as due to confounding factors isn't erring on the side of caution.

15 people per arm of the study is not ideal but its what we've got to work with. We should be thankful we have any fMRI and nuclear imaging data at all. As I've said earlier, a small population size also means that we could be leaving out the severely affected heavy MDMA abusers, and there could be other recruitment issues along those lines. It might only be 1/50 heavy MDMA users that are really affected.

"Investigational drugs usually require THOUSANDS of test subjects"

Someone recently told me that safety isn't even fully evaluated until phase IV trials because the rare side effects aren't very often caught even in phase II/III - SJS etc from sodium channel antagonists comes to mind. Phase II/III can pick up the common side effects, but the rare side effects often slip through those trials. I would love to have thousands of people participate in a longitudal study because then the people that we hear about anecdotally with these adverse effects could actually be represented.

If the uncommon MDMA reaction colloquially known as an LTC (A severe LTC, with things like HPPD, derealization/depersonalization, insomnia, depression/anhedonia, cognitive/memory issues, persistent brain zaps, basically not a willy-nilly "I had anxiety for a few weeks because I was worried about brain damage" LTC) could actually be represented in these studies, who knows how it would shift the data when a group of "LTC sufferers" is averaged against controls and drug using controls or modify our view when it comes to MDMA being able to have a significant deleterious effect on a small population.

Its also possible that there are issues outside of serotonergic neurons, issues with parvalbumin positive GABA interneurons have been shown with animals given MDMA and these particular GABA interneurons are theorized to play a role in HPPD as well as mental illness. They can be quite finicky, but we won't ever have good data on this until we have autopsies of heavy MDMA users. And even with autopsies people are going to say "They were 65 years old, Alzheimer's pathology was starting to set in, they had pre-existing issues".

As far as "I'm simply pointing out that there is no such evidence", there is actually some evidence of altered thalamic coherence in MDMA users (using poly-drug users as controls) that resembles altered thalamic coherence after remitted depression patients undergo tryptophan depletion https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3224864/ So its not like there is zero evidence of midbrain/thalamic serotonergic dysfunction in human MDMA abusers.

You can certainly label the evidence as "low quality evidence" etc if you like because of low sample size but passing off everything as statistically insignificant or passing it off as due to confounding factors isn't erring on the side of caution.

Out of multiple frequency bands and after some [uncharacterized] adjustment, they managed to find a single band of the Thalamus connectivity coherence that doesn't explicitly match controls. However, the control mean is still within MDMA users +/- 2SD values.

They admit cocaine use is a confounding factor, which is pretty damning to the idea this study is any good ( it means that it isn't worth the paper they printed the journal article on )

thalamic dysfunction caused by cocaine use

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27074816
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4053644/
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/28562/0000364.pdf?sequence=1
https://www.researchgate.net/public...t_CART_containing_neurons_of_the_hypothalamus
http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/07/29/066647
http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/24246/
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnbeh.2014.00117/full

Verdict: NO EVIDENCE

honestly they should pay back any grant money they used to fund the study

I suspect the reason there are not larger control and user cohorts is that the researchers have found significant overlap with larger samples --

that don't lend themselves to showing a signal in the data

Do you honestly believe the researchers could get 20 people per arm, but could not get 40 or 50?

I have a bridge for sale...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3224864/table/T2/ I'm seeing 4 examples of altered connectivity, with the Left Caudaute and Right Thalamus connectivity being the only significant find (.11 in MDMA users and .86 in controls) at the ultra low frequency band, but there are also some minor variations between other regions at other frequencies and the results are consistently shifted towards hypo-connectivity with the MDMA users, which is important to note even if the shifts themselves aren't incredibly drastic for all results.

Mind you we are not looking for catastrophic neurotoxicity, we're looking for some evidence that it can happen in the heavy abusers.

Regarding the cocaine, this study is using poly-drug controls and there were no significant correlations found with cocaine use. In addition, they were all abstinent from cocaine for quite a long time.

"Other than their MDMA use, the MDMA users differed significantly from the non-MDMA counterparts only in having had greater cocaine exposure (3 of 10 control non-MDMA users reported 3.9 ± 9.7 (as mean ± SD, throughout) episodes for lifetime, using about 1.0 ± 2.8 g, and cocaine abstinence of 399.7 ± 345.0 days prior to study; 9 of 14 MDMA users reported 26.7 ± 33.2 episodes for lifetime, using about 15.4 ± 26.7 g and cocaine abstinence for 676.5 ± 980.1 days; Mann-Whitney test p= 0.022), with no other detected difference in historical abuse.

Percent regional signal change during tapping showed no statistically significant correlations with lifetime use of alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, or methamphetamine. Only lifetime alcohol use correlated with changes in percent activated voxels in a subset of regions (left postcentral and left precentral cortex), in addition to the observed changes correlated with MDMA use."

"Do you honestly believe the researchers could get 20 people per arm, but could not get 40 or 50?

I have a bridge for sale..."

From what I understand the time on fMRI/nuclear imaging machines is pretty valuable. A lot of people want time on those machines and MDMA users are not really the priority. Even a dopamine PET scan for Parkinson's patients can cost upwards of $3000.

Last edited:
From what I understand the time on fMRI/nuclear imaging machines is pretty valuable. A lot of people want time on those machines and MDMA users are not really the priority. Even a dopamine PET scan for Parkinson's patients can cost upwards of $3000.

Executing proper scientific studies costs money. Who knew?

Executing proper scientific studies costs money. Who knew?

Honestly, it is on the same level as this:

For 15 minutes a man watched vehicles going by,

He saw 30 vehicles go by.

There were 15 black cars, and every driver had blond hair.

There 15 red trucks, and every driver had dark hair.

He concludes that everyone that drives a red truck, on that road has dark hair.