• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lofexidine help?

Opiatehell85

Bluelighter
I'm currently on day four CT from a large 900mg a day codeine habit, I have declined subs and methadone but now been offered lofexidine to help me along the way? I don't know much about it can anyone help? She said it will be used under supervision as it can lower your BP. Don't know whether to give it a try, I'm really struggling here. My app is 3pm tomorrow.

Sure I would try it. It's similar to clonidine so may make you sleepy. Too bad you couldn't get it earlier though.
(Homeless ------ > Basic Drug Discussion)

OP, I'm going out on a limb here, as I'd never even heard of this drug before you mentioned it in this thread. I see a lot written regarding it's similarity to Clonidine, which is prescribed commonly for withdrawal of all kinds here in the US. This is a good thing. Now, assuming it is similar to Clonidine in effect, here is what you can expect. A lot of the more pesky symptoms of withdrawal can be somewhat mitigated by the use of these drugs. Sweats, chills and high blood pressure are all symptoms of opioid withdrawal and they can be quite annoying, but my experience with Clonidine is that is helps relieve this overall "tense" feeling that I experience in withdrawal.

You've stated that you're not interested in Methadone or Buprenorphine, so I suppose this drug is a logical choice. Do not expect it to take away your withdrawal. Opioid withdrawal is a harrowing experience, but it will help a little bit and make you more comfortable. I think you should definitely give it a try. Can I ask, are you or your prescriber opposed to benzodiazepines? They can help quite a bit and might even enable you to sleep. They are obviously not related to opioids, so they can be used without affecting or prolonging your withdrawal.

If you can use benzodiazepines responsibly, then I would recommend requesting them as part of your withdrawal regimen. Diazepam (Valium) and Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) are both sensible choices as they are long lasting and can give you some long lasting and stable relaxation, or, at least as close to relaxation as you can get in withdrawal. Sorry to go off topic, I just thought this suggestion might be pertinent to your issue. Good luck and I hope the experience isn't too bad for you. 900mg of Codeine is not a severe habit, but it's all relative and every person experiences withdrawal in their own way.

Hi everyone, great advice as always! I took codeine last night it was just too much for me, I woke this morning with no withdrawal symptoms and I'm still okish now so I'm hoping I haven't messed things up! I didn't take a large dose just 300mg.

I have my app today in the clinic at 3pm, I'm gonna give it a try, if that does fail then subs it is, as I can't go on like this any longer, I'm a mother to a disabled child and his care is my number one priority, I have to do this for him!

I would love some more info regarding subs, how they make u feel, etc. I'm so nervous about them and feel embarrassed to go the pharmacy to get them, this is my biggest barrier in going on something else you see. I'm very stubborn unless it comes to opiates and then I'm weak.

My my clinic did say they would prescribe some diazepam alongside the lofexidine to help my anxiety and sleep, my worst symptom is restless legs but I have gabapentin at home to ease that.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all help given on here xoxo

The diazepam is a nice score. Even during rather intense withdrawals, 20mg of diazepam was always enough to alleviate most of my RLS/Akathisia.

Started lofexidine, absolutely hate it, swollen tongue very sore so think I'll have to come off them, see them again tomorrow! This sucks big time. Make you feel awful, zombie like, dizzy. Close to giving up!