View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

lithium and lsd

user-710

Greenlighter
a few months back swim was on 1200mg of lithium daily and did 500+ug of lsd. Swim had a very intense trip and a seizure. Swim feels like it still fucked them up. is it possible that swim fried out?

We don't use the expression "swim" on Bluelight.

You might find some useful information here:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-there-a-risk-of-getting-seizures-Please-help

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/664736-Question-about-LSD-and-Lithium-Carbonate

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/650769-LSD-Lithium

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/247103-The-Main-LSD-amp-Lithium-Thread

-----

First some background: I had taken LSD about 4 or 5 times before the last occasion, usually around 250-300ug doses, usually with the same friend, and always having a positive experience.

Just a couple days before Christmas last year, I had a couple friends who wanted to try it for the first time. One of them had shroomed before (let's call him Mark), and the other only smoked weed (let's call him Eric). So we all met up at my apartment, popped a 125-150 dose, and started listening to music, watching movies like Yellow Submarine and Alice in Wonderland, jam on the guitar, etc. You know, the good stuff. They felt they wanted a stronger dose so they could get some intense visuals going, so we popped another one and continued our chill session. In the meantime, my sober friend (let's call him Sam) came over to hang out and be our sitter.

After a while, my friend Eric started to look spaced out and wouldn't respond to us at all. He just had this really weird look on his face, like he knew we were speaking to him, but didn't know how to communicate. He would just stare into our eyes with this creepy half-smile. We just decided to ignore it, like he was just stuck in his own world. My friend Mark wanted to go outside and walk around for a bit to expend some of the energy that was pent up in us, so we all put on our shoes and walked to the front door of the apartment, but Eric all of a sudden lost his ability to walk, and just stood in a really weird position, like he was about to take a step but couldn't. We asked if he wanted to go out or stay inside, but no response. We decided it would be in everyone's best interest to just stay inside since he was obviously way too spaced to be out in public. We went back to my room and started watching a concert on my laptop. Eric continued to stare off into space with that weird look on his face. He stood up, looked around, looked in the mirror for a bit, then sat back down.

And then it happened.

He started to have a seizure right when we were peaking on that second hit. His whole face contorted, and his arm was shaking uncontrollably, and he fell to the floor spitting up blood. Mark and I started freaking out, and Sam called 911. We tried giving him water, but he kept writhing on the floor and started banging his head on the dresser until he passed out. When he woke up, he started scrambling for the front door. Still in a fugue state, he was unable to communicate with us, but had what I can only describe as an evil look on his face, like he was going to murder someone. Now, I'm not one to believe in evil spirits or possession or anything like that, but at that moment, I was convinced he was possessed. We tried holding him back, but he eventually overpowered us and made it through the door. I held him back from the street as long as I could, until the ambulance arrived. They strapped him down and took him away to the hospital.

We explained everything that happened to the paramedic. He asked if there was anything else they should know, so I told him I had heard that Eric had had a psychotic break a few years ago, but that he had sought therapy and was doing much better. The paramedic shook his head and said, "and you let him take LSD?" I felt like such an asshole after that, because I really should have been more careful.

Our trips were spiraling downward at that point, so Sam suggested he take us to another friend's apartment to chill out and get out of that environment. We sat down, drank some green tea, and watched some comedy to get our minds off the situation, but our minds were still with Eric, not knowing what was going to happen. Finally, after a few hours, we got a text from Eric, basically apologizing for our night not going as planned. He had been sedated, but was perfectly sober when he woke up, and didn't remember anything from when he entered that fugue state. He remembered us talking about the Fibonacci sequence appearing in nature, and blacked out soon after. After the doctors did some testing to make sure he was okay (they found no signs of permanent brain damage - what a relief!), I had a friend pick him up from the hospital and bring him back to my friend's apartment.

When Eric awoke, the nurse had asked him if he felt a tunneling sensation and weird taste down his throat while tripping. He said he didn't, but that his two friends (Mark and I) did (I have always had this on LSD, as have most of my other friends). According to the nurse, this was a sign of the sheet being laced with rat poison. Not the best thing to hear when you're still tripping...

We looked it up online. Turns out this is a common myth people use to scare others off LSD. But we had no idea what else could have caused such a reaction. I trust my guy wholeheartedly - he's been a friend of mine for the past 4-5 years; I have always gotten my psychs from him, and I know plenty of others who have bought from him as well. I talked to him about what happened, and he told me to ask Eric if he was taking any antidepressant/anti-psychotic/SSRI medication, or if he was epileptic. At first, he said he wasn't on anything, but when I questioned him again, he said, "well, I do take lithium." Did a Google search for "LSD and lithium," and voila - this combination is NOTORIOUS FOR CAUSING FUGUE STATE AND SEIZURES! God dammit, Eric.

I am shaking while writing this. It took me a while to get over the whole situation - I hadn't slept the entire night after that trip, until 11pm the following night, as I kept seeing visions of his seizure and that evil look in his eye when he got up. For a while when he was still in the hospital, I started giving into paranoia and delusions of him being dead, and this evil spirit trying to take over my body. I don't know how many of you have experienced bad trips, but I would never wish this on my worst enemy. Needless to say, I'm going to have to stay away from psychedelics for a long, long time.

This whole night could have been avoided had I known he was taking lithium in the first place. I always check to make sure there are no drug interactions before taking any strong chemicals. So please, before you or your friends ever decide to try it for the first time, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON LITHIUM! And also please remember that these are strong chemicals that can cause severe reactions in people who are mentally unstable, so if you have heard of even the slightest psychotic episode or history of psychosis, do not be an idiot like I was and let your friend take LSD, or any psychedelic for that matter (unless of course you are running some sort of experimental psychiatric institute...) Be smart, and be safe.

TL;DR LSD and lithium are a dangerous combination that is notorious for causing fugue state and seizures. DO NOT take or administer LSD to yourself or anyone who is taking lithium or has had psychotic episodes in the past. My friend ended up in the hospital, while my other friend and I spent a night in terror worried about him. Be smart, be safe.

-throwaway_naut

Last edited: