• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Lion's Mane Mushroom contains a kappa-opioid agonist, is it addictive?

wonderG

Greenlighter
So Lion's Mane Mushroom ( hericium erinaceus ) is being promoted as a neutropic because there is some research that indicates it increases the amount of a protein called Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) which in turn increases neuronal outgrowth. Research done into hallucinogens such as psilocybin and LSD also indicate their usage increases neuronal outgrowth, the science here is still undecided as the quality and amount of the research done so far is not enough to call it strong science and it's still unclear of increased neuronal outgrowth is a negative or positive and what the potential side-effects of this has on the brain and psyche.

The active NGF ingredient in Lion's Mane Mushroom is a molecule called Erinacine A ( https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Erinacine-A ,) but it also contains several other erinacines, one of which is called Erinacine E ( https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/73082498 ) which is listed as a kappa-opiod agonist ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Κ-opioid_receptor#Agonists ), iow. Erinacine E activates the k-opioid receptor. Erinacine E is a terpenoid, other k-opiod terpenoid agonists is amongst others Salvinorium A and B (from Salvie Divinoruium a well known dissociative hallucinogen) and Menthol.

The question is however is Lion's Mane Mushroom extract addictive as an opioid? Powder from Lion's Mane Mushroom can be bought ranging from 1:1 to 1:8 to even 1:30 extract strength.

Now because I am suffering from drug induced parkinsons from neuroleptics (which I have discontinued usage of eight months ago) I happen to have bought 0,5kg of Lion's Mane Mushroom 1:30 extract before I read about it also containing Erinacine E.

Now I have quite a lot of drug experience from many different drugs, and I must say that Lion's Mane Mushroom does seem to have a weak soft drug effect on me, at 0,5g of 1:30 extract mixed out with hot water I do notice some weak dissociative effects while awake, and vivid dreams at night, although not much if any reduction in pain relief. On day three the vivid dream effect seems to have been reduced. Maybe on a scale of pain relief something comparable to toke of cannabis or a paracetamol, the dissociative effect while napping reminds me of a small dosage very weak acting Salvi Divinorum, colours and focus also seems to change some when awake. I also seem to have been getting nausea and a bit of a anxiety also the day after only three days after starting using this stuff, but that could be for other psychological reasons also and also contribute to my perceived drug effect. I would rate it as feeling a lot softer than cannabis, but the kappa-opiod agonism has me worried it might be addictive and that the nausea, sweating and bit of anxiety is not just caused by it being hellishly hot and humid as well as my PTSD.

I would like to know what experiences other people have with Lion's Mane Mushroom extract? And the answer to the question is Lion's Mane Mushroom extract addictive, so is caution adviced?

Kappa opioid agonism is dysphoric, so it is quite likely not addictive.

These effects seem to be in the range that could be produced by placebo effects. I chow down on lion's mane mushrooms somewhat regularly (because they are tasty), and I have never noticed any drug like effect.

Based on the structural similarity between the erinacines and salvinorin A, I doubt they are very orally active, if at all.

No not addictive but ive heard the theory that excessive endogenous dynorphins (ie, the endogenous peptide ligands for the kappa opioid receptors) may drive certain maladaptive behaviors (like drug use) in an attempt to combat the underlying dysphoria/dissociation that these dynorphins produce. Makes sense to me.

Good to know it's probably not addictive.

I agree it could be within the placebo range of experiences.

I will be reducing the dosages and see if that stops the nausea.

Also will continue to not ingest any alcohol and drugs like I haven't for the the past seven years (caffeine and chocolate included).

I’ll be honest, I’m pretty sensitive and I feel something on Lions Mane.

Wouldn’t really call it much of a drug though, I just become somewhat motivated and stimulated like I drank some coffee and my day is often productive. My mood is noticeably lifted. I then notice a rebound effect the day after where I feel tired and groggy.

Nothing like the only other kappa agonist I’ve tried, Salvia divinorum.

-GC

Good to know it's probably not addictive.

Most certainly not. Selective KOR agonists like salvinorin arent known to produce dependence and may have anti-addictive qualities. At the same time the stress effects that the endogenous ligands produce may be complicit in a bunch of addictive behaviors from cocaine to overeating. In fact opioid withdrawal sort of feels like a taking a hit of salvia, uncomfortable, pins and needles, dysphoria, anxiety, feeling cold, (selective KOR agonists decrease body temperature, MOR agonists raise it, at least initially), pain etc. Though KOR agonists do possess analgesic properties i wonder if, at least in animal studies, if its because of the intense discomfort of the kappa agonist that the mice don't realize their tail is being burnt. I remember smoking a bunch of salvia and feeling as if my body was being ripped in half.

Ultimately lions mane has no addictive or reinforcing properties there is nothing to be worried about in that regard. Lions mane made me feel a little weird though.

Could it potentially bring out dependency issues for seasoned opioid users though? Have been thinking about getting some lions mane recently to see if it helps my memory problems caused by benzo withdrawal. I'm on opioids at the moment so it doesn't matter but I'm thinking ahead

An update, I stopped trying to use Lion's Mane-extract during the daytime after a week or so because of side-effects (nausea), but have been using it before bedtime and sleep well on it. I don't notice any withdrawl-effects after two months of usage every night.