• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Likelihood of N-Acetyl Cysteine Mediated Blockade of Dissociative Effects of Ketamine

Amu

Bluelighter
How likely is it for a normal to high dosage of N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) of 1200 mg twice or thrice a day to block the properties of Ketamine, and if so, which ones? Dissociative? Bad After-Effects such as social withdrawal? How about the "fun" color / sound properties?

And lastly, the anti-depressant properties? I've researched NAC quite a bit, and it seems to be hard to pin down the effects. I'll quote wikipedia as it is fairly accurate in this case:

"Acetylcysteine serves as a prodrug to L-cysteine which is a precursor to the biologic antioxidant, glutathione and hence administration of acetylcysteine replenishes glutathione stores. L-cysteine also serves as a precursor to cystine which in turn serves as a substrate for the cystine-glutamate antiporter on astrocytes hence increasing glutamate release into the extracellular space.

This glutamate in turn acts on mGluR2/3 receptors, and at higher doses of acetylcysteine, mGluR5. Glutathione also modulates the NMDA receptor by acting at the redox site. Acetylcysteine also possesses some anti-inflammatory effects possibly via inhibiting NF-κB and modulating cytokine synthesis. It may also facilitate dopamine release in certain brain areas."

I wouldn't expect it to cause much blockade if any. Ketamine blocks the effect of the NMDAr regardless of glutamate concentration.

The racetam nootropics sometimes have a weird dissociative blocking effect (it is not really reliable, but was nevertheless interesting to see that even high doses of MXE can get blocked nearly completely). Don't know if this is related though.

I wouldn't expect it to cause much blockade if any. Ketamine blocks the effect of the NMDAr regardless of glutamate concentration.

But it can help to have an healthy glutamergic system isn't it? I found that supplementing in Mg, Zn, VitC and NAC to help tremendously with brain fog after dissociative use/abuse.