View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Light for shrooms

Fetus Fetish

Bluelighter
My jars are almost completely colonized and I'm about to put them in my fruiting chamber. I know light is needed to initiate pinning but after they start pinning can I keep them in complete darkness or with maybe an hour or less of light everyday once they start pinning.(I can't have them out in the open right now I have them stashed in my closet)

I would definitely reference the material quoted by JAG but the short answer is:

Mushrooms do not really require light in the way plants do. They do not require it for the synthesis of food as they consume organics more like an animal then a plant in that regard. They do require small amounts of light to in a sense "know" for sure which way up is (i think they use gravity mostly) and other minor things, probably need it for secondary metabolites etc, but since its not a major constituent of their existence you should get away with the light from fanning off the CO2 as you will need to do that a few times anyway or they will suffocate. In my real world experience that was more then enough for them to come out way better then i ever imagined.

Ok fetus fetish today is your lucky day, cause I just grew a heap of mushrooms this summer, doing exactly what you are doing. Here are my tips from here on out to grow enormous mushrooms in large amounts. First of all, once the cakes are fully colonized, take the cakes out of the jars, place them in a one quart sandwich bag and fill it with water, zipping it shut. Make it full so that the cake is surrounded. Put each cake in the refrigerator for between 16 and 20 hours. Be meticulous about the time. Figure out when you are going to take them out, before you put them in and stick to it. This will rehydrate your cakes, and the cold water will shock the cakes into producing mushrooms. My first batch this summer, I didn't do this, and the mushrooms were small and reedy.(three inches long and thin) After I picked em' I did this process and the mushrooms were gigantic and fat! six or seven inches long and as thick as your thumb. The cold water immersion slows them down from fruiting for a day or two, but it is about ten times as effective in growing mushrooms. In fact, you should do this process between each flush as well. O.K. Now as far as the sunlight goes. I spoke to the people who made the mushroom kits about this. They said "Roughly eight hours a day in the fruiting chamber." It does not have to be direct sunlight, but you want it to be in a place where natural light, (Or growing lights) are in the room getting to the mushrooms. I had my fruiting chamber in the center of a room that got plenty of light. the mushrooms don't use photosynthesis, but my experience this summer told me that they really appreciate the sunlight, and the sunlight has a big effect on their whole vibe. Get them plenty of light. Also, don't know if you have a pump to put fresh air in the chamber, but if you do, leave it on twice a day for an hour. If you don't take the top off twice a day and fan your cakes. You just want them oxygenated. HERE ARE TWO MORE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT things to monitor. Temperature and humidity. You want the temp in the chamber to be between 75 and 78 degrees. Any colder or much hotter and it will slow down the growth, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you want your humidity in the chamber to be between 85 and 95 percent. I was up around 95 the whole time and it was awesome! You can get a thermostat that tells you the temp and humidity. Use it, I think the more meticulous you are the more successful you are. I got three flushes from this process and I got well over three ounces of dried mushrooms. It was crazy. They just keep growing and growing. Another hot tip. Play music that you like around them. Treat them like you care about them, make rituals in their care, it makes a total difference. Psilocybin is really really powerful. The spirit of the mushroom is strong. Make sure you are respecting it all times. PM me if you have any further questions...

Ok fetus fetish today is your lucky day, cause I just grew a heap of mushrooms this summer, doing exactly what you are doing. Here are my tips from here on out to grow enormous mushrooms in large amounts. First of all, once the cakes are fully colonized, take the cakes out of the jars, place them in a one quart sandwich bag and fill it with water, zipping it shut. Make it full so that the cake is surrounded. Put each cake in the refrigerator for between 16 and 20 hours. Be meticulous about the time. Figure out when you are going to take them out, before you put them in and stick to it. This will rehydrate your cakes, and the cold water will shock the cakes into producing mushrooms. My first batch this summer, I didn't do this, and the mushrooms were small and reedy.(three inches long and thin) After I picked em' I did this process and the mushrooms were gigantic and fat! six or seven inches long and as thick as your thumb. The cold water immersion slows them down from fruiting for a day or two, but it is about ten times as effective in growing mushrooms. In fact, you should do this process between each flush as well. O.K. Now as far as the sunlight goes. I spoke to the people who made the mushroom kits about this. They said "Roughly eight hours a day in the fruiting chamber." It does not have to be direct sunlight, but you want it to be in a place where natural light, (Or growing lights) are in the room getting to the mushrooms. I had my fruiting chamber in the center of a room that got plenty of light. the mushrooms don't use photosynthesis, but my experience this summer told me that they really appreciate the sunlight, and the sunlight has a big effect on their whole vibe. Get them plenty of light. Also, don't know if you have a pump to put fresh air in the chamber, but if you do, leave it on twice a day for an hour. If you don't take the top off twice a day and fan your cakes. You just want them oxygenated. HERE ARE TWO MORE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT things to monitor. Temperature and humidity. You want the temp in the chamber to be between 75 and 78 degrees. Any colder or much hotter and it will slow down the growth, and MOST IMPORTANTLY you want your humidity in the chamber to be between 85 and 95 percent. I was up around 95 the whole time and it was awesome! You can get a thermostat that tells you the temp and humidity. Use it, I think the more meticulous you are the more successful you are. I got three flushes from this process and I got well over three ounces of dried mushrooms. It was crazy. They just keep growing and growing. Another hot tip. Play music that you like around them. Treat them like you care about them, make rituals in their care, it makes a total difference. Psilocybin is really really powerful. The spirit of the mushroom is strong. Make sure you are respecting it all times. PM me if you have any further questions...
Thanks for all the very helpful info I will make sure to do this