• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Life can be so beautiful sober

harbivores

Bluelighter
Cmon man substances are only temporary relief what’s the point in taking something that will just wear off in a couple hours? Whatever problems you may have substances won’t do anything to fix it. All your doing is putting money in the pocket of those selling the substance. Life can be so beautiful when you are sober.

Because some of us have chronic, severe mental illness that can't be fixed?
I do get what you're saying but, for example, without Sertraline (Zoloft) I'd kill myself. Without Thorazine and Gabapentin I'd kill my family.
I've been on opioids for 10 years and I never intend to not be on them.
All of those are free, of course, as I have prescriptions.

I've also BEEN sober and can say with 100% conviction that I'd rather die.

If someone can enjoy life sober, that's amazing! Great for them! But it's not possible for some of us.

A year ago I'd scoff at your post and chop up more powder. Having been sober for a while now, I agree. Sure, it's heavier. It's more misery, more toil.
But that joy and happiness that comes from other things than drugs are so much more worthwhile. Took me a while to reach this point though.

Because some of us have chronic, severe mental illness that can't be fixed?
I do get what you're saying but, for example, without Sertraline (Zoloft) I'd kill myself. Without Thorazine and Gabapentin I'd kill my family.
I've been on opioids for 10 years and I never intend to not be on them.
All of those are free, of course, as I have prescriptions.

I've also BEEN sober and can say with 100% conviction that I'd rather die.

If someone can enjoy life sober, that's amazing! Great for them! But it's not possible for some of us.
I totally agree with everything you say here. In my previous post I was more thinking about abusing drugs recreationally.

Problem is it can take forever for the brain to rewire and re-adjust to life without drugs

I'm 31 days sober now and not sure how much longer I can do this

I'm probably getting back on benzos within the next month

Yes I will probably die but the urge to abuse them is still quite strong

:(
Yeah man, benzos are so fucking rough. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way. I hope you can get some support.
I mean, like @ChemicallyEnhanced said, some people require medicine. Ain't nothing wrong and no shame in that at all.

Cmon man substances are only temporary relief what’s the point in taking something that will just wear off in a couple hours? Whatever problems you may have substances won’t do anything to fix it. All your doing is putting money in the pocket of those selling the substance. Life can be so beautiful when you are sober.
Well said I agree one hundred percent

It hurts more to be sober in my experience.
But sure, if ya can live the sober life god bless. I cannot/will not do it. Been there and I see way too much that I do not care to see.
I do keep usage way down, though (relative to past decades). Guess trying to find that balance Im always on about.
The streets are gold... they just been piled high with bullshit and we now walk through mountains of shit and try to make some sense of it.
Find your beauty and hold it, love. Cause everything is transient.

If I could handle drugs without going overboard, I'd stay on them too. They make life easier for me. But I just ca
If I could handle drugs without going overboard, I'd stay on them too. They make life easier for me. But I just can't.
I always go from getting my life together getting a decent job to going off the rails overdoing everydrug then spending all my food and rent money and have to relie on shoplifting to eat and end up losing good jobs due to sick days so being so ber isnt too bad I guess

I always go from getting my life together getting a decent job to going off the rails overdoing everydrug then spending all my food and rent money and have to relie on shoplifting to eat and end up losing good jobs due to sick days so being so ber isnt too bad I guess
Story of my life too man. Sober bores me, but drugs kill me.

I totally agree with everything you say here. In my previous post I was more thinking about abusing drugs recreationally.

Yeah. I mean, my life is WAYYYYYY better without alcohol.
I do abuse the opioids, too (like the DHC, I'm prescribed 8 a day, but take like 14-28, plus codeine, plus morphine). But I don't want to not do it.

Yeah man, benzos are so fucking rough. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way. I hope you can get some support.
I mean, like @ChemicallyEnhanced said, some people require medicine. Ain't nothing wrong and no shame in that at all.

Agreed. The ONLY reason I'm currently able to live without benzo's is because I'm on Sertraline, Trazodone, Quetiapine, Thorazine and Gabapentin.

It can be. Hard to get to that point of acceptance sometimes. I know I struggle with it daily. Things could be better, but being sober I actually have a plan for my life, as opposed to when I was using, I was just floating from one high to the next with no real aspirations for the future.

Ya I am on a dead end road using any and all mind altering substances at present life has me screaming up at the heavens these days

Heaven brought punishment I cracked what on Earth makes me think I deserve more force cannot bring true riches?

Nor can a life of intoxication bring me true beauty and meaningful connection I am allergic to Bohemia it turns out.

Someone like Raja Ram claims psychedelics gave him his spine and that psy parties are most important for healing and uplifting humankind yet I seem to have had the idea they are right for me bursted like an ephemeral bubble