• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Life after Recovery. What will it be like?

S8870

Greenlighter
This is my first post, I’m new. I’ve taken up to 120 mg of hydrocodone a day for the last two years. Currently I’m looking for treatment programs and my insurance doesn’t cover them. A 28 day stay is about $15,000 dollars however someone is supposed to call me tomorrow about the different programs they offer and I will make a decision based on that. They are calling me for an assessment so I’ll know more then. I’m ready to kick these pills to the curb but I can’t remember what life felt like before the pills became a big part of it. I don’t take them for pain, just to get high. What was your life like after you quit? How did things change? Were you surprised at how you felt? Thanks for any input.

Hey @S8870 welcome to Bluelight. :)
I give it to you wanting to get off the pain pills, that is some bugger shit.
What I needed was a long term treatment center, something that 6-9 months long because I knew a 30 day rehab wasn't going to be long enough.
My big thing was alcohol but I also had a problem with drugs. I say alcohol because Everytime I drank I wanted to do drugs, so at first I didn't think that I had a problem with alcohol until I started to see myself drinking multiple times a day.
I am now going on 4 years without a drink or a drug, and now I am starting to get some things back that I had given away so freely in my addiction.

Something that you might benefit from could be a medical detox and the second you complete detox you will have it set up that you will go straight into a long-term program.
There are several free programs like that all over the country (I am guessing you live in the states).
Have you been looking into any programs like that in your area?

Hey S8870 - welcome to Bluelight!

I'll shoot this over to Health and Recovery where you'll get more support. D's is the man though and knows what he's talking about.

Peace.

What I needed was a long term treatment center, something that 6-9 months long because I knew a 30 day rehab wasn't going to be long enough.
My big thing was alcohol but I also had a problem with drugs. I say alcohol because Everytime I drank I wanted to do drugs, so at first I didn't think that I had a problem with alcohol until I started to see myself drinking multiple times a day.
I am now going on 4 years without a drink or a drug, and now I am starting to get some things back that I had given away so freely in my addiction.

Something that you might benefit from could be a medical detox and the second you complete detox you will have it set up that you will go straight into a long-term program.
There are several free programs like that all over the country (I am guessing you live in the states).
I second this. u can't recover from "years" of abuse in just 4 weeks. That would be a fucking miracle, you need to do therapy sessions, detox ur body, learn how to live without drugs for a while. At the very least you need 3-6 months. Good thing is you took the first step and accepted you have a problem. Good luck

Reactions: Ds

[/QU

I applaud you on your sobriety!! Congratulations!! I am just now looking into treatment and I have an assessment call coming in about 1 1/2 hours from now. It will be the first time I’ve talked about options, what’s offered and after care. I will find out a lot more after this phone call this morning. What I’m scared of is that I’ve been being treated for major depressive disorder, anxiety, ocd and panic attacks for over 30 years. I have a fantastic psychiatrist I go to and I stay current and on top of all my meds faithfully. I have never abused them and even though my doctor of 15 years says we can go one year without a visit I go every 6 months whether I need to or not. I take my illness very seriously because I’ve been ill long enough to know what happens if I slip up. My psych does not know about my addiction. I’ve been with her for almost 20 years and I’m ashamed of it.

My worry is I’ll go into treatment and they’re going to fuck with my meds. I’m on a good combination right now and that aspect of my life is going well. I’m terrified of changing any of it. Again, I do not abuse them and I take that part of my life very seriously. I don’t want another doctor coming in and trying to clean house.

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. God bless....

Th
Hey S8870 - welcome to Bluelight!

I'll shoot this over to Health and Recovery where you'll get more support. D's is the man though and knows what he's talking about.

Peace.
Thank you!!

By the way, I’m in San Antonio, Texas US

I second this. u can't recover from "years" of abuse in just 4 weeks. That would be a fucking miracle, you need to do therapy sessions, detox ur body, learn how to live without drugs for a while. At the very least you need 3-6 months. Good thing is you took the first step and accepted you have a problem. Good luck

12 months I would say, that's enough. But yeah, you should bite the most out of life. Life's beautiful.

12 months I would say, that's enough. But yeah, you should bite the most out of life. Life's beautiful.
It depends I've Been to rehab 4 times, the first 2 times 9 months esch but i didn't want to change so it was a waste of money altogether. Anyway i was a 20 yo immature fuck up. Now I'm More stabilized, addiction Is fucking horrible . Especially opiate addiction.

It depends I've Been to rehab 4 times, the first 2 times 9 months esch but i didn't want to change so it was a waste of money altogether. Anyway i was a 20 yo immature fuck up. Now I'm More stabilized, addiction Is fucking horrible . Especially opiate addiction.
How did you feel after your last successful stint in rehab? I can’t even remember what I was like before. How life felt, you know? Did you have more energy? Could you tell a difference in yourself?

How did you feel after your last successful stint in rehab? I can’t even remember what I was like before. How life felt, you know? Did you have more energy? Could you tell a difference in yourself?
ofc i was back 99% into my old self, sadly psychologically i was fucking still addicted to the core to opiates. i Relapsed like 3 days after getting out :/ but yeah i definitely felt normal after 9 months clean. eeven less at the 4 month mark+ i couldn't tell any diff. :p

Hi S8870

I can relate to what you're asking. I have found myself Googling things like 'life after addiction' and 'opiate timeline' recently, to try and get some answers. Needless to say I haven't had much luck! I would say that sobriety, recovery - whatever you want to call it - is a very subjective experience.

Once the pain of the physical addiction passes you're going to be confronted with the emotional side of things. This is why being in therapy and having other support mechanisms is so important.

I won't lie, it's not easy but in my opinion it is a damn site better than the daily grind of addiction.

Being present on this forum should help as you'll find people you can relate to which is a massive help.

This is my first post, I’m new. I’ve taken up to 120 mg of hydrocodone a day for the last two years. Currently I’m looking for treatment programs and my insurance doesn’t cover them. A 28 day stay is about $15,000 dollars however someone is supposed to call me tomorrow about the different programs they offer and I will make a decision based on that. They are calling me for an assessment so I’ll know more then. I’m ready to kick these pills to the curb but I can’t remember what life felt like before the pills became a big part of it. I don’t take them for pain, just to get high. What was your life like after you quit? How did things change? Were you surprised at how you felt? Thanks for any input.
Alright so I was a 10 year IV opiate user. Frequent benzos abuser for that time and alcoholic as well.

I got sober in 2015 thanks to severe judicial intervention. I am 5 1/2 years off opiates. 3 1/2 years off alcohol and I slipped on benzos this summer after 3 years but now clean from those since december

I preface this so you know where its coming from.

Its gonna be boring, anxiety ridden, sporadic bouts of depression. Everything you have been running from will come to the front and that's a good thing.

Addiction is a result from trauma. Most likely childhood trauma. Deep seeded shit.

You will need a support group, you will need to change people, places and things.

You will need to accept your part in everything

You will need to address your resentments and find out what drives you to use and address those issues with some sort of therapeutic outlet.

It's going to be very uncomfortable in a number of ways but that's a good thing.

Once you accept reality and tear away your ego and accept life as it is and accept your true self it's such a freeing experience. Its cliche as fuck buts its true.

This is not going to go away. It's most likely a life long thing.

AA and NA provide everything that professionals say is required for sobriety.

Also, for me.....life after addiction is simply learning how to live like a normal human being....which is fucking difficult when you spent your formative years being a hethen.

I have been homeless, ridiculously lonely, dealt with WAY too many deaths to mention and have had some heavy shit thrown at me during my almost 6 year journey but my worst day in my "sobriety " truly was 10000000x better than my best day while I was actively using