• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lettuce Opium (lactuca virosa) Using the live plant.

you don't smoking same deal as kratom

"lettuce opium" sucks. even smoking an extract, i felt that chammoile tea was stronger.

don't bother with wild lettuce, it feels nothing close to any opiate and will likely just let you down.

if you want a herbal opiate, try kratom. its WAY better than wild lettuce...

you fucked up the feeling by smoking it, kratom and it share the same principle
the leafs are better and cheaper than exracts and extracs are always missing something, smoking kratom resin, exract doesn't do shit, it is to be ingested and saves you from the drinking kratom, i love kratom and buy i love and buy it by the kg 10x cheaper that way, kratom has two crappy alkaloids and 51 others to cancel out their effects, it helps to stay of dope and mixes good with kava, actually gives it some life, also toss in some lettuce opium, a mild gabcebtric would potentiate the opiate kratom alkaloids and the kava would be the kicker..just like kratom,not for smoking but fun can be had
so get some lettuce opium make a good strong tea and tell all the wiki ekaphase never touched the shit what for!

The active in lettuce opium is not an opioid, it is an enkephalinase inhibitor, which prevents the breakdown of the bodys own endorphins and enkephalins.
I read this some times. But I read this only in internet forums. I searched online but I was not able to find a prove. No scientific texts or something like that.

Where did you read that lactuca virosa is an enkephalinase inhibitor?

The article in the English wikipedia says "acetylcholinesterase inhibitor" and not "enkephalinase inhibitor" which is a big difference.
lactucopicrin, has been shown to act as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor

Any texts on enkephalinase inhibition? Would be interessting.
I also looked in the German wikipedia. There was nothing about this, too.
But something else that is interessting.
Die getrockneten Blätter und besonders das Lactucarium müssen als stark giftig eingestuft werden. Eine Einnahe von wesentlich mehr als ein Gramm Lactucarium ruft zuerst Kopfschmerz, Schweissausbrüche und Schwindel hervor, und die Vergiftung kann bis zum Herzstillstand führen.
Translation:
The dried leaves and especially the lactucarium have to be classified as strongly poisonous. An ingestion of substantially more than one gram lactucarium causes first headache, strong perspiration and dizziness. And the intoxication can result in cardiac arrest.

So maybe it is better to use it a little bit cautiously. But the text says also that there were no known intoxifications in the last time.

Okay, so this is is my first post on BL but ive been reading forums and ingesting plants of all kinds frequently since i was 16, brugmansia datura and belladona, all natural well known etheogens besides ibogaine, tobacco and pot, lactuca sp. and vir. pods and seeds of the papaver, kratom, kava, basically eberything on the herbal isle and spice isle everything basically besides rando online admixtures. Curiosity has yet to kill this cat :). So im 22 and just moved into a place where they have absolute loads of Lactuca Sp. So i tried handfuls in tea, a.d god definite effects. Rather large amounts of tea were ingested Like a carls jr large, but to definite effects. Short of pot by alot, but useful and interesting. It made me feel tingly and sedated, but later more pronouncedly hypnotic. I wouldnt really feel anything, just tingly, and stare at my mirror blank face occasionally giggling because im still staring and all i can think and feel is "fuzzy" or like, "bzzzzzzz", like ringling in my ears was everywhere physically. when i moveD this was oddly gone instantly besides persistant tingling in my extremities. Felt strange. mild euphoria, little warm tingles. I took a shot later on and it definitely synergized, changing the ringing deeling slightly and increasing thehypnotic and euphoric effects to where i was WAY more fucked up after 3 shots than i should be. Im a very heavy drinker, like two half gallons of vodka a week normally. I smoked some pot later and slept like a baby, im normally a horrible insomniac even if i get drunk AND blaze So that was dope, good sleep aid. now its two days later and ive collecting sap to try smoking. Ive been slicing a half an inch off the stalks of my lactuca sp, thick stalks, and they ooze white. When it dries a bit to orangy i swipe it off with a knife and cut off another half inch. little tedious but not bad i got two smokes out of it with one afternoons work. Last night was round number one but id been drinking and smoking and i just felt a little more tired and tingly. This morning i decisded to put iton my wake andbake bowl, itnot only amoked better but i definitely am still super zoney, as if i had a few dabs, and tingly. This stuff strongly resembles hypnotics to me. Well thats my two cents, hope i did this right!

ok, im just trying my luck with some 100:1 Lactuca virosa extract.

tried something like 150mg and there is something going on, although not very strong. gonna go a bit higher today.

these are the papers i found to be relevant:

Analgesic and sedative activities of lactucin and some lactucin-like guaianolides in mice

Untersuchungen zur Darstellung von Lactucin und Lactucopikrin aus Lactuca-virosa-Pflanzen

Biomedical analysis of New Psychoactive Substances (NPS) of natural origin

gonna read through christian rätschs encyclopädia article on lactuca virosa.

as said, some effect but not that strong so far.

some ingredients that already got their own wiki entry, if somebody knows the main constituent please mention it:

ok, dose related statements from christian rätsch:

A psychoactive dose is 28 g lettuce leaves (MILLER 1988: 1170; as the medicinal, largest single dose of the lactucarium
0.3g; the total daily dose is 1.0 g (ROTH et al. 1994: 4440.

Lactucin adenosine agonist? Interesting I'm trying to finish making my coffee fix (adenosine antagonist).

But, I might check out scholar.google.com out of interest.

Great posts izo. Do you use scholar.google ? Or maybe have a better search engine

Reactions: izo
about the ingredients:

ingredients
The Lactucarium contains the sedatively effective sesquiterpene lactone bitter substances (guaianolides) lactucin (C,5H„05) and its p-
Hydroxyphenylacetic acid ester, lactupicrin (= lactucopicrin)'ys, as well as triterpene alcohols (lactucerol), a melampol
Glycoside (lactuside A) and other guaianolides (11ß,13-dihydrolactucin, 8deoxylactucin,
jacquineline, zaluzanine derivatives;
STOJAKOWSKA et al. 1993 and 1994). In the older literature, the presence of a "hyoscyamine-like
alkaloids” (cf. tropane alkaloids) (FROHNE and PFÄNDER 1983: 67£*).
Incidentally, opium-like alkaloids also occur in garden lettuce or lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) (BIBRA 1855: 259*). if
When the lettuce shoots out and forms stalks, a white milky juice is produced that contains alkaloids that have a sedative effect (RÄTSCH
1995a* and 1995c* ). The variety Lactuca sativa var. capitata L. grown as a garden lettuce is also called lettiice opium or frerich
lactucarilitrl (BROWN and MALONE 1978: 23*).

and about its effects:

Effect
Lactucarium has analgesic, sedative and antitussive effects (STOJAKOWSKA et al. 1993). The effect
was formerly even compared to that of deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna) (HARLAN 1986: 10). You also have them to explain
used for the kava effect (see Piper methysticum).
The effect is described as a "weak dream state" (MILLER 1988:
118*) or aphrodisiac »high«.
The pioneer Freiherr Ernst von Bibra (18061878), who experimented a lot with Lactucarium, came to the following conclusion:
»Very similar to opium, the lactucarium appears to consist of the various species and varieties of the lactuca species
possessing somewhat different properties, but in the main effects it is the same, like opium."
(BIBRA 1855: 255* )
The guaiane-type sesquiterpene lactones found in latex, which are often present as glycosides, are said to be responsible for the sedative
effect (STOJAKOWSKA et al. 1994: 93).

the three main constituents from the following paper:

Analgesic and sedative activities of lactucin and some lactucin-like guaianolides in mice

"The effect was formerly compared to deadly nightshade" :unsure:

dont know what to make out of this statement. the plant is know as giftlattich in germany, so poison lettuce. but so far no great intoxication is going on, gonna go up to 300mg 100:1 extract today. the other german paper i mentioned says that it is not that easy to get all ingredients out of the plant without destroying them. will report back.

ok, 300mg 100:1x extract taken in a few doses orally, along with a light dose of mephedrene. its somehow sedating, not strong but definetively active.

I remember another thread I saw somewhere on here where someone took wild lettuce with their bupe and got great effects. That was the only other thread I've read on wild lettuce

its somehow sedating, not strong but definetively active.

just added a bit of wine. it doesnt get much stronger. even a bit more sweaty than normal but that might be beause i woke up with a massive opioid hangover (mixed some kratom with mainly brorphine and low amounts of morphine, brorphine is such a waste tbo...)

I have used wild lettuce a few times this year. I find that it works for pain but the issue I have with it is that the sedative effects are stronger than the painkilling effects, so it makes me very sleepy. This is ok if I don't have much to do but if when I have things to do (which is most of the time) i feel like it decreases my motivation. I am getting over covid right now and I tried taking some for the covid body aches but I found it added to the fatigue I was already feeling. Might give it one more try after I get over covid completely.

The active in lettuce opium is not an opioid, it is an enkephalinase inhibitor, which prevents the breakdown of the bodys own endorphins and enkephalins.

Get you high it will not, but it may well be useful for retarding withdrawal symptoms in those dependent on opioids, and will potentiate opiates taken with it.

If its anything like other enkephalinase blockers, it will not produce a tolerance which causes an opiate tolerance, BUT an opioid tolerance will make one tolerant to the enkephalinase inhibitor.

While this post is over a decade old it needs bumping. This information is not as widely known as it should be.

-GC

@izo Ive had best success with fresh latex, anything that’s stored or dried seems to be ineffective.

-GC

I have read that Wild Lettuce, although unimpressive on it's own, is a very good opiate potentiator. This would make sense if it is, in fact, an enkephalinase inhibitor.
I've been meaning to try this with a tea from the plant myself since it is a weed.

I would love to hear a report from someone who has tried this.

@izo Ive had best success with fresh latex, anything that’s stored or dried seems to be ineffective.

this might be the case, see the following paper:

Untersuchungen zur Darstellung von Lactucin und Lactucopikrin aus Lactuca-virosa-Pflanzen

anyway, will test the extract again today, stil have 1,1g.