EMD Lets Talk Trance - The New and Official Trance Discussions Thread

《Plasticity》;12634482 said:
Anyone know what sub-genre of trance this falls under? If any... Struggling to find something with a similar feel, quite unique. Straight up no synth, no nonsense trance.

[video=youtube_share;0jhhFeK-AgA]http://youtu.be/0jhhFeK-AgA[/video]

Tech trance. There is also a more commercial side to that's style, but the driving darker stuff is good. A lot of Sander Van Doorns earlier stuff is like this.

thanks to my sister for giving me this as a birthday present back in the day

My sister gave me this is a present as well. I'll never forget the first time I heard the key change on binary finary - 1998. And gamemaster is my all time favourite tune.

Nice to see some old trance being linked about .. have quite a collection myself :)

^ link some. i've been playin the ol' trance stuff quite a bit last few days

good looks ali. i recall the name... cream, homelands. was so into trance back then. haven't heard anything new in the longest...

^I fucking love silver bath. When I was going to trance clubs on a regular basis in about 2002-2005, this was the ultimate tune for absolutely tearing everyone to pieces.

It just kind of plods along in quite a hypnotic and ploddy manner; very progressive sounding.

Then the break down builds and you hear those little zaps and it just unleashes itself as an absolute MIKE/Push/Plastic Boy monster.

Everybody would be fucked on MDMA, up on their mates shoulders, hands in the air. Utter dancefloor destruction. =D

The beauty in silver bath is that it's underground and very non-commercial, but it's got a breakdown which takes you by surprise if you've never heard it before.

My first time was up on the steps at a Godskitchen arena event on my first pill with a few friends and a bottle of poppers, watching about 10,000 people absolutely lose it. You never forget. =D

Thankfully this is documented, although you can't see 10,000 people going fucking mental. But you can hear them. =D

Video footage below:

Last edited:
Footage from my first pill of Plastic Boy - Silver Bath (I didn't record it, I was in amongst it all, off my face). This reminds me why I hold ecstasy in such a high regard. It's just special, innit. :)

[video]https://youtu.be/HcRJ7wEa_Dk?t=1627[/video]

*Edit: Why can't I insert timestaps to embedded video links anymore? Anybody know if the code changed? If a mod could fix it to play an embedded link at 27:21, I'd appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
Silver bath is a tuuuune

Try this

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjB0rWy3fV4[/video]

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLihqb4PGA[/video]

Also a gooden

And has anyone heard Art Of Trance - Madagascar (Domi-nation remix) .. the voice sample gives me goosebumps everytime..

I wish i could get a chance to listen to it on mdma only i dont take it anymore lol [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmre3RMZ-IU[/video]

Last edited:
I'm really surprised I haven't heard of that Binary Binary track.

The Oliver Lieb tune is spectacular, I'm surprised I don't have it in my collection.

Adore this:

Another dark driver.

"Thought is the basis of all reality, the energy of thought... is very powerful. Thought is the essence of where you are now"

Last edited:
When im next at the library ill be looking all these up with my USB stick at the ready .. to add to my collection

I'm really surprised I haven't heard of that Binary Binary track.
binary finary? there's a pvd remix of 1998 which is just bonkers.

it's one of a list of trance tracks which i heard everywhere and seemed to be on every compilation and in every dj set in the late 90s. tracks like:

energy 52 - cafe del mar
three drives - greece 2000
agnelli & nelson - el nino
da hool - meet her at the love parade

this was a little later but no less epic: bedrock/digweed - heaven scent

choon!

alasdair

^ that is exactly the stuff i am seeking.
you should search for some of the big name trance compilations from around that time. stuff like the gatecrasher series would probably appeal - there are a lot of them but this 'greatest hits' looks to be exactly what you are looking for: Gatecrasher Trance Anthems 1993-2009

aside, i have one of these in a box somewhere: gatecrasher black velvet. it may be worth something one day :)

the euphoria series was also pretty good and the early one (#1 through #5) should have plenty of what you want: Euphoria (compilations)

the reactivate series has a lot of stuff but blows a bit hot and cold - #13 through #15 are good from memory.: Reactivate

finally, the legendary global underground series would probably have some stuff you would like. not such a big emphasis on the household-name epic club trance tracks but some sublime mixing and real 'musical journey' stuff. again, lots to choose from but personal favourites (in no particular order):

003, nick warren, prague
006, john digweed, sydney
009, sasha, san francisco
011, nick warren, budapest
024, nick warren, reykjavik

finally, finally, i used to have some great, small-label compilations and dj sets. i have no idea where you would ever find them but i really enjoyed christopher lawrence - hook recordings. in fact, you could do a lot worse than checking out other stuff by christopher lawrence.

that's all i got for now. check some of it out and get back to me - i'd love to hear your thoughts.

alasdair

Last edited:
p.s. this is great: paul van dyk - seven ways

when i was living in san francisco in about 1999 i bought a whole new bunch of stereo separates and new speakers. this was the disc i took to the stores to try out components and speakers :)

how 'forbidden fruit (forbidden future mix)' sounded was pretty much the acid test :)

alasdair

Last edited:
binary finary? there's a pvd remix of 1998 which is just bonkers.

it's one of a list of trance tracks which i heard everywhere and seemed to be on every compilation and in every dj set in the late 90s. tracks like:

energy 52 - cafe del mar
three drives - greece 2000
agnelli & nelson - el nino
da hool - meet her at the love parade

this was a little later but no less epic: bedrock/digweed - heaven scent

choon!

alasdair

Oh yeah, I'm certainly aware of Binary Finary! My phone just corrects to Binary Binary, annoyingly.

Like I said in a previous post, my sister also bought me the Tranceport CD for a birthday once and I can still remember hearing the key change on 1998 (and being blown away).

I fucking love trance. Have done since I was about 11. I see decided at about 14 that I wanted to take a pill in a club... and the rest is history. =D

I used to have most of those GU albums you mention, Ali. :) Sold them all because I'm not too fussed about owning physical CD's... My (digital) music collection is my favourite thing though. The four disc deep dish Toronto is a special GU.

This is a life defining tune from the progressive era for me.every time I take psychedelics,this is there.

Last edited:
p.s. this is great: paul van dyk - seven ways

when i was living in san francisco in about 1999 i bought a whole new bunch of stereo separates and new speakers. this was the disc i took to the stores to try out components and speakers :)

how 'forbidden fruit (forbidden future mix)' sounded was pretty much the acid test :)

alasdair

I did the same thing using this tune a few years later :)