• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Let's Talk Stanley Kubrick

CosmicG

Bluelighter
I have been on quite the Kubrick kick recently, and thought it might be interesting to start a thread dedicated to the man where we can talk about some of his movies; the hidden meaning/symbolism that can be found in his works, the dark/haunting atmosphere, and the play on the human psyche that he seems to be known for. A few films that I have seen by Kubrick:

The Shining- An excellent horror film I think, though it is so much different in comparison to the novel it is based off of written by Stephen King, which he was famously displeased about. Excellent atmosphere overall though, Jack Nickolson killed his role as a man completely lost his mind.
JH5RxlM.jpg

Full-Metal Jacket- Solid war film overall, though it always threw me off how the beginning of the movie had no connection to the beginning.
BbCuCdu.jpg

A Clockwork Orange- Probably my favorite Kubrick film seen thus far, and the very first one I ever saw. Great concept based on the novel written by Anthony Burgess. The novel could be somewhat hard to decipher for some as it written in its own language really, with lits of made-up words and unique way of speaking. The artwork in the film is great, and is a film that can be enjoyed thoroughly from beginning to end countless times.
i9rhcrX.jpg

Eyes Wide Shut- Haunting music, dream-like scenery/atmosphere, different premise then other Kubrick films as it seen in a more modern-day type atmosphere then other Kubrick films in the past. Also the final film he made before passing. I watched it for the first time last night, and it threw me off a bit. Starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, I was already skeptical going in. I found many of the scenes hypnotizing, and even when seemingly drawn out, it was hard to look away. I couldn't tell if I liked it or just wanted to like it. Will have to give it a second view.
mv3Xn6U.jpg

I plan on watching 2001: Space Odyssey today, and will share my thoughts on it later today, though I here some consider it the best science fiction movie of all time.
DljQu2o.jpg

So those are just a few to get the thread going that I have seen. What are your favorite Kubrick films? Which ones did I forget? Which is the best and which is the first? Hidden symbolism/meaning? Let's talk about some of these films in depth! Looking forward to your thoughts, opinions, and insight.

2001 is my favourite Kubrick film, although I have not seen them all. I don't think you will be disappointed. :)

Dr Strangelove is really good as well if you have not seen it.

Spartacus holds up surprisingly well as a more mature epic than Ben-Hur or the 10 commandments, Kurt Douglas is really good in it. As well as Peter Ustinov.

Barry Lyndon I found to be long but worthwhile. Ryan O'Neal is tremendously charismatic as the lead. The story is so nuanced, in both being a historical account of the time period and a drama commenting on class, as well as a look at characters. Its also deeply a comedy and a satire. The camera work is masterful. Kubrick's best movie you've never heard of.

Lolita was interesting, and Peter Sellers performance was excellent. Its an interesting look back at something that was "racy" for 1962.

I've yet to see The Killing or Paths of Glory.

i absolutely love the atmosphere of 'eyes wide shut' - may not be his 'best' film but probably my favourite.

while the big kubrick hits of the 70s are obviously great cinema, you should definitely check out his earlier work. 'the killing' is great and 'paths of glory' is a glorious tale of the madness of war. 'barry lyndon' is also incredible and often overlooked by those checking out his work.

alasdair

2001 is my favourite Kubrick film, although I have not seen them all. I don't think you will be disappointed. :) Dr Strangelove is really good as well if you have not seen it.
Excellent observation 2001 is best viewed on a nice dose of Valium 10-60 Mg. IMO ,

...is a cinematic masterpiece. In my top 5 favourite movies of all time.

I need to watch this. I do love Kubrick but havent seen this or much of his pre70s stuff. I do agree about Eyes Wide Shut. The tension in that movie is insane. I wonder why so many dislike it?

Dr. Strangelove was definitely worth watching.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

I keep putting off 2001: A Space Odyssey because a long time ago I heard it was boring. Part of me wants to see it solely because of how much it's mentioned or referenced in other movies and TV shows.

Guess im another for dr strangelove then a clockwork orange though the wife hated both films.

remember watching 2001: Space Odyssey when i was a little kid, that chess scene scared the shit out of me

heard he faked moon landing :D duno if true or not but he would be perfect man for the job no doubt

Last edited: