• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Leonardo DiCaprio reveals his childhood surrounded by drugs as he defends The Wolf of

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Leonardo DiCaprio reveals his childhood surrounded by drugs as he defends The Wolf of Wall Street role
ANTONIA MOLLOY Sunday 02 February 2014

But Oscar-nominated star Leonardo DiCaprio has revealed that his own upbringing was poverty-stricken – and that he would never experiment with drugs.

The Wolf of Wall Street actor, who spent the first nine years of his life in a run-down Hollywood neighbourhood, explained that there was a "major prostitution ring on my street corner, crime and violence everywhere".

"It really was like 'Taxi Driver' in a lot of ways," he said.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, the 39-year-old talked about being "very poor", as he defended his decision to play the amoral Jordan Belfort in Martin Scorsese’s critically acclaimed The Wolf of Wall Street.

The film received five Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay. But some critics have called out its amoral portrayal of a life fuelled by sex, drugs and, of course, money.

DiCaprio has publicly defended his role, but his wealth and success have served to weaken his arguments in the eyes of some.

But his latest comments set the record straight. "Who am I to talk about this? It goes back to that neighbourhood. It came from the fact that I grew up very poor and I got to see the other side of the spectrum," he said.

DiCaprio told the Los Angeles Times that acting served as a route out of a life where it was not unusual for him to witness "people smoking crack and shooting heroin".

He would beg his mother to take him to auditions because he hated attending public school.

And when success came, DiCaprio’s early experiences meant that avoiding the wilder excesses of Hollywood proved a "walk in the park" and that he has "never done [drugs]".

The 86 Academy Awards takes places on Sunday 2 March the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...nds-the-wolf-of-wall-street-role-9102356.html

Great movie. 3 hours or whatever it was didn't seem like 3 hours as I was so into it.

And when success came, DiCaprio’s early experiences meant that avoiding the wilder excesses of Hollywood proved a "walk in the park" and that he has "never done [drugs]".

Define "drugs" Leo.

I hate to emulate a broken record player, but, "ethanol and nicotine" are not just inactive constituents of a beverage or a plant.

P.S. - I don't harbor any animosity towards drinkers/smokers - that is, until they start to claim in a holier-than-thou tone that they "don't do drugs!" Oh fuck off.

This seems a bit holier-than-thou to me. I cannot be alone here...

In another life, I could have ended up never having done hard drugs. A long sequence of events led me to them in this one. If I had never done them, might I look down on those who do? I cannot answer this question. And even though he grew up in poverty and had a rough life, if things had been slightly different in that rough life, might DiCaprio have picked up? It's not something most people plan out for a long time. It all can happen so fast.

My mother used to use similar reasoning. Because she didn't do drugs as a kid, she would claim that this was due to some superior reasoning skills she had back then, when the reality is more like her life path just didn't ever cross them. It's not something that's really a moral shortcoming or some innate lack-of-judgement. Getting roped into drugs is typically an involved process that includes many different forces working together to lead the person to it. And it just drives me nuts when people hoist themselves up so high for never doing them, when, for example, they don't have a tenth of the strength of mind over drugs that a person who did them and got clean has. It is an extreme act of arrogance to look down on someone who could easily have been you if one little thing in your life had panned out differently.

Last edited:
^ very well put.
I guess the stigma of drug use/addiction etc leads to this kind of statement being made, and then making headlines.

Seems to me like this is an information war in the MSM.

A flurry of articles at the unfortunate demise of one "celebrity" (with sentiments of empathy and compassion openly expressed by many) need to be countered, for propaganda purposes, with a bit of whipped-up stigmatising.
...or is it just me?

Never saw the film.

Gotta agree with ro on that shit dont past judgement cause you fancy a different drug of choice.

Red leader that's a great post and very interesting perspective.

Im sure hes done his fair share of bad shit in life just like all of us so what some choose drug use.

Great movie. 3 hours or whatever it was didn't seem like 3 hours as I was so into it.

The book was a scream, I've been hanging for this for about four years since it was first announced. Suffice to say, it did not disappoint, containing the whole sordid story within three hours was a feat IMO